Wings of Glory: WW2 Rules and Accessories Pack» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Single Mat Dogfight with Fast Planes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been some debate whether one 68 x 98 cm map provides enough space for late World War II fighters to maneuver. I decided to test this out and chose two high powered killers from the sky. For the AI I assigned a German Focke-Wulf FW-190 while I picked my favorite North American Aviation P-51D Mustang. I opted not to go for Japanese or British fighters because they have slightly better horizontal turns and I did not want to test a tight space with the plane equivalent of sports cars, I needed muscle cars!

I used the Sea of Glory version of the map because it provides a more uniform graphic background with grid lines to track movement. For two maps I would put two tables together and turn the maps to go across them. That is not a possibility right now as my daughter's girl scout troop leader has my second table for cookie sales (and there is no higher priority than girl scout cookies).

It was scary how fast these planes whizzed by each other on the first pass without even getting off a shot. Now would be the test of cornering fast planes on a narrow map.

I slowed the Mustang and banked right. The AI attempted to bank right but did not reduce speed enough and would have gone off the board on turn seven had a disallowed a straight and rerolled to complete the turn on the edge of the table. Had the play surface been larger the fast looping turn of the Wulf would have put it in better position than getting clipped on the tale:

At this point the test was really over. The German plane would have been eliminated by moving off the board and saving it from that fate just set up an annihilating pass a few turns later.

I turned the planes (but did not move the bases) in their final positions and put the damage cards out to display the carnage these planes cause at close range. The Mustang took 16 damage and the Wulf 20 on the final pass. The planes start with 19 and 18 hit points respectively. The Wings of Glory propeller is actually the measuring device to determine damage.

Single plane flying against the AI is not as good as going with multiples because it is too easy to manipulate the opponent into position. More planes means increased unpredictability from the AI, so a more challenging and interesting dogfight.

Since I still will not have my table back for a bit my next flight will involve an early war bomber Mission. I think we need a bigger plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't mention using the Immelmann, which I think would solve your problem.

Admittedly, that sets up a series of head-on passes and is not very interesting.

But that has been a problem going back to SPAD vs Albatros.

1 on 1 is not the best way to enjoy this game.

For 1 on 1 players, I would still have each move 2 planes.

And for solo, yes, I'd definitely go with bombers (or 2 seaters) to give you an AI with fewer choices. Ground attack missions can work for this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.