United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Supposedly this game comes out this weekend or early next week. What's the rationale for not getting the hype wagon up and rolling, long before the release? Or at least more than 7 days before the release?

it seems like a real missed opportunity to not get the word out. Wouldn't it be better for the game if lots of folks heard about it and were excited about picking it up? But coming from the boardgame world, with FFG and other big publishers getting the news out for new games months in advance, maybe I'm missing something.

Anyone from the tabletop world care to speculate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
(and I mean aside from the regular "GW is terrible and can't do anything right" speculations)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because GW doesn't need hype to sell a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I popped into my local GW today and they told me that details of the game are being released this Saturday (26th Feb) and the game is actually releasing the following Saturday (March 5th).

Personally I prefer the way Games Workshop release a game - "Here's a cool looking game and - ta da! - you can buy it almost immediately!" There's no waiting for months and months for the game to actually show up.

I see what you mean though, they could be missing out on a bit of marketing hype. Then again, it's Games Workshop, any positive hype on the internet will quickly be drowned out by critisism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, they get a certain amount of 'free' advertising via BOLS, Spikey Bits, etc.

IDK, as someone who works in a marketing firm everyday, it doesn't make sense to me either - we would never advise a client to take this approach.

My guess is that the longer it was out there, the more it would get dissected, killing any 'impulse' purchase boost they would get.

I agree that maybe they need to add a week to their heads up announcements on some things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
GW has a built-in niche customer base (in this instance, 40K players) who will buy this release up in no time. The price-point alone will drive off any "outsiders" in the gaming world. This is a release for folks who are already going to buy it, much like Betrayal at Calth.

I look forward to it. I personally think GW has been doing really nice things since Assassinorum (except price points, of course).

Space Hulk 4th: hit for me (didn't get a hold of 3E).

Assassinorum: very good game, not worth the price point, but a very good game that I've had some good fun with. Underrated.

Age of Sigmar: Hated it at first, it has grown on me incredibly. Very simple rules (too simple for some, admittedly) that got my girlfriend into wargaming. I play WHFB with my buddies, but have had many super fun games of AoS. And the core rules were free.

Betrayal at Calth: FANTASTIC game. BaC is just fantastic fun, and I absolutely love it.

So I have high hopes for DW. It looks great like all GW games do, and they've had a good track record with me lately. I can justify buying it because my WHFB and 40K armies have been built for years and I don't actually spend much money on GW products besides paints. If I also had to maintain of build an army, the price would keep me away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Workshop is just huge - dramatically huge compared to companies like FFG. I mean, we are talking about a company that runs a weekly magazine dedicated entirely to its own product, and then publishes a monthly one as well!

They just don't need to build hype in the same way other companies do. There has been so much noise about Deathwatch, just this week, on all the wargame sites. And that noise is worldwide.

So there's that.

But also, there's the fact that everything Games Workshop does is under massive scrutiny. Everything it does is picked apart in minute detail, and every new release is an excuse for a vocal group to get all in a Tiswas about it.

And then maybe there is a somewhat cynical reason too... these products are expensive, and they want you to buy them all. Warn someone a month in advance that a very desirable product is coming out, and that person may save money for a month to get it. Keep them in the dark, and they spend on something else, then find out about the desirable product and buy that too.

Personally, I buy every Games Workshop boxed game that pops up, and each new release is more exciting to me than anything on Kickstarter - ever. Once I know about a game, I want it yesterday, so I have no objections to the company's methods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Supposedly this game comes out this weekend or early next week. What's the rationale for not getting the hype wagon up and rolling, long before the release? Or at least more than 7 days before the release?

it seems like a real missed opportunity to not get the word out. Wouldn't it be better for the game if lots of folks heard about it and were excited about picking it up? But coming from the boardgame world, with FFG and other big publishers getting the news out for new games months in advance, maybe I'm missing something.

Anyone from the tabletop world care to speculate?

I'm from OUR world, so can only speculate as to the murky motives of those tabletop types. It's a good question, and I don't know why they do what they do. I do know word gets out on the web, what with the leaks from notable anonymous, named sources with their drips-and-drabs slowly leaked espionage. That's actually a very effective method that makes us feel like privileged in-the-know insiders. It would take GW about 30 seconds to ferret out the sources of the leaks, if they tried. But, why try? It's VERY effective marketing. And, they don't have to sully their hands with the nastiness that is the Net.

On the brick-and-mortar side of things, the owner of my FLGS is a friend, and he doesn't follow the blogs. So, Net "insider" that I am, I sometimes alert him to upcoming releases. But, his needs are adequately served by his GW rep. Apparently hype and advanced notice are not all that necessary. Why should GW pay to advertise products we don't know we already eagerly anticipate. Apple kind of tells you when the I-phone 6.34278B is available. They don't need to tell you there will be a I-phone 6.34278C. Or, that you WILL buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creepy horrocks
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe its because their boxed games are really just miniature sets with some overproduced components thrown in to make it seem like its really a boardgame. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you mean like almost everything that comes off the Kickstarter game mill now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CreepyW3irdo wrote:
overproduced components

My cat went tinkle on a Calth board. Cleaned up right nice, no damage or lasting smell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's always been GW's style to distance themselves from normal retail practice. They don't advertise, outside of their own publications, they don't do special offers, or sell their stuff in mainstream shops, and they have no interest in what the market thinks of them.
They tend to do fairly short production runs of things like this game, so they can usually count on selling all the copies anyway. A habit that I believe dates back to a massive production of Gorkamorka, which nearly bankrupt the company when it flopped badly.
Being cynical, I could also add that they do rely on impulse buying to a great extent. If the craving isn't satisfied fairly quickly, people will come to their senses and realise that this product doesn't make much sense. You are paying £100 for 50 miniatures, and a mediocre game. These days, very few people will actually paint up more than a fraction of those gorgeous minis. And if you're buying it for the game, I don't need to point out on here how many better ways there are of spending £100

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:
And if you're buying it for the game, I don't need to point out on here how many better ways there are of spending £100

I preordered for £80. The only thing I could find that was a better way of spending that much money was an electricity bill.

And if my house was on fire, these are the 10 things I would rescue (in no particular order):

Assassinorum
Space Hulk
Betrayal at Calth
Claustrophobia
Super Dungeon Explore
Fireteam Zero
Lords of Waterdeep
Tash Kalar
My Anima Tactics collection
My LotR TMG collection

I would miss my wife dearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

I preordered for £80.

Wow - where did you see that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Assassinorum
Space Hulk
Betrayal at Calth
Claustrophobia
Super Dungeon Explore
Fireteam Zero
Lords of Waterdeep
Tash Kalar
My LotR TMG collection

This is a really strange collection you're saving. Very casual, but then Tash Kalar is a bit of a brain-burner (and probably the truest strategy game in the lot). Why, god, why are the GW games in there? Besides you probably paid more for them than any other boardgame, or most Kickstarter sweet-spot pledges? You could be playing Galaxy Defenders, or Imperial Assault Skirmish, or ...

Basically, I feel like these new GW games are catering heavily to the young teen demographic, something parents could introduce their kids to wargames with. Smart call and absolutely beautiful components, but I really wish they'd release the "real" game as a PDF or something. Space Hulk held my attention for a long time, but there's definitely an optimal way to travel and HOW to travel in these new editions. They need to put out a redux of 1E with all the point values and other interesting things.

Or better yet, Legions of Steel needs to rerelease, without the goofy graphics, so people experience a much more tense "Hulk" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Assassinorum
Space Hulk
Betrayal at Calth
Claustrophobia
Super Dungeon Explore
Fireteam Zero
Lords of Waterdeep
Tash Kalar
My LotR TMG collection

This is a really strange collection you're saving. Very casual, but then Tash Kalar is a bit of a brain-burner (and probably the truest strategy game in the lot). Why, god, why are the GW games in there? Besides you probably paid more for them than any other boardgame, or most Kickstarter sweet-spot pledges? You could be playing Galaxy Defenders, or Imperial Assault Skirmish, or ...

Basically, I feel like these new GW games are catering heavily to the young teen demographic, something parents could introduce their kids to wargames with. Smart call and absolutely beautiful components, but I really wish they'd release the "real" game as a PDF or something. Space Hulk held my attention for a long time, but there's definitely an optimal way to travel and HOW to travel in these new editions. They need to put out a redux of 1E with all the point values and other interesting things.

Or better yet, Legions of Steel needs to rerelease, without the goofy graphics, so people experience a much more tense "Hulk" game.

Strange to you, maybe.

It's the list of the games I own that bring me the most joy. Isn't that what a hobby is supposed to be about?

Of course, after I posted it, I realised there was a serious omission. Don't know how I forgot, because it is one of the best games ever made, and the game I play solo more than anything else - Vlaada's Mage Knight. I guess it would probably replace Betrayal at Calth for now, but only because I still don't have the miniatures for that game, so it's something I intend to buy again anyway

As for the cost - none of those GW games cost me more than £75, including postage. And then I got them within a week. I can't say the same for most Kickstarter pledges.

Oh, and for the record, I am a middle-aged family man, not a young teen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoW wouldn't make my throw it out the window quick list, mostly as it's readily available and easy to replace. OOP games like SW: Queen's Gambit, my Resident Evil DBG near-complete collection and maybe even BaC (due to all the bloody work I've put into it) would see first tosses. Luckily there's a decent amount of snow on the ground to cushion the landing whistle .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
LoW wouldn't make my throw it out the window quick list, mostly as it's readily available and easy to replace. OOP games like SW: Queen's Gambit, my Resident Evil DBG near-complete collection and maybe even BaC (due to all the bloody work I've put into it) would see first tosses. Luckily there's a decent amount of snow on the ground to cushion the landing whistle .

To confirm, this list is a list of the games I enjoy the most, and spend the most time with - you know, the ones that always clog up the game night schedule. It's not related specifically to how much they cost or how rare they are. I have out of production games that people would probably expect to take priority in a genuine blaze.

And then there is my wife to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, I mean, i know everyone has different styles. Not everyone wants what I do, and lord knows I can't tolerate Munchkin or other such business. But since my shelf turned into four racks I've turned into an elitist monster.

What brings you joy is definitely most important, and that's usually based on the people you play with. I rate solo games highly, personally, since they're more independent. I would want to save Kingdom Death, Recon, and maybe a bag of Infinity figures, the UFS CCG collection despite no one plays it around here... new good memories, or just old memories hopeful for the future.

If i had a kid maybe 8 or so I'd be all about GW games. They're accessible and focused my imagination for years, and play fast, too.

Anyway, GW is all about profits, so as someone else said, they don't need to advertise. Everyone is rabid for info or else there wouldn't be the "my sources" rumor threads on Dakka and other sites. Free advertising and people will buy it just to see. Had I not gotten the game minus minis for 15USD via ebay, i probably would have bought Execution Force and been very disappointed, just because i was so hopeful for something great. I haven't gotten Calth yet but it looks pretty neat. Not on my to-save list great, but fun. Playing on my nostalgia with GSC is gonna get me on this one, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest annoyance about this policy, is their denial of the rumors that inevitably surface. But then a week later, surprise, new game. It's worse than a politician telling you they didn't hire a hooker with your tax dollars and then it turns out they did. Because that's illegal.

GW's not doing anything illegal (allegedly) so there's no need for them to lie about these things. But it's pretty disrespectful of their player base, and their stores - their own stores, mind you, not just the FLGSs - whom they either lie to, or instruct them to lie to us about this game that will be coming out rather soon.

The sprues in Betrayal at Calth are copyrighted 2014. This was not a surprise game they just threw together two weeks before they released it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt A
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GW has completely gone in the toilet as far as im concerned and that's all I got to say about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.