Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any feedback on this one yet? Is this the next great 2 player only game? I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts. It would also be great to see a run through sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also really curious about this one. Hopefully we see some reviews soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I ordered it on a whim so hopefully it's good. I think it will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a copy of this game. It's very nice-looking. I did a solo run-through and my initial impression is that it is a good game, but it's not likely to be the next Lost Cities because it has a steeper learning curve.

The game is not difficult, but it's unclear for beginners what to do, or which of the multiple scoring paths to pursue. The disc/boat/shaman moving mechanics are interesting but not very intuitive. Once the game gets rolling, it all starts to make sense, but I can imagine some non-gamers being confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger Yim wrote:
I just got a copy of this game. It's very nice-looking. I did a solo run-through and my initial impression is that it is a good game, but it's not likely to be the next Lost Cities because it has a steeper learning curve.

The game is not difficult, but it's unclear for beginners what to do, or which of the multiple scoring paths to pursue. The disc/boat/shaman moving mechanics are interesting but not very intuitive. Once the game gets rolling, it all starts to make sense, but I can imagine some non-gamers being confused.

I'm glad its not as light as Lost Cities. I was hoping for something more like Targi in terms of fresh mechanics and weight. Thank you for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick write up! I should probably just add this one to my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played one session last week. This isn't a review and I won't explain the game rules, but if you have questions I'll explain how the gameplay feels. It's very thinky, and rewards planning, strategy, and reacting to your opponent's decisions. The game flew by and I found myself wanting to play it again. In any given playthrough there is a lot you haven't done, so you have to push in a direction or two and make the most of it, kind of like how a heavier game like Keyflower or Caverna feels, though it's not the same kind of game at all, and much faster. At first I felt like the eruption cards were too random, but I realized the players choose where new cards are drawn, so you can help make eruptions happen where you want them to (where your jerk opponent just built on the mountain. Plus the lava priestess is always there for you. I would like to play the tactical variant as well, but I'm happy with the regular rules. I highly recommend trying it. I'm considering buying, but just not sure yet, as I have a lot of good 2p games I haven't played yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like high praise for someone who has almost 600 games! Thanks for the write up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
Seems like high praise for someone who has almost 600 games! Thanks for the write up.

Hey Cory, did you get to play? If so... Any update?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozzy,

I preordered the Nations expansion and once it ships I'll have this game too. I'm really looking forward to playing both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
Ozzy,

I preordered the Nations expansion and once it ships I'll have this game too. I'm really looking forward to playing both!

Ah ok. I have been on the fence about this game for like a month and it certainly looks different and fun, but I would like to see more feedback from different players. Them again, I may just pull the trigger on it one of these days. To me, it looks like a really original design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it for the first time this week, and it's an interesting design. It feels a bit like an abstract with a lovely paint job, but it is interesting to play and gets quite involved in mid and end game. Your choices are pretty much limited to placing/removing a disc, and you'll either receive (and usually activate) a card or move your shaman as a result, but it can get pretty finely balanced later in the game, to the extent that you can often find yourself backed into a corner. There's also ample opportunity to mess with your opponent's plans, if you can work out what they are up to.

When the board was pretty full, I often found myself in situations like this: I need to get that third statue onto the grassland to get bonus points! Now I just need to get the boat to that sector with the "Build Statue" card but - gah! - the token I need is already on the board and, even if I could get there, I don't have the numerical majority, so my opponent might take the card from under my nose anyway...but it looks like they might take the black pearl, so...

I didn't come away from it thinking it was the next great thing, but I certainly want to get a couple of more plays in and explore the decisions. For me, while it's not a must buy, it's certainly a should try.

Hope that helps a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickster1970 wrote:
I've played it for the first time this week, and it's an interesting design. It feels a bit like an abstract with a lovely paint job, but it is interesting to play and gets quite involved in mid and end game. Your choices are pretty much limited to placing/removing a disc, and you'll either receive (and usually activate) a card or move your shaman as a result, but it can get pretty finely balanced later in the game, to the extent that you can often find yourself backed into a corner. There's also ample opportunity to mess with your opponent's plans, if you can work out what they are up to.

When the board was pretty full, I often found myself in situations like this: I need to get that third statue onto the grassland to get bonus points! Now I just need to get the boat to that sector with the "Build Statue" card but - gah! - the token I need is already on the board and, even if I could get there, I don't have the numerical majority, so my opponent might take the card from under my nose anyway...but it looks like they might take the black pearl, so...

I didn't come away from it thinking it was the next great thing, but I certainly want to get a couple of more plays in and explore the decisions. For me, while it's not a must buy, it's certainly a should try.

Hope that helps a little.

It certainly did with me. While I play a lot of 2p games, the more I read about this one the less interested I am in buying it blind. I'd love to get a play of it, but I'm not sure anyone I know will pick up a copy. If that's the case I won't feel too bad passing on it.

Thanks again Nick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late to the party... but I played it twice last night and was thoroughly impressed. Like other say, it plays like an abstract. But because of the multiple ways to score, it also feels a bit like a euro.But the most interesting thing is the synergy between placing disk, moving your shaman, and moving the boat. It flows smoothly, there always seem to be ample options (few obvious moves), and it builds tension steadily.

There is a "tactical" variant and while I slightly prefer that variant... the "base" game is quite good (The tactical variant eliminates some luck, which is already mitigateable, and adds another layer of decision).

Overall, I'm impressed and like it quite a bit. And the gameplay came across as quite original/unique. This one is staying in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.