Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played zombicide, the original version, a couple times now, and am wondering about getting it. I realize there are several versions, however so I was hoping gamers could clarify a few things for me.

First, what is with these "seasons" and then Black Plague? Are the seasons stand alone? Or are they expansions for the original? I understand Black Plague is a stand alone game. How significant are the rule changes across all these versions?

This is random, but what do players think about the "back from the dead" rule mechanic? When I first played Zombicide, I do not think the expansion that brought in that rule existed yet, however, the last game I played, included this new rule. To me, it takes the fun out of being scared of dying. I will say, only being able to get hit twice seems harsh, but now, after dying, being able to withstand 5 additional hits seems almost silly. Thoughts on this? Is this rule included in Black Plague?

Finally, the main reason I am thinking about getting it is because my girlfriend enjoyed the game. So if I were to get it, we would primarily be playing 2 player games. Understandably, some scenarios are probably best with more players, but how does Black Plague scale for just 2 players? Are one of the new "seasons" better at 2 player play?

Sorry this is a disorganized post. I appreciate any input!

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombicide is funded/published through the kickstarter crowdfunding website, each "season" compares to one kickstarter project, one being held each year up till now. for now only the projects for modern zombicide version are denoted by the season nr either 1, 2 or 3.

each season has a standalone box along with extra survivors and smaller expansions and some big expansions.
between seasons 1/2/3 there are very little basic rules changes, with the latter adding a few new rules but they are completely compatible.

with black plague, there has been an overhaul of the rules, some based on player community suggestions, and is generally seen as zombicide v2. furthermore, black plague uses the fantasy/medieval theme instead of the modern theme.
being a different theme, its not directly compatible with previous seasons though ruleswise the general gameplay is very similar so it is possible to combine both if you wish.

most scenarios from any of the zombicide versions are scaled for 4-6 survivors for the difficulty level.
being a co-op game you can play it with any number of players from 1 to 6 while keeping the nr of survivors at 4-6, so should fit 2 players nicely each playing 2-3 survivors.
black plague and season 3 allow scaling up to 12 survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Angelsenoir, he covers most points.

I just wanted to add a vote for 2 players; I mostly play this game with my wife, 2 player works great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bethany
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
The back from the dead rule is not included in Z:BP. I think everything else you asked was covered above.

Edit: This actually makes it great with just two players, since you control more than one survivor. So when one guy bites it, you still have great tension of feeling the pressure without being left out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, Angelus provided a great answer.

I'd add that Z:BP is my first time playing this game, and I often play with my wife, too. And she isn't into board games (or zombies), so that says something about the low barrier of entry. Heh. Like others have said, player count almost doesn't matter since you always play with a certain number of characters. The only thing lacking when player count goes down is the fun discussions about who is going to take a risk and lead the zombies away or make a run toward the horde to try and break open that door, etc.

Normally, when you control multiple characters (like 3 each for you and your wife), you can decide the order of turns for your three characters and change it up each round. Whereas if you had six players with one character each, they have to follow a set turn order. Which makes things harder. So as you get better, you can impose the same kind of restriction when you two play (ie, a set turn order). Which is nice.

I backed the KS, so I have tons more material coming. And I am definitely enjoying the core game. But I will say that this is one game where the core box is not enough. I can't speak to the modern "seasons" of Z-cide, but with BP you will definitely want to pick up at least some more survivors (so you can switch up your team) and some more vault cards. The base game only comes with two, which virtually eliminates the element of surprise when you plunder the two included vaults. There are also some new enemy classes that won't be in the base game that looks cool, such as archer zombies, wolves, and crows.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.