Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you attack with two units and the defending player has 1 unit and 1 support unit does that mean both players will now have a supporting unit?

If the attacker is a flying unit against a ground unit (ground unit can only attack ground units) what happens during combat?
And what happens if the attacker has a ground unit as a support?

Each round can you only build 1 building and/or 1 module? So I can't build a factory and then upgrade the factory to level 2 on the same build order or purchase 3 modules on the same build order?

Does splash damage effect units on both sides after a battle, or just the defenders teams?

Do you retreat to the space your units came from or any other empty space on the planet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, although it's important to maintain a distinction between a support unit and an assist unit. Assist units always support (unless there are no frontline units), but frontline units can also support if one side has more frontline units (as in your example). To expand on your example, if two marines attack a marine and a science vessel, there will be one skirmish.

2. The defender's ground unit will not kill the flying unit, even if it has sufficient strength. If the attacker has a supporting ground unit, that unit would add its support value against the defender.

To further complicate matters: suppose an Ultralisk attacks a Scout and a Zealot. The defender chooses the Scout as his frontline unit, with the Zealot supporting. If the Ultralisk has sufficient strength against the Scout, he actually kills the Zealot, since he can't target the Scout. If the Scout had no supporting unit, the Ultralisk would kill nothing.

3. Correct. (edit; I see now that you said "round", it's actually one of each per build order)

4. Splash damage only affects the opposing player. If a Siege Tank triggers splash damage, supported by a Marine, and the opposing player doesn't have any other units, the splash damage does not kill his own Marine. There isn't any "friendly fire" from splash damage. (I think this is what your question was asking?)

5. You are allowed to retreat to any ONE area, either on the same planet, or on any adjacent planet if you have a transport.

Also, if you retreat to an area such that you are over the unit limit, you must destroy RETREATING units until you are within the limit. In other words, if you retreat to an area that contains existing Zerglings with a bunch of Ultralisks, you must destroy Ultralisks until you are within the unit limit. You can't just destroy the Zerglings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Towns
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you're enjoying the game! I included pages where my answers come from so hopefully I won't give you a dud! Here goes...

1. Yes, the attacker will pick a unit to attack the defender's unit, then the attacker's leftover unit will support (p. 29, attacker establishes skirmishes).

2. In combat if a unit's attack cannot target the front line unit but can target a supporting unit, the supporting unit is destroyed if the attack has sufficient strength (p. 35, destroying a supporting unit).

3. No, you cannot build multiple buildings or multiple modules on the same build order. Easy way to remember it is one new trapezoid, one new square (p. 23, upgrading bases).

4. I'm not sure what you're asking here, but whatever unit (attacking or defending) with splash damage has sufficient strength will trigger. For example, attacking unit and defending unit both have the splash damage keyword. If both have sufficient strength, both splash damages will trigger, attacker choosing his dead first (p. 40, resolving splash damage). If only the attacker has sufficient strength, only the attacker's splash will hit, etc.

5. You can retreat to any single friendly/empty area on the active planet or any single friendly/empty area on an adjacent planet connected by a transport (p. 33, resolve retreats). It does not have to be the original area the attacker came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanThe Man wrote:
Each round can you only build 1 building and/or 1 module?

you can build more, but you need more build orders for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good post.
I've got over 20 plays of this game and I still need to look at the rule books when playing.

It's my no1 game.
It's also the game that made me aware of boardgames other than mainstream garbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your answers. Helped me out heaps. Again I have played it wrong (damn it). Looks like I'll have to have another run at it this weekend. I do try to look for the answers in the rule book but some rules are worded weird and just doesn't make sense at the best of times. Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the play guide published by universalhead, at orderofgamers.com

His guides generally are very good, clear and concise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saturn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KirovThug wrote:

To further complicate matters: suppose an Ultralisk attacks a Scout and a Zealot. The defender chooses the Scout as his frontline unit, with the Zealot supporting. If the Ultralisk has sufficient strength against the Scout, he actually kills the Zealot, since he can't target the Scout. If the Scout had no supporting unit, the Ultralisk would kill nothing.

I just learnt something...

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KirovThug wrote:
Also, if you retreat to an area such that you are over the unit limit, you must destroy RETREATING units until you are within the limit. In other words, if you retreat to an area that contains existing Zerglings with a bunch of Ultralisks, you must destroy Ultralisks until you are within the unit limit. You can't just destroy the Zerglings.

Any idea why they came up with this unintuitive rule exception? I think I will play without it.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/StarCr...
Rulebook pages 21-22

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
KirovThug wrote:

Any idea why they came up with this unintuitive rule exception? I think I will play without it.

Try to think as the Zerglings are occuping a room and it's FULL of them.

Meanwhile, Ultralisks are retreating while under fire from Terrans/Protoss; they try to escape to that room but since it's full they can't enter fast enough and are killed by enemy fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.