Jim McCollum
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I want to make a game that captures a battle of wits, a push and pull between two opponents, and want to avoid the theme of "magical duel" or political elections. Looking for something more on the serious side. Any ideas?

I thought of theming it after a fighting game like Street Fighter, which has the right feel, but punching and kicking is a little dumb.

My idea right now has Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty trying to out-fox each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Spy vs spy, rival scientists or engineers, mafia/gang turf wars, rival hit men, assassin vs target, bounty hunter vs bounty, or LEO vs criminal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A few thoughts...

- TV stations fighting over audience ratings.
- A legal case with both sides trying to win over the jury.
- A disease versus a team trying to eradicate it.
- Two departments of a big corporation (or a government, or other public sector organisation) trying to secure funding.
- Holiday tour operators vying to dominate the tourist market on a tropical island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Network admin vs Cybercriminal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosquitos vs. farmers trying to clear the jungle and fill in the wetlands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zakimos Kleidos
Italy
flag msg tools
polyobsessive wrote:

A few thoughts...

I second this. The world is still waiting for a good Phoenix Wright boardgame (I'm not joking, I for one surely would love it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastiaan Reinink
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mb
-A game simulating a real tug-of-war
-Any martial arts
-Battleships trying to destroy each other
-Parents vs. kids (toys vs. going to bed)
-Two players playing a board game (ok, I'll stop now...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iocane powder all the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-2 business moguls in the same industry fighting to be the top.
-Hide and go seek (any type of manhunt)
-Cops and Robbers
-2 inventors that are competing for the last spot at the worlds fair
-Gold Rush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Divorce settlement. Or separated parents competing for the affections of their children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan McHugh
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
PandoraCaitiff wrote:
Divorce settlement. Or separated parents competing for the affections of their children.

And the most depressing game award goes to . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buenaventura wrote:
PandoraCaitiff wrote:

And the most depressing game award goes to . . .

I can go worse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Armstrong
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BastiaanSquared wrote:
-Two players playing a board game

This was actually my first thought: a GM vs a MinMax player arguing over the rules for the RPG they are playing. The game would actually be a metagame about the RPG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Devine
United States
Reno
NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakimos wrote:
polyobsessive wrote:

A few thoughts...

I second this. The world is still waiting for a good Phoenix Wright boardgame (I'm not joking, I for one surely would love it).

I third this. I am hot off watching "Making a Murder" and currently watching Better Call Saul and The Grinder. A well made law game could be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McCollum
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
3ddevine wrote:
Zakimos wrote:
polyobsessive wrote:

A few thoughts...

I third this. I am hot off watching "Making a Murder" and currently watching Better Call Saul and The Grinder. A well made law game could be awesome.

What is the most interesting part of this idea to you all? Let's say the game was like Magic, Dominion, or Seven Wonders, what would be represented on the cards? Help me see what excites you all about this theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmymacattack wrote:
3ddevine wrote:
Zakimos wrote:
polyobsessive wrote:

A few thoughts...

What is the most interesting part of this idea to you all? Let's say the game was like Magic, Dominion, or Seven Wonders, what would be represented on the cards? Help me see what excites you all about this theme!

Player A plays a card that enters an exhibit into evidence. Player B counters with an objection that matches something about that exhibit. Then they draw a card from a third deck that represents the Judge to see if the objection was overruled or sustained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
Player A plays a card that enters an exhibit into evidence. Player B counters with an objection that matches something about that exhibit. Then they draw a card from a third deck that represents the Judge to see if the objection was overruled or sustained.

Is there a mechanism to influence the Judge's decision, or is it completely random?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwarrend wrote:
Iocane powder all the way!

That was my first thought as well.

The legal game sounds interesting, where two attorneys are trying to influence the outcome of a case.

Hostage taker vs. hostage negotiator

Serial killer dropping clues as to his next victims, that the cop has to figure out before the killer plays the "I killed someone else" card. The morbid goal would be to kill as many as you can before getting caught. To make it a little more family-friendly, it could be a "gentleman thief" instead, dropping hints about his next robbery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jimmymacattack wrote:
I want to make a game that captures a battle of wits, a push and pull between two opponents, and want to avoid the theme of "magical duel" or political elections. Looking for something more on the serious side. Any ideas?

I thought of theming it after a fighting game like Street Fighter, which has the right feel, but punching and kicking is a little dumb.

My idea right now has Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty trying to out-fox each other.

Sounds like a good grappling competition to me. Jiu-jitsu, wrestling, or judo, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
jbrecken wrote:

Is there a mechanism to influence the Judge's decision, or is it completely random?

I suppose there could be some sort of numbers on the cards comparing the quality of the evidence to the strength of the objection and the judge card could have a range of values that he allows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.