Gary Franczyk
United States
Windermere
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some thoughts on the design.

Player Colors

I found it strange that the player colors match the colors of the buildings/carts, though there is no reason to in gameplay. Perhaps I missed something in the rules? I think it would have made more sense to use different colors for the player pieces, such as pink, orange, green, purple.

I would have said that this decision was to reduce manufacturing cost, but I don't believe there were any non-player wooden pieces manufactured in the same colors. It was just printed on cardboard and cards. Why would this decision be made? They could have made the blocks a different color. I wonder if the rules originally had some link between player color and the block colors that was removed during development.

At this point, I think it would be reasonable to paint the player pieces a different set of colors.

Painting the blocks

Also, I found it strange that the blocks were all grey, even though they were assigned a "color". I suspect that this is for manufacturing costs. Because painting and providing a large number of wooden blocks would be very expensive, I believe unpainted plastic blocks were used. Because they knew that would not be possible, the rules were probably written in order to work around this limitation.

I understand that if you paint the blocks, you could possibly run out of a single color before you run out of others, effectively bumping up against some of the rules and design decisions. For example, the game ends if you run out of blocks. I suspect that you likely would run out of a particular color before running out of others. Painting them would give you 18 blocks of each color.

I think the rules would have to be modified so that the game might have to end after any particular color ran out. I will say that some would agree that the game can play long, and that ending the game a little earlier due to running out of blocks would not be unwelcome.

The game may look even more amazing on the board if the pieces were painted, however the rules around block limitations would have to be modified as described above to support that.

I'd be interested to hear from the designers or developers as to the reasons for the design decisions, as well as discussion and thoughts from other BGG members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmb
franczyk wrote:
I have some thoughts on the design.

Player Colors

I found it strange that the player colors match the colors of the buildings/carts, though there is no reason to in gameplay. Perhaps I missed something in the rules? I think it would have made more sense to use different colors for the player pieces, such as pink, orange, green, purple.

I would have said that this decision was to reduce manufacturing cost, but I don't believe there were any non-player wooden pieces manufactured in the same colors. It was just printed on cardboard and cards. Why would this decision be made? They could have made the blocks a different color. I wonder if the rules originally had some link between player color and the block colors that was removed during development.

The colours the player pieces are painted in are pretty much standard colours.

Yes... I remember somebody thinking like you and deciding to use weird colours in that game they published back then... then everybody comes along and asks: why did they go for weird colours? Why didn't they go with yellow, red, green and blue like everybody else?

I think you're a minority.

Regarding the blocks, it's the most efficient way to make the components both practical and usable without making the game more expensive for you to purchase. It's a clever system to identify different values for identical components.

Personally I'm very happy with how the game turned out. It looks great and has great components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bailey
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This bothered me too. I thought about painting at least the base brick for each color space. In most instances you don't use every spot on the board though, but you might need the gray bricks to build upwards.

My solution was print 3/4" square color chips on cardstock that we put on the topmost brick under the Roman of each stack. The chip rests inside the top lip of the pieces. It works pretty good and gives us the flexibility to use all the bricks while not having to alter the original game pieces.

It was a really cheap and easy solution and does the trick visually. It's no big deal to make - I'd be happy to share my PDF, just geekmail me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Franczyk
United States
Windermere
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of my idea of painting them is to prevent accidentally knocking them over and confusing which ones went where, and to make it easy track without needed a player board slot. I can see an issue with players that have a tendency to cheat claiming that a block was yellow when it was really black or blue. (not that I play those types often)

Though, I don't think knocking towers over is a real issue in practice, since most everyone has put so much thought into how many towers to place on each position that they will likely be able to remember which went where easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know where we can buy more of these bricks? I know other games have them but look to be slightly different in size/shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paxton73 wrote:
Anyone know where we can buy more of these bricks? I know other games have them but look to be slightly different in size/shape.

I think coloring the blocks would be more trouble than it's worth, since you're going to have to come up with an alternate method of keeping up with how many blocks have been used - assuming you're going to get a bunch of extra blocks so you won't run out of a particular color.

Remember, the game ends when the supply of blocks in the market and general supply have been used up. Rare that it ends this way, but it can happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Franczyk
United States
Windermere
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, I think you'd have to change the rules to say that the game ends when any of the 5 colors run out. Each pile would have 18 blocks. It would likely end the game earlier, but I don't think that is a bad thing since this game tends to run a little long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KABIA66 wrote:
This bothered me too. I thought about painting at least the base brick for each color space. In most instances you don't use every spot on the board though, but you might need the gray bricks to build upwards.

My solution was print 3/4" square color chips on cardstock that we put on the topmost brick under the Roman of each stack. The chip rests inside the top lip of the pieces. It works pretty good and gives us the flexibility to use all the bricks while not having to alter the original game pieces.

It was a really cheap and easy solution and does the trick visually. It's no big deal to make - I'd be happy to share my PDF, just geekmail me.

I am thinking of buying this game and I am wondering why it is important to know what color the bricks are after placing them. Do you add to the stack of bricks once they are placed on the board? Does it hinder game play by not knowing what color the stacks are without looking at the base on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Franczyk
United States
Windermere
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all. The gameplay works perfectly fine just as is. Please don't think for a second that my desire to paint them is to make up for a deficiency in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand wanting to paint the bricks for visual appeal, it was the post that I included in my original comment that made me think there may be a hindrance to the game (placing color chits on top of each brick in a stack to indicate the tower's color.) Why would this be necessary? I'm sorry I'm just not getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having 18 bricks of each colour would add another level of strategy and tactics to the game, making a shortage of a certain colour a factor to consider when purchasing bricks and building structures. The game ending conditions could remain as they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.