Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question. In the picture, is the german unit proximate to hex 1018?

The definition of proximate tells me to take into account movement restrictions imposed by roadblocks (10.3).

But the effect of roadblocks (15.2) doesn't seem to affect movement when the unit is already adjacent to the RB marker - the unit must stop movement after entering a hex adjacent to the RB and connected with a road.

What is more: after activating the german unit, the RB marker will be removed. Still there is a chance that it will be replaced with a reserve unit.

So not sure how to take all this into account and decide if hex 1018 is proximate to the german unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Garbett
United Kingdom
Walsall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My answer (and I'm ready to be shot down in flames) is yes. The unit can use all of it's movement points to cross the unbridged hexside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundin
Sweden
Lund
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garbinho wrote:
My answer (and I'm ready to be shot down in flames) is yes. The unit can use all of it's movement points to cross the unbridged hexside.

My interpretation as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Although 10.3 doesn't actually say so, I think it makes sense to ignore adjacent roadblocks when considering proximity for a German unit. It is uncertain whether or not the roadblock will be replaced by a unit when the German unit activates and I think assume no is the best approach. Otherwise allied deployments will regard areas "held" by roadblocks as more secure than they actually are.

When the roadblock is not adjacent, then the case is clearer and it certainly restricts German movement.

A trickier case is where German A is adjacent to a roadblock which would halt the movement of German B which is not adjacent. I've no idea what the answer is in that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank cavallaro
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
My question from Consimworld... answered by JB

if a german unit is adjacent to a roadblock with a road connection to roadblock hex, can this unit be used to evaluate proximate (or to evaluate danger of surround) to another hex

Yes. However the unit cannot trace proximity through the roadblock hex and the proximity path would be blocked if traced through another hex that is both adjacent to and with a road connection to the roadblock hex.

JB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someday I'll have to learn how to search for info in CSW (assuming that's even possible).

So in my picture, my panzer is proximate to 1018 and 1118 (Hotton). But it's not proximate to 1218 (SW of Hotton).

Thanks a lot for all the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
frank cavallaro wrote:
My question from Consimworld... answered by JB

if a german unit is adjacent to a roadblock with a road connection to roadblock hex, can this unit be used to evaluate proximate (or to evaluate danger of surround) to another hex

Yes. However the unit cannot trace proximity through the roadblock hex and the proximity path would be blocked if traced through another hex that is both adjacent to and with a road connection to the roadblock hex.

JB

Hm, that's rather easy on the player. Potentially the roadblock goes poof! and a huge hole appears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Search on CSW is easy ... hit the "Search" button, enter the text you want the engine to use for the search, click the button that indicates whether you're searching on the current forum or all of Consimworld, and hit enter.

Now, if what you're looking for is more than a couple of years old, or you're not sure how far back you need to look, try the "Extended Search" option on the Search page. You can enter a range of dates all they way back to the creation of the forum, and have results returned in ascending or descending order.

Some years ago people complained about the Search engine on CSW. Once John Kranz had the Extended Search option added, I've had few times where I haven't been able to find an old post that I vaguely recalled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendel Lius
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hm, that's rather easy on the player. Potentially the roadblock goes poof! and a huge hole appears.

9.42 : "German proximity may be traced into but not through a hex occupied by a roadblock."

The roadblock itself is considered proximate, so its position is eligible to reserve placement. Not so easy for the player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank cavallaro
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
>The roadblock itself is considered proximate so its position is eligible to reserve placement

Yes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frank cavallaro wrote:
My question from Consimworld... answered by JB [...]

JB

So in this case, the remaining unit from the 101 should be placed in Bastogne right? the proximity path is not traced through an hex with a road connection to a roadblock hex (B is adjacent, but not connected with road, to two roadblock hexes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Germans are indeed proximate to Bastogne, but not to the hexes where the 2nd and 3rd 101 div units were deployed. So I reckon 2nd unit goes to Bastogne, then using method B, the 3rd and 4th join it.

Where did the vassal mod come from? Is it publically available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ups you are right about the 2nd and 3rd units, I messed up the deployment. Thanks nevertheless for the Bastogne proximity answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Melchiori
Italy
Vigarano Pieve
FE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Kassel wrote:
The Germans are indeed proximate to Bastogne, but not to the hexes where the 2nd and 3rd 101 div units were deployed. So I reckon 2nd unit goes to Bastogne, then using method B, the 3rd and 4th join it.

Where did the vassal mod come from? Is it publically available?

If army boundary limit are still in effect also 501.101.VIII is a bad placement because that hex can't be reached from 5th army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my. You're absolutely right, good catch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.