Hide
6 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Monopurple vs Monored - a log rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
H J
msg tools
This was my first 3v3 game, and I know some people want hints about the purple faction, which I was playing

I won't be mentioning workers, they're most turns until the end of the game.

He went first, summoning Zane (2/2 haste hero from Anarchy) and Nautical Dog (1/1 +1 attack on his own turn). Zane hit my base for 2. The damage on my base wasn't scary, I knew I had durable blockers. Nautical Dog was very strong for 1g, though, and that was a bit of a worry.

I had the 'good turn 2 purple card': Fading Argonaut. A 2/3 for 2 is great for a tech 0 unit. It has the downside of dieing at the start of your third turn after you play it, but if a tech 0 unit contributes for 3 turns, it's doing well anyway. I played it and Geiger, a 2/3 hero with Sparkshot from the Present spec.

He threw his dog and hero into Argonaut, killing all three! This felt great for me. I think he was scared of Zane dieing on my turn to give my hero levels. He also dropped red's great-value early unit, the 3/2 for 2 Bloodrage Ogre. It was a squad leader so Geiger couldn't kill it. He started his Tech I building.

I started on my Tech I building too. And I played Nullcraft! One of my favourite cards from the purple starter, it's a 1/1 haste flying tech 0 for 2! I ran Geiger into the Ogre, and Nullcrafted finished it without being injured, because flying is amazing. I also spent the last of the turn's gold to summon Vir, the future hero that lets you see, get, and play cards from the top of your Deck, he's a 2/3 and took the squad lead spot for the armor.

He threw down a big board: A 2/2 Bombaster, a 2/2 Lobber, and a 1/3 Drakk, the Blood hero. My Nullcrafted poked his Tech I building, thinking I might be able to destroy it next turn. I also played a pair of Argonauts, my Tech I choice: They're from the Present spec and are 3/4s with Readiness, meaning they can clear off Red's guys and still block his haste dudes. That put 9 health between his units and my hero, so I killed one of his 2/2s.

He played Nautical Dog again, and... Rickity Mine. It'a a Blood Tech I building that gets him gold, but can explode and end up being a big waste of a card. I can tell you now that it gained him 9 gold and really put me on the backfoot economy wise, I should have destroyed it. He also built Anarchy's Tech II building. I checked my Print&play to see what Anarchy's tech II units were - a lot of haste and Stealth and... oh god, their Tech III was terrifying! A haste, long-range, flying, obliterating pirate gunship. I could not deal with that. (I've since noticed Future can stand a chance against it, but I didn't go Future this game).

Now was my big risky turn that I think paid off in the end. In this turn, I play no cards from hand, not even to make a worker. I kill all his units and his hero, but not his Mine or Tech II. By doing so, and throwing gold at it, my Vir hits max level. Not only does that heal him to a respectable 3/5, but it triggers his ability: In two turns (meaning nothing now... I have a vulnerable period) I get a massive 6/7 untargetable unit for no cost! I also start building the Present Tech II building because it seems to have a bunch of generically good units in it. oh right, Nullcraft poked his Tech II because maybe I can kill it next turn?

He summons two heroes, Zane and Jaina, kills one of my Argonauts with a stealthy hasted monkey, and places down a Lobber. Lots of board.

I use Vir to play the top card of my Deck, Tricycloid! This Tech II Present unit is a 3/3, that comes with 3 +1/+1 tokens, and can turn those tokens into damage on just about anything...

And it does! Tricycloid and Nullcraft combine to kill his Tech II. He commented that he didn't think that was worth it, compared to Summoning a hero and getting levels from killing Jaina, and maybe killing Rickity Mine would have been better... but this was my first game and I didn't want him to have Tech buildings.

I manage to kill Zane, also, by putting Battle Suits into play, a starter-Deck upgrade that gives a bunch of units +1 attack (Soldiers and Mystics, some of which aren't even part of purple, screaming multi-colour).

With my last 0 g, I play a 4/4 Resist 1 Tech I unit. Wait, 0g, how is that fair? Knight of the Conclave uses the same mechanic as Vir's maxband, he doesn't happen until later. I have to wait 3 turns to get anything from him. 3 turns is a long time, and I regret adding him to my deck this game.

He summons Drak and he immediately goes to maximum level. He uses red burn to kill my Tricycloid, also losing Jaina to do so. He then uses Drakk's maxband of giving anything haste to kill my Tech II... ouch. His Tech II gets rebuilt.

I rebuild my own Tech II while putting up a bunch of defenses. A Tower defends against that Disguised Monkey he has, a Fading Argonaut is a 3/3 with Battle Suits up, and most importantly: Vir's midband arrives. It doesn't have haste, but it's still huge. I put it in the Squad Leader position, making it an untargetable 6/8 with taunt. I feel fairly safe here. Conclave is still arriving, slowpoke.

He goes again, summoning Zane, and trading both his existing units and Zane to kill my 6/8: I consider that good value! He drops a steam tank to defend and... oh god, he starts his Tech III building. Red alert, I cannot win against his Tech III unit. He even builds a tower to make it hurt to take down.

I play Present's two 'immediate impact' units: Tricycloid again, and Hyperion. Hyperion is, I believe, the lynchpin of Present Tech II. She's a 4/5 Haste, already good, that draws a card, meaning you can easily maintain a large hand size while throwing her around. Also, she's a Soldier, so she's a 5/5 with Battle Suits, hasting into 1-shotting tech buildings. I throw everything at him: Nullcraft, hero, Hyperion, and Tricycloid counters. It's enough to wipe his board, except his tower and Tech II. I couldn't Worker this turn but I feel in control, even with all my board injured and Nullcraft dead from the tower. Knight of the Conclave arrives next turn... I spent a card how long ago for him?

He makes a good turn with Zane and two Haste units wiping my board (this was actually illegal because Zane died last turn, but neither of us caught it at the time). Jaina comes down at level 3 in Squad Leader - a tactical error from him, since if she was in Elite, Hyperion wouldn't survive attacking her.

And that error costs him the game almost immediately. I summon a Hyperion and Geiger. Hyperion kills Jaina, Geiger levels a bit. I put money to get Geiger to max. Geiger's max band is a tricky little bit of utility that won the game right here. It trashes, then resummons, one of your units. That heals my Hyperion, she arrives again so I draw another card, and she has haste again, smashing his Tech III, again. Also, Knight of the Conclave has arrived and will be a useful blocker this turn. With Geiger and Conclave blocking, I put the nail-in-the-coffin behind them: Chronofixer. Chronofixer seals games where you're slightly ahead. He stops opponents heroes from leveling, full stop. Without access to leveled heroes or Tech III units, I think I've won this. I should be able to keep Tech III perpetually dead.

He mounts a mediocre board next turn and tries to rebuild that Tech III.

I destroy it again, while my board is only growing.

He concedes. His Tech II options are largely neutered by my Tower, his Tech III options are clogging his hand, and his heroes are locked to their weakest form.

There were a lot of turns this game where being 1 damage short would have let his Tech III survive, and Pirate Gunship would have locked the game out the other way. Very close game, very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop doing this to me. This game cannot arrive soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelvonar wrote:
Stop doing this to me. This game cannot arrive soon enough.

start crafting your PnP file!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Already started...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kas Nova

California
msg tools
Lyee wrote:

He threw his dog and hero into Argonaut, killing all three! This felt great for me. I think he was scared of Zane dieing on my turn to give my hero levels.

I think this was another mistake. Your hero gets a level even when their hero does on their own turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Go on 'head get down with it.
badge
Take it to the chorus!
mbmbmbmbmb
KasNova wrote:
Lyee wrote:

He threw his dog and hero into Argonaut, killing all three! This felt great for me. I think he was scared of Zane dieing on my turn to give my hero levels.

I think this was another mistake. Your hero gets a level even when their hero does on their own turn.

This is a pretty recent change to the rules; three weeks ago you only got levels on your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.