Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: Question about contents of card only OP packs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I am approaching an outlook of being happy that the trend for OP prizing seems to be bending towards not including models, but does anyone know if the movement dial for the creature is included?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The movement dials should be the same as the ones that came with the underlying creatures. Meaning that all Red Dracolichs have the same movement dials, as well as all Adult Black Shadow Dragons. The OP prizes would just be a new card and base template (and some other upgrade cards).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Well, that gets down to the reason why I ask. If they are included I can be firmly in the camp of those who think this is assuredly a good thing. Alternatively if there is no movement dial that means the pack is potentially worthless, and certainly worth less, without having also bought the accompanying retail version. Since there is no requirement on having the model to field the creature, only the base plate and dial, and the ST:AW packs that are model-less include a dial so they can be used, I am hoping the same is true here.

I very, very rarely play dragons and as such have no desire to pay for the red dracolich, but for those times I do like to include one it would be nice to have the OP options.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ajones81 wrote:
Well, that gets down to the reason why I ask. If they are included I can be firmly in the camp of those who think this is assuredly a good thing. Alternatively if there is no movement dial that means the pack is potentially worthless, and certainly worth less, without having also bought the accompanying retail version. Since there is no requirement on having the model to field the creature, only the base plate and dial, and the ST:AW packs that are model-less include a dial so they can be used, I am hoping the same is true here.

I very, very rarely play dragons and as such have no desire to pay for the red dracolich, but for those times I do like to include one it would be nice to have the OP options.


I hear you. I'm looking forward to playing these OPs, but I don't really care about these prizes as I don't own the dracolich or shadow black. If I win them, I'll probably give them away to players who do. I still think they should have gone with the dragons from the starter set. That would have been more interesting and appealing for more players since we all have them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Huttner
United States
Mount Crawford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd just buy the figures, even if I buy one figure a month. Both figures look awesome, especially the dracolich (one of my faves). Dracolich is competitive and will have three great options (two named and unnamed).

Dracolich can equip two breath weapons (shadow and fire) without point penalty and both named versions have good abilities.

I can see the complaints about the Shadow Black bc less options, but Dracolich is great. He is worth the investment.

I hope they do the starter variants eventually as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is a good model, the dracolich is boring to use. It does one thing, and it does it well, but that's all it is. The shadow black is a rubbish model. I would have preferred a regular black.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Squire
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
The movement dial is not included. It is just cards and a new base template.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
CrazyOrcGamer wrote:
The movement dial is not included. It is just cards and a new base template.


Well, I think that is really unfortunate. I am not anxious to see the game stop being supported and I think the move to a no-sculpt prize structure is a way to make it more feasible to keep going at lower participation rates. And as a marketing strategy I applaud it greatly. But as a player it leaves me feeling mixed about the change.

I play to spend time with the great people who make up the base at my local venues, but it is nice to get something back for the entry fees. Going from paying for the event with the possibility of winning a playable prize to paying to win something that I will never use, but rather given away to someone who will use it, might make me feel good about myself as a person... but it is nice to win something useful too!

It is obviously too early to say anything about how the rest of the prizes will shake out, but this first pack in particular being almost entirely cards that can only be used with the model that it doesn't come with is another mark in the negative column. Something with upgrades that could at least be used outside the retail creature would be nice to see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you have the same feeling about the Heiracosphinx? the fact that there is a fig included doesn't change that I'll probably never use it. It didn't reduce my desire to keep playing.

To me, this seems like a good way way to make the kits cheaper, while also encouraging people to buy the product (which is really their reason to make the game at all).

Besides, I'm not understanding why you wouldn't want the dracolich card...it seems pretty good, even if you dont have the fig yet (and the base figure is pretty playable on its own).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Beorstruk
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me just add that, as someone without access to any OP events for the foreseeable future, if anyone doesn't want their card prizes I'd be happy to take them off your hands. laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
AronR wrote:
Besides, I'm not understanding why you wouldn't want the dracolich card...it seems pretty good, even if you dont have the fig yet (and the base figure is pretty playable on its own).


I love the Sphinx and play it often, but I get the point being made . But the fact remained that it was at least playable, in the literal sense. because it included the dial.

There is not a single OP prize that I have won and not played at least once, and I'm almost certain several times.

I'm not railing against the idea, like you said it makes good business sense. I just really would have liked to see the dials included.

Having paid once for the event and then the expectation being that you pay again for a figure if you 'win' can feel a little like losing and a lot like having someone's hand in your pocket feeling around for your wallet.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neill ramsey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the problem that if I want to field multiple types of that dragon in a tourney or OP, I can't, because I don't have the extra dial to place for movement.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
neillramsey wrote:
I have the problem that if I want to field multiple types of that dragon in a tourney or OP, I can't, because I don't have the extra dial to place for movement.


If you're going to be fielding multiples of the same unit in an official tourney, you're supposed to have all of the figures, so it shouldn't be an issue--you're going to have to buy a second one regardless. The only time that I could see it being an issue is when you're playing a casual game with your friends. just use another method for selecting your movements (write it on a piece of paper, for instance).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
AronR wrote:
neillramsey wrote:
I have the problem that if I want to field multiple types of that dragon in a tourney or OP, I can't, because I don't have the extra dial to place for movement.


If you're going to be fielding multiples of the same unit in an official tourney, you're supposed to have all of the figures, so it shouldn't be an issue--you're going to have to buy a second one regardless. The only time that I could see it being an issue is when you're playing a casual game with your friends. just use another method for selecting your movements (write it on a piece of paper, for instance).


You only need the base and the dial to field a creature, not the model. Which is the whole point of wanting the dial with the cards even if there is no sculpt
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ajones81 wrote:
You only need the base and the dial to field a creature, not the model.

What a disappointing prospect. What is the point of playing if you don't use the models? If I wanted to play with just a cardboard rectangle, I'd go back to Magic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.