Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina
Canada
Fort Saskatchewan
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I are new to the board game hobby but we love it!

We do most of our gaming as just the 2 of us, which is a fantastic way to spend time together but we both work shift work. It can be hard to get regular gaming in, and that just won't do laugh

We've been thinking about finding a local gaming group.

But I thought it would be fun to ask the community, do you have a regular group? Do you have more than one regular group? How did you find your group? What's your favorite thing about your group (other than getting to play games often ) What things were most important to you when finding your group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graydon Armstrong
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used meetup.com to find a local gaming group and I am having a blast playing with new people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masaya Ko
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My group consist between 5-9 guys, mainly folks from my local Christian church. I am the organizer, main goals are to outreach & get to know others with the same board game hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bell
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I run an every Tuesday group that has anywhere from 6 to 12 participants every week. That group is more just for fun and having a good time playing games together. Then 3 members of that group make up my core game group. We get together whenever we can and play longer and harder games than the Tuesday group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to my first meetup group 16 months ago and now I regularly go to 3 different gaming groups and host a Friday night meetup at a local restaurant where we get anywhere from 25 - 45 gamers.

You will love getting to meet new people through gaming.
Such a fun way of spending time in a social setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Someone from a different kind of meet-up introduced me to board games. He hosted a few games and organized another group at a local store. That became my default group.

A real benefit that you enjoy this hobby as a couple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Witgeers
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group consists of my friends, all of wich I got to know at different points in my life: One from early childhood, one from high school, one from my chessclub, one from college and one from my workenviroment. We always play at my house, because that's kinda tradition(I used to be the only link between some players, but luckily everyone knows each other quite well know). It's a fun little mix of different personalities and gaming styles, but I'm always on the lookout to attract new players. I live in a small town, and altough there is a FLGS, there's no room there to game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hampus Ram
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two groups of which one probably would not define themselves as a board game group...

One I play with every thursday and is a (private) group I (or rather my wife) found through the organizer's son going in the same class in school as my son. That is, it was found by pure luck and by talking about board games in public. I like that it is a small group, you get to know everyone and get a feel for what games we enjoy plaing. And since most of us have severe acquisition disorder we always have new games to play if we want to.

My wife and I also organize a bi-weekly gaming night with our friends, but I don't think most of them define it as a board game group. This, of course wasn't hard to find This "group" I like since they are our closest friends and we really like to hang out and do stuff together anyways and combining it with board games... well, jackpot!

I've also attended a "public" board game group in town that organizes games several days a week. I do not know how I found them, but a simple google search for "boardgames" and the city could be a way to go. Depending on your location there are probably some way that organizations like that promote themselves, be it meetup or some other service. This is of course a great way to get to play games with people that love plaing games if your friends do not, or if you have no where to host such an event.

One thing I can say is that when I have begun playing games with different people and defining myself as a boardgamer and talk about games I find people everywhere playing boardgames. For instance, one of the women in my wife's choir is now a close friend of ours and one of the most hardcore gamers I know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two non-family groups. My Gents' Club has been playing together for 3 years. We are 4-10 professors at the same university. My favourite thing about the group is that we accomodate each others' differences in taste, and that we tolerate our glacial pace.

My other group is university administrative staff who have chosen boardgames as an arena in which to practice their English (as part of their professional development). As a result, this group pays me to play. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ringo Stalin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fortunate enough to have a large pool of people in my game group, but we don't have a regular allocated day/date on which we play - it's more along the lines of whoever's available when someone (usually me) puts the call out. The group is an even mix of male, female, couples, singles, work colleagues & long-time friends.

Finding people to join game nights has been extremely easy, which I realise is quite a rarity in some circles, and we're lucky enough to all live within reach of Draughts boardgame cafe in London, so that helps to act as a neutral ground in the case of n00bs who might be a bit unsure, as well as having a massive library of games to choose from, so we're bound to find something everyone will enjoy. Delicious booze helps too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a subset of my RPG and LARP groups. Invite only, because we're snotty elitists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and I play games with another couple mostly. We also have a few very occasional could friends (maybe 3x a year for each).

Other than that, the wife and I game most nights. Or 4-5 nights a week anyway. Lots of head to head games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sletten
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
The struggle was real
mbmbmbmbmb
There's 3 different board game groups, that I've found, on Meetup in Edmonton. Good way to meet new gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venus3869 wrote:
My husband and I are new to the board game hobby but we love it!

We do most of our gaming as just the 2 of us, which is a fantastic way to spend time together but we both work shift work. It can be hard to get regular gaming in, and that just won't do laugh

We've been thinking about finding a local gaming group.

But I thought it would be fun to ask the community, do you have a regular group? Do you have more than one regular group? How did you find your group? What's your favorite thing about your group (other than getting to play games often ) What things were most important to you when finding your group?

I've moved several times in recent years. At first, I'd have a large # and variety of groups. On 3 separate weeks, I was able to play board games with others every day of the week! Next place, I'd have to drive 30 minutes to 1+ hour, 1-way for gaming, and even pay for parking at times, but at least the groups were nice.

Now, I'm down to once every 2 weeks, for only 3 to 4 hours at a time. Unfortunately, there aren't any Meetup groups, so my only other local option is to start my own Meetup group The rest of my boardgaming needs to be rounded out by conventions, but those are all out of town, having to drive 5 to 7 for a round trip, so I don't do those often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As of right now I have a Wednesday night group (4 players), we meet to play Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set, we play one delve per session then maybe we'll a short board game, I'm bringing Nations: The Dice Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the weekday, my game group is my wife and two teenage kids. On Saturdays, it's a gaming group I found on Meetup. We meet a Chinese restaurant that charges us dinner price for gaming from 11am to 10pm. I just started with this group but everyone's been fantastic, and I've gotten to play several games I don't own but have been dying to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Venus3869 wrote:

I have two regular groups. A group of 8 friends I call Cardboard Premier League and my Risk Legacy group.

I did not find either group, I made them. I figured my best chance of finding a gaming group I liked, with people I liked, administered in a way I liked, was to make my own group from scratch. It has worked out fabulously so far.

The most important thing for my group was commitment to the hobby. I didn't invite people who were friends, with no interest in gaming. If I thought someone would show up, half hardheartedly participate in the game, then turn on the TV; they were not invited. It sounds a little harsh, but when I frame the group as a hobbyist group, not just a gathering of friends, people seem OK with that reasoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I live in a gaming rich environment. There are a number of local gaming stores and most of them have associated gaming groups. Plus there's a sizable meetup.com group. So in my area, at least, it's just a matter of deciding how many groups you want to join.

My main criterion in a gaming group is I'm looking to enjoy myself. I don't want to have to deal with unpleasant people. Fortunately, that hasn't been an issue; I like the people I game with.

A secondary concern is the kind of games we're playing. One group I play with regularly has a number of more casual gamers and as a result we tend to play lighter games. I enjoy light games but I'd also like to play some heavier ones as well. Again, I'm lucky because I have a choice of groups and other groups I'm in have no problem with heavier games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a group of families, found through a loose social connection (the main hostess was my sister-in-law's college roommate), that has a board game event once a month at one family's house, and other events on an ad hoc basis (probably less than one a month on average).

I also have a group at work that plays once a week at lunchtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
During the weekday, my game group is my wife and two teenage kids. On Saturdays, it's a gaming group I found on Meetup. We meet a Chinese restaurant that charges us dinner price for gaming from 11am to 10pm. I just started with this group but everyone's been fantastic, and I've gotten to play several games I don't own but have been dying to play.

do you get the meal or just a fee for using their tables, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acedaryl1 wrote:
Venus3869 wrote:

I have two regular groups. A group of 8 friends I call Cardboard Premier League and my Risk Legacy group.

I did not find either group, I made them. I figured my best chance of finding a gaming group I liked, with people I liked, administered in a way I liked, was to make my own group from scratch. It has worked out fabulously so far.

The most important thing for my group was commitment to the hobby. I didn't invite people who were friends, with no interest in gaming. If I thought someone would show up, half hardheartedly participate in the game, then turn on the TV; they were not invited. It sounds a little harsh, but when I frame the group as a hobbyist group, not just a gathering of friends, people seem OK with that reasoning.

I wish I lived back in Ohio so I could join your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
texascpa wrote:

do you get the meal or just a fee for using their tables, etc?

All you can eat all day (Chinese Buffet) plus a waitress comes frequently asking to refill the glasses. They even put us back in a banquet room (when available).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several people have already mentioned meetup.com, and it's the only service of its sort that I'm familiar with. That gives you a starting point. Here's the rest of my advice for forming a group:

1) Go to events where you can play with new people - primarily meetups; these board game nights Barnes & Noble are hosting in March are another opportunity.

2) This is the most important step - get the email addresses of people you enjoy playing with. "Hey, my husband/friends/whatever and I get together with a few people for board games every now and then. If you give me your email address, I'll send you the invitation."

To date, no one has ever said no. A lot of people are looking for others to play with, and if they seem like your kind of person, you're probably their kind of person as well. Keep doing this until you are getting your ideal number of people showing up. At some point, you'll start growing organically because some of these people will want to bring friends.

3) Start sending out invitations, and make sure you schedule a week or more in advance - I'd suggest two weeks.

4) Be prepared for any number of people. You probably have games that scale to as few as 3, but be prepared for 10. Party games like Codenames and Social Deduction games like Werewolf/Resistance/etc. scale well (Two Rooms and a Boom goes up to 30!).

5) Finally, in order to make sure you get to play certain games, consider hosting two different kinds of game nights: Nights where everyone is invited and you don't necessarily have an agenda, and nights where you hand-pick the people in order to play a certain game or type of game.

I've just started doing this, as my "the more the merrier" nights seemed to lead to just playing the big party/social games - which are great, but certainly not all I want to play. I've been to game nights where people split into groups and play 4-5 player games separately, but as the host, I don't want to leave it to chance that everyone is going to end up in a group/game that they're happy with.

In planning smaller nights where I have an agenda, I'm trying to learn people's schedules and preferences. I have a couple single friends who are pretty into board gaming, so they seemed ideal for getting a campaign of Pandemic Legacy going. I think that Magic players will enjoy the drafting, strategy, and direct conflict of Blood Rage, so I'm planning on trying to get some of them over for that. We had a couple with a new baby over to a group night recently, and I'd like to see if they're just happy doing those or would like to come play some four player game suited to their tastes sometime.

If anyone has any tips/ideas that have worked well for them and might work well for me, by all means let me hear them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Davies
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would really like to find a group! Usually my wife and I play together, sometimes our kids join in, and on weekends we can usually get a few family members involved. Unfortunately, we don't have any friends interested in the hobby. We would love to find a group to game with but our schedules lately have not really allowed us to do much in the way of seeking one out.

Hopefully soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geek And Geekability
msg tools
mb
We mainly game with our closest group of friends (there's usually anywhere between 4 and 8 of us together to play at least once a week). We were already spending a lot of time with these friends when my husband and I got seriously into gaming. We introduced them to Ticket to Ride one night, then Catan, then Lords of Waterdeep, and on and on until they all became nearly as obsessed as us.

We then started a monthly gaming group that originated within our church but has now grown so that about 60% of the group is from that same church. They were getting these things called "affinity groups" together to connect people within the church with similar interests. I offered to help organize the board game group and we connected everyone through a facebook group. Everyone in the group can invite anyone they wish to game nights and can add them to the Facebook group. I'd say we average about 20 people at our monthly game nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.