• [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
spamman5r wrote:
Homage, or trademark infringement?

What is the case for a trade mark infringement? The two games are obviously different, with a different theme, and the phrase does not belong to a specific series.

There are no exclusive rights on ideas and words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spamman5r
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmilitaru wrote:
spamman5r wrote:

What is the case for a trade mark infringement? The two games are obviously different, with a different theme, and the phrase does not belong to a specific series.

There are no exclusive rights on ideas and words.

Well, agree with it or not, there is a concept of an exclusive right on words in conjunction with specific products, at least in certain jurisdictions.

Wiki, for reference: "Where the respective marks or products or services are not identical, similarity will generally be assessed by reference to whether there is a likelihood of confusion that consumers will believe the products or services originated from the trademark owner."

It then goes on to define a few criteria which could constitute "confusion" from one circuit court in the United States

Strength of the mark - One of the best known board games in our hobby.

Proximity of the goods - They are the exact same type of good.

Similarity of the marks - Exact same subtitle.

Evidence of actual confusion - The fact that this thread exists.

Marketing channels used - Likely the same, but I couldn't really tell you for sure.

Type of goods and the degree of care likely to be exercised by the purchaser - Probably the best case for this game, as you stated they are different games and different themes

Defendant's intent in selecting the mark - No idea.

Likelihood of expansion of the product lines - Not sure on this test, either.

If CGE (or whoever is the current publisher of TtA in the US) really wanted to pick a fight, it would probably be one they could easily win...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're certainly not the only one who was confused at first. "A story of civilization" is not exactly a common phrase especially in a board game context. I find it difficult to believe that whoever decided on the title wasn't aware of the similarity -- in fact I would be worried about the designer's credentials if they _hadn't_ heard of Through the Ages.

Then again the designers and the publisher are Polish and the "A story of Civilization" wasn't a part of the title in the Polish version of TtA. Still strange, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crazy things happen in courts all the time in all the jurisdictions. However, "Story of Civilization" is descriptive of the theme and is very close in meaning and use to the generic term "history".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RedImp Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Just to be clear: the chosen title of the game strictly corresponds to what authors wanted the game to be, specifically the history of human civilization on Mars, its highlights and critical moments, "written" in the course of the game. We cannot imagine a more accurate title regarding the subject. This game is not based on the game you have mentioned, it is something quite new. Soon we are going to write more about the game and post photos of the prototype, thus hopefully satisfy your curiosity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
spamman5r wrote:
Definitely NOT trademark infringement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
You're certainly not the only one who was confused at first. "A story of civilization" is not exactly a common phrase especially in a board game context. I find it difficult to believe that whoever decided on the title wasn't aware of the similarity -- in fact I would be worried about the designer's credentials if they _hadn't_ heard of Through the Ages.

I clicked through to this from the hotness list specifically because the sub-title made me assume that this was a Through the Ages sequel or spin-off.

If passing off is not the intent of the name, it seems oddly coincidental, and needlessly close to an existing IP. Why not "A Story of Colonisation" instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I also thought it was something to do with TtA from the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I clicked here because of the name and potential link to TTA as well

Free advertising at its best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nade L
msg tools
While I don't believe this is copyright infringement, it just seems ridiculous. One of those things that will not encourage me to try this game. Not saying it might not be a great game, but the subtitle similarity feels like a hoodwink, so I'm already not that interested. Now they are fighting an uphill battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Anderson
United States
Sundance
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twomorrow wrote:
While I don't believe this is copyright infringement, it just seems ridiculous. One of those things that will not encourage me to try this game. Not saying it might not be a great game, but the subtitle similarity feels like a hoodwink, so I'm already not that interested. Now they are fighting an uphill battle.

Wow. I really like the Through the Ages link. I remember a dev diary for Robinson where Vladda gave Ignacy advise on the design. While I like the title, I almost think it's a joke between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redimp wrote:
Just to be clear: the chosen title of the game strictly corresponds to what authors wanted the game to be, specifically the history of human civilization on Mars, its highlights and critical moments, "written" in the course of the game. We cannot imagine a more accurate title regarding the subject. This game is not based on the game you have mentioned, it is something quite new. Soon we are going to write more about the game and post photos of the prototype, thus hopefully satisfy your curiosity.

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is an issue, it is about brand confusion, not about how accurately the words of the title describe the game. Clearly, a large part of the attention this game has received in recent days arises from the title implicitly saying, in the language of branding, that this is a Mars variant on Through the Ages approved by CGE.

The brand confusion is a problem for customers, whatever the attitude of CGE and its licensees. It could turn into a more direct problem for the publishers if CGE or significant licensees have not approved the title and decide to take action based on trademark infringement (not copyright infringement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
mja4430 wrote:
Twomorrow wrote:

Wow. I really like the Through the Ages link. I remember a dev diary for Robinson where Vladda gave Ignacy advise on the design. While I like the title, I almost think it's a joke between the two.

Wrong game. You're thinking of First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Anderson
United States
Sundance
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stexe wrote:
mja4430 wrote:
Twomorrow wrote:

Wrong game. You're thinking of First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet

blush Oops. So I am. Too many Martian games apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ConG wrote:
If there is an issue, it is about brand confusion, not about how accurately the words of the title describe the game. Clearly, a large part of the attention this game has received in recent days arises from the title implicitly saying, in the language of branding, that this is a Mars variant on Through the Ages approved by CGE.

The brand confusion is a problem for customers, whatever the attitude of CGE and its licensees. It could turn into a more direct problem for the publishers if CGE or significant licensees have not approved the title and decide to take action based on trademark infringement (not copyright infringement).

I agree that there is brand confusion, and I'm only on this forum because of that brand confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Waiting for the publisher to say, "If there's a problem, then Barsoo me!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering. How could a game about Martians be mistaken for a game about history, with lots cards of divided into several ages?

I understand it could happen for a few minutes on a website unaffiliated to either publisher or while scanning the shelves of a real or online shop, before you manage to get a look at the game proper. But after you have the box or the briefest description of the game under your eyes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
ConG wrote:

I agree that there is brand confusion, and I'm only on this forum because of that brand confusion.

Like many of us. I was thinking 'hmm what's Vlaada up to now'. So attempting to punk views is certainly working (but not garnering any interest here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
ConG wrote:

Ditto.

gmilitaru wrote:
Just wondering. How could a game about Martians be mistaken for a game about history, with lots cards of divided into several ages?

Wow, seriously? You think it's that crazy for someone to think this might be a sci-fi re-theme/re-imagining of TtA?
Catan did it.
Terra Mystica is about to do it.
Mage Knight is working on it (and that's even a Vlaada!)
There are probably others out there.
Why not TtA?

Quote:
I understand it could happen for a few minutes on a website unaffiliated to either publisher or while scanning the shelves of a real or online shop, before you manage to get a look at the game proper. But after you have the box or the briefest description of the game under your eyes?

And that is the whole point. If the brand confusion is enough that you have to read the fine print on the back of the box to distinguish it, that is too much brand confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn! Now I'm going to have to re-think the title of my newest game:
FAST FOOD JUNKIE: A Story of Civilization
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bellamy
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how so many people can claim brand confusion and then call Through the ages: a story of civilisation TtA, surely if you were confused about the brand you would abbreviate it as aSoC and not TtA. Anyway I'm off out for a Big Mick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.