Patrick Gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
I was looking at through the Upgrades when I noticed something weird. The order of values of the Upgrades following the cards is progressively higher ( 5, 10,15...) until you get to "Head Computer" (40) and "Drive a Hard Bargain" (35). I am just wondering if the order of the stickers was flipped or if the actual values was flipped.

Looking at the powers they grant I wouldn't be surprised if the values were mistakenly switched. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cant
United Kingdom
Retford, Notts
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For context

Drive a hard bargain - when you buy from the BM you may put a card at least 3 nuyen less than the bought card into your discard.

Head computer - remove 1 basic card from your deck and replace it with Jacked In

I actually agree with the designers on this. Jacked in is an incredibly versatile card all the way through the game even if you aren't the decker but particularly if you are.

Getting a free card is good but how many times will this trigger. You have to buy something five nuyen or greater and have a card in the market that fits both the criteria and your stratergy - a Mage or street samurai do not want a splash of colour as this dilutes their main sources of damage.

How many cards will you be buying that are five nuyen or more in any given game probably 3, 4 at a push. So that's the most this will trigger. Where as jacked in from the start means you can upgrade your basics almost every turn, bar the reshuffle turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
I neither agree nor disagree with the values (presently) assigned to those upgrades. In the end, a 5 Karma difference isn't that great. I simply want to know if 1 of 2 different mistakes was done. I am more looking for an official answer.

Be that as it may, I am not adverse to argue the point.

Your right that Jacked In is an amazing card to start with. It is a great card that has the potential to double the damage of any Basic card, and you have the potential to have it in your hand practically every turn of the game. I can easily see why it would be worth 35-40 Karma.

But I hope you'll grant that at one point we all want to save up for that BIG card (Fireball, Hero Move, Hack the World, Az. Striker) and being able to pick up a 5-6 ny card at the same time would definitely help:
a.) compensate the cost of skipping 1 turn or 2 of possible purchases to get enough currency for this, and
b.) there are sometimes where you just need to get THAT CARD in you deck, even if it gives you a splash of color. (I'm looking at you Doc Wagon Contract!)

You probably have more session of Crossfire under your belt than I do, and so may have a better appreciation of the reliability factor of Head Computer compared to the random possible benefit of Drive a Hard Bargain, it's just I see certain synergies that could make the second one almost wrong in it potential to augment a runner's deck. Reliability vs random chance is always hard to judge, which is why I can see why the cost of both these card is separated by only 5 Karma.

What would be funny is if and when this thread gets an official answer, we find out that they are both supposed to be 35 or 40 karma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are printed correctly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cant
United Kingdom
Retford, Notts
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:

There's the official answer.

Thanks Sean! Speedy as always.

I'm considering head computer for my decker.

I'm not saying drives a hard bargain is bad, just would choose head computer over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
SevenSpirits wrote:

Thanks for the answer!

Yrael wrote:
There's the official answer.

Thanks Sean! Speedy as always.

I'm considering head computer for my decker.

I'm not saying drives a hard bargain is bad, just would choose head computer over it.

And I wasn't arguing that "Head Computer" was not a sweet Upgrade either. I'm playing a Face and, when I have enough Karma, am seriously considering "Drives a Hard Bargain".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cant
United Kingdom
Retford, Notts
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, let me know how it works out.

How much karma do you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.