Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I recently got this game on a trade and had no idea there was a second edition in the works. Of course I kicked myself for not doing research but I have been interested in the game for awhile. Anyway, I tend to believe if someone puts out a second edition with different rules that there must be big issues with the first edition. Is that the case? Is this game still fun and worth having in the first edition? I would like to play it to get my own opinion but just wanted a heads up. Are their huge changes from 1st to 2nd edition? Can I just download the 2nd edition rules to play with 1.0 if needed?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is playable and there is a newer version of the rulebook on the soda pop website.

Switching to 2.0 rules would require a copy of the forgotten King base game and an upgrade pack. This will also allow you to play arcade mode, which is co-op.

I'll let someone else address your other questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, do you know what big things they changed from the 1.0 to 1.5 rulebook? Or was it a bunch of little things? Just wondering, I am pretty familiar with the original rulebook now and was just wondering.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathosis wrote:
Cool, do you know what big things they changed from the 1.0 to 1.5 rulebook? Or was it a bunch of little things? Just wondering, I am pretty familiar with the original rulebook now and was just wondering.

Thanks

No, not really... I think it's little things and clarifications but I learned with the 1.5 book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, honestly I don't even know of the book I have is the 1.0 or 1.5. Does anyone know a way to tell? Since it was a trade I don't know how new this version was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Pathosis wrote:
I see, honestly I don't even know of the book I have is the 1.0 or 1.5. Does anyone know a way to tell? Since it was a trade I don't know how new this version was.

I don't have a paper copy of the v1.5 rules (just the PDF) but the PDF v1.5 has "Rules Version 1.5" on page 4 (bottom left).

The paper copy I have (which should be the original version) doesn't have any version number on page 4.

Also, the "Playtesters and Contributions" section on page 4 is only 6 lines instead of 12 (heh, which includes my name).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love first edition! I've played a ton of it and still think it's a blast.

The biggest downside to 1E is the smaller number of bad guys. You've got kobolds/dragons, Roxxor's mixed crew (turtles and fire monsters) and Von Drakk's scary undead. After Forgotten King, there were a whole heck of a lot more, and once 2E ships, you'll have even more.

I vastly prefer the original rules to the co-op rules in Forgotten King. It's just too easy to game the system and force the monsters to take stupid, pointless actions that end up benefiting the players. Having a smart bad guy makes the game a lot more challenging.

I haven't even played Forgotten King in versus mode. I default back to 1E when I play, though right now, I'm sort of holding off for Legends so my wife and I can start a huge SDE pseudo-RPG campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.