Luca Kling
msg tools
designer

“From now on you can’t know if this cat is dead or alive and therefore it is IMMORTAL - *cough* I mean: mixed or smeared out in equal parts!,” announced Schroedinger while closing the lid above the cat in the box. You were unsure about the implications of that seemingly crazy announcement and turning to your fellow assistant colleagues you whispered “I bet we can tell when it’s dead”. “Would you care to put a wager on it?”, was the swift reply. Already making plans to sneak into the laboratory at night to take a peek you happily agreed.

Dead cat is a push your luck and bluffing game. You are betting on how long ago Schroedinger's cat died. Taking peeks into the box one after the other you have to out bluff your opponent and call their bluff at the right time.

Game Contents

9 Box Cards
4 Dice
8 Cubes

Players: 1-4
Playing Time: 5-10 minutes

Categories (not final)
Best 2-player Game
Best 3 or more player Game
Best Thematic Game (Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, Dungeon Crawl, etc)
Best Written Rules
Best Artwork
Best New Designer
Most Innovative Mechanic Category
Best Greyscale Printed Game Category

Full Rules available at https://goo.gl/8AIxRU

Cards available at https://goo.gl/0jP7gp

We hope you enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dead Cat (entry for the 2016 9 Card Nanogame Contest) - components ready
Sorry, "Dead Cat" got my attention...laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dead Cat (entry for the 2016 9 Card Nanogame Contest) - components ready
Too funny! I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Kling
msg tools
designer

What do you think about the new art for the back of the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luca Kling wrote:

Looks good but I would find a cleaner looking hazard sign. Maybe tighten up the details a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Kling
msg tools
designer
kingspud wrote:
Luca Kling wrote:

Looks good but I would find a cleaner looking hazard sign. Maybe tighten up the details a bit.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I forwarded it to our artist and will post the updated version as soon as we have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digby McWiggle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Luca Kling wrote:

I think it's awesome!

However it does seem to be in a different style from the cat card art. The box lid is kind of American cartoony whereas the cats are more Euro noir (if that makes any sense). I love both styles but don't know that they work that well together... Coloring the cats would help, but they still have an angularity that doesn't fit the roundness of the box lid.

I am not an artist so am struggling to find the right words here.

That said, I love the theme (I'm a scientist) and think the cat style fits it really well. You do realise I suppose that Schrodinger never actually did this, or meant it to be taken literally...? That's part of what makes your game idea so cool!

Look forward to the updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luca Kling wrote:

So, to be honest this is more of what I think of when I think Schrodinger Cat in a box!

I kind of understand your process on the logo but it does fall outside the concept of Schrodinger box. Plus, I don't really get why you have a Nuclear symbol on the box and the tiny cat image is way too small.

Just some thoughts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Kling
msg tools
designer
kingspud wrote:

So, to be honest this is more of what I think of when I think Schrodinger Cat in a box!

I kind of understand your process on the logo but it does fall outside the concept of Schrodinger box. Plus, I don't really get why you have a Nuclear symbol on the box and the tiny cat image is way too small.

Just some thoughts...

Hey Joseph and John,

The nuclear symbol is there because the original thought experiment was using a nuclear element to trigger the poison that could kill the cat. We are discussing to remove or replace it with something more fitting.

I totally agree with you and John that the current door needs to be more fitting to the theme.

Our original thought was to go with the euro noir style (thanks for the name John) the cats are drawn in as the idea of a game about a dead cat is already kind of dark. Following the theme we wanted to make the back of the card in the same style.

The goal is t o create the feel of opening the box when turning around a card so it should be depict the box cover. But we are happy for any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since its a box and not a crate why not go with the image of the top view of a box with the four flaps? Like a cardboard packaging box!

I guess I never pictured it as a crate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I haven't gotten to play, by I have read through the rules. I think the cat art looks awesome, and I agree with Joseph that the flaps of a box would look simple and cool (perhaps with CAUTION scrawled across?). The game itself sounds streamlined and fun.

A rules question: Are you allowed to bid the same number as someone else?

A thought: What if players rolled their dice to determine their initial bid? Or what if they couldn't place a bid at all until their first check (rather than starting with a default bid of 1)?

Syntax observation: "After you have embraced the art on the card..." I think you mean examined.

Overall, it looks really nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Kling
msg tools
designer
Hey,

We were on holiday for the last few weeks but are finally back.

To your questions I m p:
Yes, you can choose to bet the same number as another player. This can be used as a defensive move.

On your thought:
The reason that we choose to always start with a one on the betting dice is that this makes it more likely that everyone is at least taking one card. It is unlikely that the first few cards will be a dead cat so to announce that the cat is dead is a high risk while if one player starts with a higher number he can immediately declare the cat dead and win the game if it isn't which is likely.

On the creative site we followed all the suggestions in this thread and are proud to present you the back cover of the Dead Cat deck:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I love the new logo!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Kling
msg tools
designer
Dead cat is now officially contest ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Kling
msg tools
designer
We build a box box for Dead Cat. What du you think? We wwill make it available for download in the next few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Luca,

You have an interesting game here. The game definitely is full of theme and does a good job of giving you that feeling that you are playing a game of poker with you die bet, pushing others to see if they will call your bluff!

I will say I'm not a huge fan of poker or bluffing games only because I don't see that strategy or tactics in these type games as I do others. There is so much to interrupt when you have to deal with a situation that someone is either telling the truth or bluffing.

The art was nice but I didn't feel there was that much to the game art wise. It's just an image of a cat and a black and white one to boot. Maybe some color and some different positions would be nice but the cats looked very similar is stance. With the DEAD CAT I would rather see a cat lying on its back flat holding a lily over its chest with the red plus signs over its eyes. This would really stand out more so than the cat you show on the cards. Also, you really need to add cut lines to the PDF because I had a hard time getting all the cards cut to the same size! If you can't cut the cards exactly your bluffing game is useless once you know which cards are which!

Regarding game play, as I said I'm not the biggest fan of bluffing games but this was entertaining to a degree. I'll give you this, its easy to learn and easy to play! There are only two options during play and that's it: draw or bet and announce! I kept thinking what is keeping one player from always matching the others players but and always tying? OR, if you do draw the DEAD CAT and place your bet how long will other players take to realize you are going for the win or just bluffing them? this is all there is and people tend to eventually play exactly how they are in life: sneaky or honest!

It was fun to a degree and then it just became samey after awhile and just felt like it needed something else to spice it up.

The mechanics are solid for the game that it is but the issues I felt was the eventual bluff pattern of people playing over and over, game after game. This is a game you have to play with different people!

I did create some SOLO rules that you can try out and this would at least add your game to another category.

I think you did a nice job with this game and players who love bluffing games will certainly like this one.

Good job!

Below are my rules for Solitaire play, try them out and see if they work for you!

Dead Cat - Solo rules

OBJECT
To be the one that finds the DEAD CAT and forces the HOUSE to move its cube off of the DEAD CAT and onto a LIVE CAT and keep it there till the end of the game. If neither is on the DEAD CAT then you want to be the closest to the DEAD CAT by the end of the game.

COMPONENTS
• You need the 9 dead cat card
• You need 8 cubes "[4] yellow, [2] red, [2] green
• You need 4 d6 [1] red, [1] green, [2] white

SETUP
1. Shuffle all the dead cat cards into a deck
2. Deal out the cards face down in a row of nine cards
3. Place YOUR red die at the left end of the row next to the last card with the 1 showing
4. Place the HOUSE green die at the opposite end of the row next to the card with the 1 showing
5. Place the HOUSE's green cube on a card by rolling the [2] white dice and counting up the number from left to right on the row and again from left to right if necessary till the number rolled is met then place the green cube on the card. It can be placed on the same card as the red cube!

Example: if the house rolled a 10 then you start your count from the far left card and count up to the 9th card and then go back to the first card on the left and continue counting to 10!

6. Place your first red cube on the card that you think IS the DEAD CAT card!
7. Place the second Houses green cube above a card by rolling [2] white dice and counting up the number from left to right on the row and again from left to right if necessary till the number rolled is met. Once you reach the number rolled place the house green cube above that card. If cube stops on a card that already has a cube on it then roll a d6 and 1-3 = move cube one card to the left, 4-6 = move cube one card to the right. Continue in this direction one card if the second card also has a cube on it!
8. Now place your red cube below a card in the row that you plan on turning over this turn. You can't place your cube below a card that has a cube on it!
9. Place the [4] yellow cubes off to the side of the table but in easy reach. "these will be explained later"
10. The game is now ready to play!

GAMEPLAY

In this game you want to be on the DEAD CAT card when the game ends and to do this you must first try to figure out where the DEAD CAT is and then if necessary force the house's cube off this card and onto a LIVE CAT card till the end of the game.

To make this happen you can use different actions to either move your cube, force the house cube to another card or push the house cube left or right to another card.

You start the game by turning over the card you placed your red cube under!

• If the card is a LIVE CAT then place it face up to the left side of the row and place your red die on top of it with the 1 showing.
• If the card is the DEAD CAT you lose! Whenever YOU turn over the DEAD CAT you lose the game!

Slide over all the remaining cards that are to the right or left of the gap, whichever side doesn't have the green cube on it and close up the gap of the card that was just removed. Take your red cube from below the card and place it to the left of the last card on the left side of the row. Don't move the green cube, once all the cards have been slid into place the green cube will be above a new card!

Now, turn over the card that is below the green house cube.

• If the card is a LIVE CAT then place it face up to the right side of the row and place the green die on top of it with the 1 showing.
• If the card is the DEAD CAT the game ends! Whenever the HOUSE turns over the DEAD CAT the games ends and you see who is closest to the DEAD CAT. The closest player gets [1] Yellow cube. If your red cube ended up being on the DEAD CAT card you win [2] cubes! Place the yellow cube(s) to the left of row. If the house won the cube place it to the right of the row. You need three yellow cubes to win the entire game! If you both end the game with two yellow cubes the entire game is a tie!

Again, slide over all the remaining cards that are to the right or left of the gap, whichever is smaller, and close up the gap of the card that was just removed. Take the green cube and place it to the right of the last card on the right side of the row.

TURN # 2
The house needs to place the green cube again above a card by rolling the [2] white dice and count up the number from left to right on the row and again from left to right if necessary till the number rolled is met. Once you reach the number rolled place the house green cube above it. If cube stops on a card that already has a cube on it then roll a d6 and 1-3 = move cube one card to the left, 4-6 = move cube one card to the right. Continue in this direction one card if the second card also has a cube on it!

Now you place your second red cube underneath a new card that you plan on turning over. It can't be placed under a card that already has a cube on it!

On turn #2 you have some new actions you can perform. You can perform only one of these actions.

Action #1
If you found LIVE CAT cards on a previous turns and have at least two cards sitting on your stash with a die on it, you can use one of those cards to take a special action. With this special action you can force the house cube off the card it is currently on and replace it with the LIVE CAT card from your stash.
To do this action pick up the green house cube that is on the card you want to swap and place it below the card. Now slide this card and every card to the right of it one space to the right! Then place the LIVE CAT card face down in the gap that was just opened. Place the green cube back on top of this new card. Now you know the green cube is on a LIVE CAT!

Action #2
You can move your red cube one space to the left or right.

Action #3
If you are next to the HOUSE's green cube you can force it over to another card. By moving onto the card with the green cube you can push the green cube to the right or left depending on which direction you were heading. If you were moving to the right then the green cube will move one card to the right. If you were moving to the left then you will move the green cube to the left once card.

TURN #3
After you've taken your one action, you can start your next turn by turning over the card you placed your red cube below!

• If the card is a LIVE CAT then place it face up to the left side of the row and place your red die on top of it with the one showing.
• If the card is the DEAD CAT you lose! Whenever YOU turn over the DEAD CAT you lose the game!

Slide over all the remaining cards that are to the right or left of the gap, whichever is smaller, and close up the gap of the card that was just removed. Take your red cube and place it to the left of the last card on the left side of the row.

Now, turn over the house card that is below the green cube.

• If the card is a LIVE CAT then place it face up to the right side of the row and place the green die on top of it with the one showing.
• If the card is the DEAD CAT the game ends! Whenever the HOUSE turns over the DEAD CAT the games ends and you see who is closest to the DEAD CAT. The closest player gets [1] Yellow cube. If you won the cube place it to the left of the row. If the house won the cube place it to the right of the row.

Again, slide over all the remaining cards that are to the right or left of the gap, whichever is smaller, and close up the gap of the card that was just removed. Take your green cube and place it to the right of the last card on the right side of the row.

Start again at TURN #2 and continue the game until either you can announce that your cube is on the DEAD CAT card which means you win! If you announce that you are on the DEAD CAT card and in fact are not on the card you lose!

If the HOUSES green cube is on the DEAD CAT then you lose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Luca
I just had another look at Dead Cat. You have improved the art (now even more awesome) and rules since last time I played.
I really like the simplicity of the rules and how it leads to some difficult decisions - when you happen to know where the cat is do you bet there straight away, or wait a round? However I suspect it almost too simple.

I think the strategy will change a bit with different player counts, but it seems to me if you see the cat then just bet on the right answer and wait for your next turn to announce. It doesn't matter if someone else announces first because you will still be right. So if you do see the cat I don't see any reason to bluff. And if you don't see the cat then you should just bet high and announce - if someone else has seen the cat then you have to assume you can't beat them, but if the cat hasn't yet come up then by betting high you have a chance of winning. I may be missing something here but it seems to me once you know the best strategy then it all comes down to the luck of how often you see the cat.
Of course if you do see the cat early you might carry on for a bit to prevent others from matching your bet. You could incentivise this by awarding one point for being closest and then one point for the difference between your bet and the next closest.
I love the theme and back story, and as I said before the art is lovely, though I'd prefer the dead cat to be lying down with its legs in the air - something about the broken neck is just a bit creepy...
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls