Subject: Upping the difficulty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of sad, but my husband and I have played Firefly so much that nearly all of the story cards have become way too easy for us when we're the only two playing. Occasionally having a shorter game is nice, but I feel like with a game that requires as much prep as Firefly you want to get at least an hour of playtime in. We have modified a couple of the story cards to make them more challenging, and I was just wondering if anybody else has done something similar? I would be interested to see what you've tried.

We usually use the "Where the Wind Takes Us" story card because the location of the goal tokens is different each game. The winning condition is having three goal tokens so we just modified it to where you need $5,000 per token- so in order to get your third token you need at least $15,000. This usually makes the game last about an hour and a half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group just played a couple games back to back with different stories. There are multiple ways to make it harder I suppose, increasing price for fuel/parts. Making it so you need to do 2 jobs for a contact to make them 'solid'. I don't know, but it sounds like you've played a lot more than me though since I only received my copy at Christmas 2015. (Must reread before posting)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you (and/or your husband) tend to grab the same crew each game? If so, one variant that can increase the difficulty / spice things up, would be to remove those crew members from the game prior to the start. Makes you come up with alternate strategies other than your usual routine.

(or maybe that doesn't apply to you, and you both tend to change things up from game to game on your own.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Not sure about this for only two players, but you might make it work. With the Desperadoes story card, limit the number of jobs each contact will support. This small wrinkle makes the game really cutthroat.
There was a thread earlier about using tokens to signify solidity, so you didn't have all those job cards fanned out above your ship. I used tokens from Settlers of Catan and Risk 2000 because they were the right size and color. I put five of them (color-coded) next to each job/challenge deck, and you take one with each completed job. When the last one goes, all uncompleted jobs from that deck are returned to the deck, which is now closed. The fewer tokens you start with, the more brutal the game, because you can get gazumped just before your killer move. Five tokens and four players adds a slight risk; four tokens and four players forces you to take risks and play aggressively. and so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're using all expansions, consider pulling out, say, half the Keep Flying cards to make the NPCs more active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, guys! I'll have to play around with some of these ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Z
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi April, my wife and I play a lot of 2 player games too. We favour the money game when we have 3 hrs. or so. Simple premise - and we feel it holds true to the game - get all the money. When its gone, see who has the most. It seems very simple, but it does change the dynamic, playing a longer game...

Another fun wrinkle we've used is that no 'named crew' will hire onto your crew until you have a reputation (e.g. 3 solids, $5k, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I think I will try both of Greg's suggestions. I also play a Marathon game in which you have to be solid with all nine contacts to win, which forces everyone to go everywhere, but it takes more than 3 hours (unless you take big risks),

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Duffy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I add a few wrinkles in that you might consider.

If you have a character and some of their gear is available to buy (Vera for Jayne or Simon's shades) and you have the money you MUST buy.

If Yo/Bridge/Saf is at a supply planet she rolls talk against the Captain and if she wins he/she MUST hire her.

In a money game you only have 15 turns to come up with the cash but you can buy 5 extra turns for 5,000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gregcanada wrote:

Another fun wrinkle we've used is that no 'named crew' will hire onto your crew until you have a reputation (e.g. 3 solids, $5k, etc)

That idea could be fun! Might have to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
I think I will try both of Greg's suggestions. I also play a Marathon game in which you have to be solid with all nine contacts to win, which forces everyone to go everywhere, but it takes more than 3 hours (unless you take big risks),

We have done that as well. We once did a scenario where you had to be solid with all nine contacts plus purchase a crew member from each supply planet (we started with the crew expansion upgrade). It was pretty fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
The crew thing is limited to two players, but how about this (I don't know if I've seen it before in one of the story cards):
(A) You can only buy a crew after completing a job.
-That might force players to work their way up the job ladder, as it were, and pay more attention to the Harken and Duul decks. or
(B) You can only buy a crew after completing a job, and from a Supply Deck controlled by that Contact (the nearest ones, with Patience getting Osiris and Harken getting Silverhold; Mr. U and Higgins are open decks).
-That would really force you to think about job sequencing.

LATER: I tried both - something of an abattoir (Reaver Feast). (B) plays better, with a limit of 2 completed jobs/contact, so it doesn't turn into a Harken frenzy at the start. It really stretches out the first act, and makes for some odd situations (trying to keep the Alliance Cruiser away from the other playes). I also gave everyone two leaders, only one of whom is captain (with captain bonuses), so the Reavers can be really devastating on your tiny but valuable crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.