6 Posts

Saloon Tycoon» Forums » General

Subject: Minimizing Player Sabotage/Interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Palau Life
msg tools
Hi!

I am a backer, but was wondering your thoughts on this: many people (including my partner and myself) dislike direct player interaction (especially of the sabotage/'take-that!'-edness that many games have). Of course, there is no judgement here because we all come to gaming for a variety of reasons! However, what are your thoughts on being able to minimize this with Saloon Tycoon? Usually we modify a game to remove this mechanic (when possible) or just house rule certain things. However, we've gone so far as to make additional cards, polymer pieces or sightly altered mechanics to suit our preferences. With Saloon Tycoon, are we able to minimize or mitigate this level of player interaction (e.g., stealing gold, etc) fairly easily? I am on mobile and having a hard time streaming gameplay so was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts? I can dig through the rulebook when I get home later, as well. Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mackin
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Though I haven't ssen all the cards, the ones I have seen so far give you extra abilities rather than sabotage or steal from an opponent. There is a card that makes a character move from one person's saloon to another (and one of the turn options is to pay 6 gold to move a character likewise). As open or secret objectives can be linked to having specific characters, being able to move them is an important element of the game. Also some of the tiles are limited in number so you may build a tile that you opponent wanted to build. Other than that i don't think there is any direct 'take that' in the game.

Edit
It's also possible that you may move a character with negative abilities to an opponent and in so doing you enable them to claim one of their secret objectives and therefore you have actually helped them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave. Thanks for the question. There is definitely a lot of interaction in the game so, just to be up front and straight up with you, taking out those elements is making a different game.

However, having said that, I think it is possible to minimize or eliminate that aspect if that sort of thing bothers you, but it will take a bit of work. There are cards that let you steal gold, cards, move characters etc.

This just isn't a multiplayer solitaire Euro game, so as much as I hate to point a prospective buyer in another direction, there are a lot more and better options if that is what you are looking for.

Thanks,
AJ and the Van Ryder Games team
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
Hi! Thank you to you both - I love the gameplay and theme and have happily already backed it, and I am excited for it for sure. That said, we are always open to trying new things - this is what life is all about, right? We usually modify games to our preference (adding cards or house-ruling things) but we always first play the game how it was built a few times to see what we think.

Can't wait for a fully successful KS for this game to be complete! Congratulations, it really looks like a fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Rugbydave wrote:
Hi! Thank you to you both - I love the gameplay and theme and have happily already backed it, and I am excited for it for sure. That said, we are always open to trying new things - this is what life is all about, right? We usually modify games to our preference (adding cards or house-ruling things) but we always first play the game how it was built a few times to see what we think.

Can't wait for a fully successful KS for this game to be complete! Congratulations, it really looks like a fun game!

Thanks Dave! Well I will tell you this... I have played with people whom have similar preferences and actually (and to my utter surprise) they liked it quite a bit as is. Anyway I like your approach and I think that is a great way to come at it. Thanks again for the support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Couch
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mb
AJ said it better than I could have! Thanks for your support Dave, and I hope you enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.