1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Local Color 2.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, folks, I've been threatening this for a while, and now it's time to pull the trigger: let's do a new version of Local Color!

The original version was 40 cards and accounted for both the Core Game and Breakin' Atmo, so there's a lot more ground to cover these days: Pirates & Bounty Hunters, Blue Sun, Kalidasa, and some of the smaller boosters. There are four more Contacts, as well as a number of new mechanics (eg, Piracy, Bounty Hunting, Alert Tokens, multiple Reavers, the Operative...) to consider, so this could be a bit of an undertaking, and will likely be more complicated than simply "add" 20 more cards."

What do folks think? Who's interested? Who's in? For those of you who have been using LOCAL COLOR, would you be interested in a new version that includes Rim Space? How has the current deck been playing with some of the expansions? Are there things that need to be tightened up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like LOCAL COLOR and use it in all my home games. I'd like to see it expanded a little. Right now I believe the cards are divided like so:
-----------------------------------------
| |
| Flavor Text is up here |
| |
|-----------------------------------------|
| KEEP | USE |
| | |
| | |
| | |

And some of the cards are like this:

| |
| |
| Immediate effect: |
| |
| |
| |

I'd like to see something added like this:

| |
| |
| KEEP | USE |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| System, Planet |

Where System, Planet, and Moon is just a text listing at the bottom of each card.

These cards may be saved in your hand and turned in in sets of 3 like sets are turned in in RISK:

3 matching systems = 1 free 'goods'
3 matching planets = 1 free action (cannot be an action you've taken in a turn).

There are plenty of systems and planets and only certain planets would be duplicated often enough to allow for triple planet sets. Usually these would be on the more desirable cards to make their entry into play less common.

Since you can't keep the cards that don't have 'keep/use' on them they wouldn't need to have planets and systems on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's an interesting idea.

I believe all cards have a Use Now and Keep Later option, but what you might be thinking of for "image 2" is that some of the have something that happens IMMEDIATELY regardless of what choice you pick (those are generally the more powerful ones, and what happens immediately is often to your detriment).

I do like the idea of making them a bit like Risk cards, but I wonder if putting planets on is too much? I could be mistaken, but I think with the addition of Rim Space, there are now more than 60 planets, so assuming each planet had equal representation, you'd never get a set.

Maybe just systems?

3 of 1 system = 1 Good ON A PLANET IN THAT SYSTEM?

1 of each of the 5 systems = Free Action.

Oh, wait. That doesn't work because you can only keep three right now... Gorrammit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You need not have all the systems/planets represented. Perhaps just the supply worlds as planets are duplicated and then some of the more active job sites for the others.

I was thinking that the free good could be picked up anytime you turn in the cards. Which, like the 'keep' cards can be played any time. They'd be great for Family Dinners or those weird cases where you find yourself without fuel. Or if you can squeeze out one extra cargo on a get paid for X cargo job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of planets, how about contacts? Then collecting a set of "small favours" lets you get a thematically appropriate reward from that contact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm SUPER EXCITED about this Local Color 2.0: More Color!

Sadly, I don't have many thoughts to offer at this moment, but I'll keep thinking on the ideas and see what I can add to the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will definitely get a set of version 2.0 and I'll use it in a PBF game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Local Color 2: Electric Boogaloo
Local Color 2: Local Color Harder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Okay, folks, I've been threatening this for a while, and now it's time to pull the trigger: let's do a new version of Local Color!

This sounds very cool.

gwek wrote:

What do folks think? Who's interested? Who's in? For those of you who have been using LOCAL COLOR, would you be interested in a new version that includes Rim Space? How has the current deck been playing with some of the expansions? Are there things that need to be tightened up?

I'm definitely interested in helping with the new version. I lost a little bit track of the final graphical transition of my German translations of Local Color V1. It took a while to get a new enough version of Photoshop for working with the English PSD-files.
Now I have one and for a new version of Local Color I directly try to get some time to do the translations and the graphical implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chloe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting! I haven't had a chance to fully digest the first expansion yet, let alone use it, so I'll keep quiet until I know what I'm talking about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, folks. I was looking over the existing cards, and although there are some tweaks I'd like to make, I'm honestly not sure that I want to get rid of any of them!

I also looked PBH and the Rim expansions to see what kinds of things we might want to add. I tried to have at least one card related to pretty much every game plan mechanic, and I'd like to continue that.

So, new cards would include:

* Four cards for the Rim Contacts. In general, the contact cards give you the opportunity to Deal with the named Contact, and may offer a Work opportunity if you're solid.

* Piracy? Not sure what it would be yet.

* At least one card related to Bounties, possibly one where you can refresh the "Most Wanted" (maybe that requires Solid with Harken?)

* Most of the Careers already have cards, keyed to them in some way (generally where having the appropriate type of Crew offers a job opportunity), so cards should be added for Lawmen, Mudders, and perhaps Hill Folk (who were previously left out).

* Maybe something related to Havens?

* Alert tokens. I'm actually not sure if these need their own cards, or if that will be one of the ways to polish up existing cards.

* Possibly something related to regions of space (Rim Space, the asteroid belts, or Reaver Space), although I'm not sure what it would be). One possibility might be getting to take a BUY action at one of the Rim Supply planets ("Rim Trader"?).

* The Operative - clearly, he and his Corvette need to be incorporated in some way.

Are there any other major elements I'm missing? This brings us to about 12-15 cards, which accounts for a large chunk of what I'm looking to add.

For those of you who've used Local Color before, are there any cards that stand out as in need of improvement? Any that are so great that they should be toned down? Or some that are generally worthless? Although I know the product has generally been very well-received, there's always room for improvement (especially with all the practical playtesting that's gone down!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Piracy-related ideas: what about a card that gave you the chance to possibly turn the tables on someone if they target you with a piracy job. Perhaps something like "if someone targets you with a piracy job, prior to the Showdown, play this card. If you win the showdown, you may take [one good] from them"

Or one that could allow you to take one good from their stash on a successful piracy job.

I haven't played with Piracy (or with local color), so perhaps those options aren't feasible or would need tweaking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDave2176 wrote:
Where System, Planet, and Moon is just a text listing at the bottom of each card.

Another, alternate, use for having every planet listed on cards would be the ability to generate a random planet simply by drawing a card. They could be weighted to favor major planets or supply planets, etc. Or not. Either way it could be handy to have for the occasion when picking a planet at random is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

* At least one card related to Bounties, possibly one where you can refresh the "Most Wanted" (maybe that requires Solid with Harken?)

Something like:

"If a {wanted} crew Pirate a player while a Harken Job is active, they become "Most Wanted."

If a Crew have upset Harken, he get's his own back!

gwek wrote:

* Most of the Careers already have cards, keyed to them in some way (generally where having the appropriate type of Crew offers a job opportunity), so cards should be added for Lawmen, Mudders, and perhaps Hill Folk (who were previously left out).

* Alert tokens. I'm actually not sure if these need their own cards, or if that will be one of the ways to polish up existing cards.

In the Legal work - For the Aliiance thread I'm working on the new Jobs for Lawmen, as you know. Alert Tokens also figured in my very early samples. (A shameless plug for that thread.)

gwek wrote:

* The Operative - clearly, he and his Corvette need to be incorporated in some way.

HOORAY! I was almost beginning to think you had forgotten him... whistle

Just a few thoughts while having my breakfast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

"A Case of Mistaken Identity"
If one of the bounties showing applies to one of your crew, discard that bounty.

KEEP: (requires FAKE ID) Collect any active bounty by turning in a different wanted crew in place of the actual wanted person.

USE: Return a crew removed from the game by bounty to the supply decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

"News travels Fast, Bad news even faster."

KEEP: Once you have cleared one or more Alert tokens, you may place your choice of an Alliance alert token or a Reaver alert token in that sector as you leave it.

USE: Place a reaver alert token on any sector adjacent to the current sector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

"If your quarry goes to ground, leave no ground to go to."

If River Tam is in play (in a Supply discard pile or hired as crew) search the Bounty deck and place her Bounty in play. [Ignore if not using Bounties in this game]

USE: Move the Operative's Corvette to Persephone

KEEP: Move the Operative's Corvette to the same sector as River Tam (Persephone if she is in the Supply Deck)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cooley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harbinjer wrote:
MrDave2176 wrote:

Another, alternate, use for having every planet listed on cards would be the ability to generate a random planet simply by drawing a card. They could be weighted to favor major planets or supply planets, etc. Or not. Either way it could be handy to have for the occasion when picking a planet at random is needed.

I was going to say the same thing, as an alternative to the Destination Cards I've been working on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo How about some love for Cortex Relay 2? I'm thinking making the Operative active/inactive for a period in the game when the card(s) are drawn, so that he is occasionally between assignments, during which time you skip his Nav Card actions.

Such as:

CORTEX RELAY 2: CALL OFF YOUR DOG! Return the Corvette to base on CR2. Ignore Operative Actions on Nav Cards for the rest of the game turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What came in my mind this week:

Could you please design your Local Color 2.0 playable for both the English and the German game?

The problem is that for the German game until now only the base game, Breaking Atmo and Artful Dodger is released.
P&B was said to be released in Q1/16.

I'd love to have a Local Color 2.0 that can be played with the German version just by sorting some cards out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I don't speak German, but if someone wants to work with me on that, I'm happy to.

Heck, if someone wants to work on translating things like ACES & EIGHTS, I'd love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could give the translations a try but for that I definitely need all original PS-files.

And if someone would put together some e.g. printerstudio-projects for all these cards, that would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Necromancer that I am:

Some new cards for Local Color

Quote:
Strict Dress Code

Immediate:
7 (+
per FANCY DUDS):
1-3 Disgruntle 2 Crew.
4-6 Disguntle 1 Crew.
7+ Proceed.

Play: We have your size
BUY: take 1 Gear Card from any face-up Supply World at half cost, round up.
BUY: Requires FANCY DUDS - take Shore Leave at half cost, round down.

Keep: Dinner Jacket Required
Play when: A Rival takes Shore Leave.
Effect: Crew without FANCY DUDS remain Disgruntled.

Quote:
Local Guild Hall

Play: Welcome, member!
BUY: Take Shore Leave and select a Profession. Crew with that Profession cost $0.

Keep: We don't serve their kind around here!
Play when: A Rival takes Shore Leave.
Effect: Card Holder names a Profession. Rival's Crew with that Profession remain Disgruntled.

Quote:
Weird Skip on the Cortex

Play: Analyze the Frequency
For every 2
, remove 1 Alert Token within 3 Sectors of your Ship.

Keep: Noise to Signal Ratio
Play when: A Rival takes a Fly Action.
Effect: For every 2
, place 1 Alert Token in any Sector adjacent to the Rival's ship. You cannot place Reaver Tokens in Alliance Space.

Quote:
Hackers Wanted!

Play: We are Synonymous!
WORK: Requires HACKING RIG: For every 3
, either discard and redraw 1 Bounty Card OR discard 1 Wanted Token from your Crew.

Keep: You are Synonymous!
Play when: Both you and a Rival each have a HACKING RIG.
Effect: For every 3
amongst your Crew, the Rival places a WANTED Token on one of their Crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Rose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered so cannot offer much in the way of feedback yet.

I find the rim is rarely used right now. Would a separate - slightly more useful - rim space deck get no use or make the rim more worthwhile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Necromancer that I am:

Some new cards for Local Color

Those are very cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.