Subject: Starting with an entirely blank map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Park
United Kingdom
Near Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I have just aquired this expansion. Haven't had a chance to play yet, but I've read through the rules, and set up the board just for a look.

It immediatly occured that you could play this game starting with NO tiles on the board. Each player would start at a different corner, and have 2 ships that they could move along 1 hex edge per turn, revealing the hexagon ahead as they went. Each ship would be able to be converted to a settlement after it had moved, on the intersection at either end of the hex edge the ship was on.

I played this through a couple of times and it tended to result in an unbalanced setup.

I balanced the problem with regards to the number chips by spliting the best chips among the players before starting (four sets are (4 5 6), (8 9 10), (4 6 9) and (5 8 10)) and the first 3 land tiles they drew got these chips rather than one from the random stack.

However, I don't know how to balance the problem of one player drawing too much ocean. I could split the land tiles among the players, but that defeats the object of exploration somewhat. I thought of rewarding players who draw lots of sea with a gold field, but I'm not sure how well this would work.

Has anyone tried this sort of scenario before and got it to work properly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dickerson
United States
Pendleton
Indiana
flag msg tools
Re:Starting with an entirely blank map
light (#21185),
I can't really help, but I think this sounds like an interesting idea. It would probably add too much luck to the game to be a consistent way to play, but I think it would be fun to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.