Hide
10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Counting spaces away - Terrain setup question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michał Jung
msg tools
I understand when it says "6 spaces away" when it's about monster and survivor it means "5 empty spaces counted cardinally between them". Someone said here (on BGG Forum) "put one figure base on another - they're 0 spaces away".

But how do u count terrains thats 2x2 spaces big (Two of Tall Grass Terrain for example)? Theres no clarification to that in rulebook I think. Does the rule "adjacent = 1 space away" apply? What if they're adjacent but with just 1 space (half of terrain is adjacent with others one half like "D to E" on picture)?

Check the example (look at the picture http://imgur.com/6LGKSG7 ):
A to B -> 1 or 2 spaces away? (2 would be if we would use the rule "put things on top of each other - theyre 0 spaces away")
B to C -> 2 spaces away? or maybe 3?
C to D -> this one is tough, is it 2 spaces away? (1 empty space between them, 1 space to make them adjecent) or are they 4 spaces away (according to "put things on top of each other = 0 spaces away" rule)
D to E -> 1 or 3 spaces away?
E to F -> 1 space away (1 space to be adjacent) or 4 spaces away (4 spaces to be on top of each other)

Also, additional question. Is it ok to put terrain (using it's card setup) and then put survivor on it (to gain +2 evasion from Tall Grass at the start of showdown for example). Rulebook doesn't say anything about it so i guess it's legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van Loon
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mb
The way my group handles this:

the space in between is the number of 'moves' you can do with a piece of terrain before it overlaps at least 1 square with another terrain. The way here is that you take the shortest possible route of course.

In another phrase, 2 spaces away would mean 1 space in between.

So in your examples:
A to B -> 0 spaces in between, so 1 space away
B to C -> 1 space in between. You can move terrain B1 square towards C before overlapping, so 2 spaces away
C to D -> 2 spaces away
D to E -> 1 space away
E to F -> 2 spaces away
etc etc.

Not saying this is 'the' way to handle it, but it works for us. I think eventually it's not game breaking if an object is 1 space closer or further away anyways.

Quote:
Also, additional question. Is it ok to put terrain (using it's card setup) and then put survivor on it (to gain +2 evasion from Tall Grass at the start of showdown for example). Rulebook doesn't say anything about it so i guess it's legal?

Yes it is legal as far as I know. So if you do the math you can have a nice starting setup on the White Lion where all 4 survivors stand nicely in the grass for the bonus, giving you a nice chance to mitigate the first strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Jung
msg tools
The way you do it seems reasonable I guess I'll play it this way since it makes most sense.

Also, offtopic question:

Yesterday I got WL01 into a loop (similar to +inifity understanding):
1. "Persistent Injury - No Jaw" in play
2. Last card in AI deck: Chomp

So basically i could farm infinite insanity (I dont even know if that's good or bad since it's my first campaign - so I got everyone on 2 insanity so they wont get insane). Question is, is there any errata, rules clarification or any feedback from Poots if looping and gaining benefits from it is legal?

I read in official FAQ that some monsters can loop like that in nasty way for survivors... so i guess its OK to loop it as well for your own benefit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pruden
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. You can Farm Insanity. Some monsters in the expansion through can instantly kill any character with a high level of insanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Jung
msg tools
Luckily for my survivors (not for me thou ) i dont have expansions yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Krauss
msg tools
I see you have also lived the story of the barfing lion xD

Yes, Poots stated that this is legal. Its in the FAQ with the Lost Hand and Understanding example

And lastly, this can affect the stock game too, no need for expansions to murder your insane survivors :-)

Spoiler ahead:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
During the Hunt the Overwhelming Darkness may take all Insanity away, also the Antelope Aftermath will instantly kill your +20 Insanity ppl. There are other Things that can happen, but i dont want to spoil too much, but some infinity insane guys can be very useful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the areas where I've considered house ruling things: easy understanding and infinite attack loops are both kinda' dumb and the game breaks down at small AI decks, so I'm not sure, but thinking that I want to put in something to stop it- figure out a way to draw basic actions between loops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
unfever wrote:
I understand when it says "6 spaces away" when it's about monster and survivor it means "5 empty spaces counted cardinally between them". Someone said here (on BGG Forum) "put one figure base on another - they're 0 spaces away".

But how do u count terrains thats 2x2 spaces big (Two of Tall Grass Terrain for example)? Theres no clarification to that in rulebook I think. Does the rule "adjacent = 1 space away" apply? What if they're adjacent but with just 1 space (half of terrain is adjacent with others one half like "D to E" on picture)?

Check the example (look at the picture http://imgur.com/6LGKSG7 ):
A to B -> 1 or 2 spaces away? (2 would be if we would use the rule "put things on top of each other - theyre 0 spaces away")
B to C -> 2 spaces away? or maybe 3?
C to D -> this one is tough, is it 2 spaces away? (1 empty space between them, 1 space to make them adjecent) or are they 4 spaces away (according to "put things on top of each other = 0 spaces away" rule)
D to E -> 1 or 3 spaces away?
E to F -> 1 space away (1 space to be adjacent) or 4 spaces away (4 spaces to be on top of each other)

You can attack enemies that are 1 space away (adjacent) normally and a person with reach can attack persons that are two spaces away (empty square followed by target). As such, I go with something such as Acanthus being six spaces away as being Acanthus, 5 empty spaces, then another Acanthus.

unfever wrote:

There is an entire discussion on this elsewhere. I believe folks agreed about tall grass, but there is some debate about Giant Stone Faces as they provide a great start for archers and dart throwers. My answer across the board is yes as there is no limitation that I see in the rules. However, folks bring up good RAW vs reality when they mention being ambushed by the monster (did my archer really have time to climb the Giant Stone Face despite being ambushed?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blueskew wrote:
There is an entire discussion on this elsewhere. I believe folks agreed about tall grass, but there is some debate about Giant Stone Faces as they provide a great start for archers and dart throwers. My answer across the board is yes as there is no limitation that I see in the rules. However, folks bring up good RAW vs reality when they mention being ambushed by the monster (did my archer really have time to climb the Giant Stone Face despite being ambushed?).

There is a limitation, though. The rules state that you cannot voluntarily move into spaces containing impassable terrain. The Giant Stone Face has this trait. The only thing that allows you to circumvent this rule is to use an activation while adjacent to the face. You have no option to do this before the showdown starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Entice wrote:

There is a limitation, though. The rules state that you cannot voluntarily move into spaces containing impassable terrain. The Giant Stone Face has this trait. The only thing that allows you to circumvent this rule is to use an activation while adjacent to the face. You have no option to do this before the showdown starts.

Correct about moving onto such a space. However, I'm not moving...I'm starting there. But this kind of back and forth will just spiral into the same dialogue loop again. I would love a definitive from Adam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.