Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: News about Third Edition? and out-of-stock rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone in a gamestore just told me the game's gone out of stock and prices are changing rapidly due to a Third Edition being prepped for 2018.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: News about Third Edition and out-of-stock
Ahh, random Word of Mouth in public. How gossip was spread before the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I let you know when the brand new expansion pack I just pre ordered arrives, the game is still selling and well. The guy doesn't know what he is talking about. And besides the next version is called imperial assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/descent-journ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no way random store guy has inside news about an FFG project 2 years out. Something like that probably doesn't leave FFG headquarters for another year, and is kept behind a tight NDA right up until announcement.

Besides, it still appears to be very much in stock around the web and very affordable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not gonna lie, when I read the title of this post I about fell outta my chair.

No way I'm investing in a 3rd edition the way I did in my 2nd edition lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Cross
msg tools
Well this is how Fantasy Flight will operate to stay in the market. I don't see any problem with making a third edition.

Products have life cycles and the second edition must be heading towards maturity now.

If they take what was right with the second edition (which was a lot) and improve the product in other areas then the end result will be customers playing a better product and fantasy flight making more money!!!!

People can continue to play the second edition, I know I will try to. I have more than enough material to play through before edition 3 hits the stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I doubt they will make a 3rd edition any time soon. But they might make a revised core box that's still compatible with all the released content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Al
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phaelen2003 wrote:
Not gonna lie, when I read the title of this post I about fell outta my chair.

No way I'm investing in a 3rd edition the way I did in my 2nd edition lol.

Same here, might want to change the category for this thread from "News" to "General" so people don't get the wrong impression. Maybe update the title as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to General and added "?" to subject line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleb Eubank
United States
Senatobia
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Considering they just reboxed it with the Heirs of Blood campaign I think it will be a while still. It might have just been his distributor was out for a bit, I think Southern was out the last time I went to order it at my hobby shop but they had it this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as we're in the realm of utter speculation, let's look at FFG's other "third edition" examples:

Twilight Imperium First Edition: 1997
Twilight Imperium Second Edition: 2000
Twilight Imperium Third Edition: 2005

Runebound First Edition: 2004
Runebound Second Edition: 2005
Runebound Third Edition: 2015

Now, that seems to be all over the map, with a generational cycle of 1-10 years. But there's an element that can help put it in context: the publishing of expansions:

Twilight Imperium First Edition: 1997
* Twilight Imperium: Borderlands: 1997
* Twilight Imperium: Distant Suns: 1998
* Twilight Imperium: The Outer Rim: 1998

Twilight Imperium Second Edition: 2000
* Twilight Imperium: Hope's End 2001

Twilight Imperium Third Edition: 2005
* Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire: 2006
* Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shards of the Throne: 2011

Runebound First Edition: 2004
* Runebound: Shadows of Margath (First Edition): 2004

Runebound Second Edition: 2005
* Many, many expansions between 2005-2010
* Mists of Zanaga 2010
* Essential Collection 2011

Runebound Third Edition: 2015

So, looking at the date between the final expansion and the next edition (discounting the Runebound 1st/2d edition outlier), we're seeing a more uniform 2-4 year gap. And that fits with the cycle from Descent first edition to second edition. Sea of Blood was published in 2009, and was the last expansion for Descent First Edition. Second Edition was published in 2012 (a 3-year gap).

So, while it's entirely possible (and maybe even likely) that FFG will publish a 3rd edition, we probably wouldn't see it until 3-4 years after the last 2nd Edition expansion. And since we know an additional expansion, "The Chains That Rust" is planned for late 2016, I would say the absolute soonest we would see a 3rd edition is 2019.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what is the availability of the expansions.

I've been thinking about joining in the Descent train, but am put off by this apparently unfounded rumor and the game's age. I don't want to buy the game and be unable to purchase pretty much most of the expansions and then in the end in just a few years hear about a third edition.

Also financially-wise, I've already "jumped" on the Runebound train. Though it's a bit fishy Runebound's first expansion hasn't yet been announced. Did the game not sell well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
And what is the availability of the expansions.

I've been thinking about joining in the Descent train, but am put off by this apparently unfounded rumor and the game's age. I don't want to buy the game and be unable to purchase pretty much most of the expansions and then in the end in just a few years hear about a third edition.

Also financially-wise, I've already "jumped" on the Runebound train. Though it's a bit fishy Runebound's first expansion hasn't yet been announced. Did the game not sell well?

Any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about availability where you live, but there's been plenty of stock in the U.S., and numerous reprints. This game is not dying; it has an active release schedule (slowed somewhat since Imperial Assault's release, but still active). A new expansion just came out last month along with lieutenant packs, there are hero and monster packs regularly, and the Bilehall booklet promises a companion expansion this year.

Even if new releases stopped today, you'd have:

• Two base-game campaigns (Shadow Rune and the Heirs of Blood replacement/add-on)
• Two full large-expansion campaigns
• Four small-expansion mini campaigns
• Three solo scenarios
• Two quests for each hero and monster pack

Plus the quest vault.

Descent is still going quite strong. I've got nearly all of it so far and I doubt I'll ever play it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
I don't know about availability where you live, but there's been plenty of stock in the U.S., and numerous reprints. This game is not dying; it has an active release schedule (slowed somewhat since Imperial Assault's release, but still active). A new expansion just came out last month along with lieutenant packs, there are hero and monster packs regularly, and the Bilehall booklet promises a companion expansion this year.

Even if new releases stopped today, you'd have:

• Two base-game campaigns (Shadow Rune and the Heirs of Blood replacement/add-on)
• Two full large-expansion campaigns
• Four small-expansion mini campaigns
• Three solo scenarios
• Two quests for each hero and monster pack

Plus the quest vault.

Descent is still going quite strong. I've got nearly all of it so far and I doubt I'll ever play it all.

So the expansions are still available? Even though they're retail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, even Lair of the Wyrm, the first expansion, is still in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to ask everyone active on this thread/forum - if you'd chose between Descent and Runewars, which would you choose (first) and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
descent,,,haven't got runewars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games are not similar. Key questions you need to answer to make that decision are:

1) How many people do you expect will play the game? Runewars cannot really be played solo, and only supports up to 4. Descent can be played solo with variants or expansions and supports up to 5.

2) Are you looking for an adventure game, or a war game? Descent is 4 heroes on quests- Runewars is 4 armies facing off.

3) Is your group interested in games that take several sessions? A descent quest can take 2-4 hours (varies with group) and a campaign has 9 quests (18-36 hours overall). A runewars game takes 2-5 hours for the whole thing.

I own both because they are both great games- but runewars doesn't scratch my descent itch, and descent doesn't scratch my rumewars itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zaltyre wrote:
Yes, even Lair of the Wyrm, the first expansion, is still in print.

Not only that but the newest co-op expansion Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Dark Elements (released in 2015) required the use of LotW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
I doubt a 3rd edition will show up anytime soon. My guess is they do new editions when:

1) Market is tapped out. Last set of expansions didn't sell well compared to the earlier sets.
2) After release, it was decided the game was deeply flawed and needed to be fixed.

Descent has issues, but for the most part it works and the base has done well to adapt it where it doesn't. FF definitely missed the market demand for an automated overlord. I think they also screwed up in removing the exploring mechanic (I think they should do a mix...some are exploratory dungeon crawls and others are known maps with a strategy race going on). Granted, that latter issue won't be tested until some of the new dungeon crawlers hit the market place to meet the nixed Hero Quest 25th Ed. niche (See the recent Dungeon Saga and the upcoming games Swords and Sorcery and Memento Mori). If they lose their base to such games or feel that they are losing new players to those games and/or to their own IA, then it might be worth a 3rd edition reboot of Descent that adds things the market wants...or they can just do an expansion like how the co-op play expansions try to deal with the automated overlord demand.

That all said, I don't see such a 3rd edition coming along until 2019 at the earliest. It really all depends on the activity of the player community and market demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lorphanpaibul
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look like they are doing companion app and fixing both the issue with Overlord and exploration aspect of Descent 2nd edition.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/3/15/road-to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.