10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game for 10 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Stevens
msg tools
Hi folks

One of my students loves boardgames and needs a reward for his behavior plan. Playing a game with him would be a reward for us both! But none of the games I own at home seem right for a 10 year old. He loves Minecraft, football and Star Wars. A player count of 3-5 would be ideal. Oh, and here's the kicker: we've only got about 20 minutes for a playthrough.

Help me, BGG, you're my only hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
BlazmoIntoWowee wrote:
Hi folks

One of my students loves boardgames and needs a reward for his behavior plan. Playing a game with him would be a reward for us both! But none of the games I own at home seem right for a 10 year old. He loves Minecraft, football and Star Wars. A player count of 3-5 would be ideal. Oh, and here's the kicker: we've only got about 20 minutes for a playthrough.

Help me, BGG, you're my only hope!

King of Tokyo? List time is 30 minutes, but once you know the rules you could probably squeeze it in in 20 minutes, or just see who's ahead after 20 min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also:

Escape: The Curse of the Temple

That one is guaranteed 10 minutes, it's timed! You could even get two games in cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Dominion or Red7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Also:

Escape: The Curse of the Temple

That one is guaranteed 10 minutes, it's timed! You could even get two games in cool

Good suggestion. And if you get it set up first you could get in 2 games without too much stress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie Deml
United States
Waseca
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Minecraft Card Game?

I bought this one for my son who loves Minecraft. It's very simple, and it plays very quickly.

I'd also thumbsup Escape: The Curse of the Temple. As mentioned, you could get in a couple games, it's simple to learn, and great for smaller groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the King of Tokyo and Escape recommendations. I could also suggest Ultimate Warriorz and the Dice Masters series as well off the top of my head.

Continuing with dice, either Zombie Dice or Dino Hunt Dice (the same game, just depends on what theme he prefers) and Ninja Dice (another push your luck dice game but very different game play as all players are also rolling dice and involved in every other player's turn and you are going up against a pre-rolled "house" made up of an increasing number of dice over three turns - a great little fast and light filler that has gone over well with younger gamers I have introduced to it).

A football fan may like 1st & Goal. That in fact may be a great fit, as I enjoy it myself as a light little football game with some cool dice rolling. It has been a while since I have played it but I don't think it would be too complex for a 10 year old.

In that age range I've had success with Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise (which my whole family, children and adults like to play), a lot of luck with Tsuro - it is elegant enough for adults to enjoy and easy enough for kids that age. Also, I do remember my niece really having fun with Get Bit! and Walk the Plank! around that age - with the bonus that all the adults actually have fun playing them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from King of Tokyo or King of New York, I thought of Raptor! It's a two player game, but also plays well as one team pitted against another. My ten eleven year old loves the figurines. It's a game that fires kids' imagination !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
gobaith wrote:
Apart from King of Tokyo or King of New York, I thought of Raptor! It's a two player game, but also plays well as one team pitted against another. My ten eleven year old loves the figurines. It's a game that fires kids' imagination !

Why didn't I think of that! Great suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Scratch that. Missed the time requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.