Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think we've seen it yet, but it's gone up on eBay already:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

You can just about make out the card text... Some very high cost/discard upgrades...

Interesting I note the Doomsday device scenario token's front arc overlaps the sides of the token by a few MM.... So maybe this will allow some firing at an oblique angle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
Yep, the angle of the front arc seems weird. It looks like as if the cone would point slightly to the right. Could be an optical illusion though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, so they "fired" me in favor of this. That's wizkids for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:

Would you care to elaborate on that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no longer the preview guy. WK decided to go with startrek.com for the previews. Looks like startrek.com dropped the ball on timing, or WK did. So now we get a spoiler from eBay instead of having some form of community relation from the company to the players. It's a disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
Apparently WK decided to go with eBay for the previews instead of startrek.com and instead of David. But they should at least have provided better quality images
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:
I'm no longer the preview guy. WK decided to go with startrek.com for the previews. Looks like startrek.com dropped the ball on timing, or WK did. So now we get a spoiler from eBay instead of having some form of community relation from the company to the players. It's a disappointment.

Sorry to hear that. With the new show coming it could have been a decision by CBS/Paramount to promote the site. There have been a lot of changes over on Startrek.com in the past few months. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they were leaning on their license holders a bit for exclusive content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To be frank, Ebay has always kind of had a leg up on previews- there have often been individuals or, I guess, stores who have posted the prize packs as soon as they arrived to them by mail and these have frequently been before a particular OP run has officially begun. So, it's not too surprising to see this up there.

Although given that the current prize packs are now only cards and not with a model it seems rather ridiculous that the seller is looking for 45 dollars for it. Without a model I would have expected prize packs to sell for less now.

But that aside- we can at least discuss the pack.

I like the Automated Distress Beacon, it feels like a good cost for what it does.

The Auxiliary Control Room and Damage Control parties, on the other hand, feel just a little too expensive at 5 points. At 4 I would consider them and would think they better costed at 3.

I like the Constellation's ability and Decker is fun too- he would be great in a fleet with generic captained ship. Wondering if this one too is an Admiral and Captain though.

Overall, some fun ideas in this pack I think though many of the things feel a little pricey for regular use. Which is totally fine because it means it can be fun to win one of these but I won't feel like I'm missing out on anything if I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross Posting from the FB group

I now give you the Ting Gambit. Named after Matthew Ting.
Take 3 Automated Distress Beacons on 3 Skill 1 captain ships, use them to target the same ship to do a 2 turn, 2 turn, and finally a 2 straight. Guess what? That ship is now off the board on turn 1.
WK, I think you goofed when you didn't either make this card unique, or make it only able to target friendly ships.

This of course assumes that Automated Distress Beacons lets you, the person performing the action, pick the maneuver. WK will likely NERF it, but this is a bigger problem than original Lure, and infinite Tactical Stations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this is easily mitigated by considering the flat function of the thing described- a Distress Beacon is intended to bring ships towards it not send ships away. If I was TOing I would say- you can't use this to fly an opposing ship off the board because that's the opposite of what a distress beacon intends.

Now if it were a Warning Beacon- maybe then there are possibilities to push ships away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call it a nerf if you like, but I kind of took it as a given that the player who is granted a maneuver gets to choose which maneuver to perform (unless the effect specifies otherwise). I'd say that on Facebook, but I don't want to deal with 30 posts of Tucker accusing me of intentionally misreading the rules for personal gain shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
msg tools
If those of you who can make out the text can write it up for those of us who can't, that'd be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, they never even picked some of us to do reviews

I think they cycle through the people that they let do them pretty quickly anyway. I see Teri doesn't even do them anymore either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a pretty high noise to signal ratio in the pack. Most of the stuff there is either meh or too expensive but there are a few things that might be worth taking.

Once again I think Commodore Decker has been short-sheeted a bit here. It's not an awful talent, but obviously they don't like him much. The thing is it's thematic (which is good) for the Decker we saw in the Doomsday Machine episode. BUT we're not really playing THAT Decker right? That Decker is dead. What we're playing is the man he was prior to the episode -- the one who is presumably calmer and more thoughtful and doesn't have PTSD. THAT Decker doesn't have a card in the game yet.

It's like if the only Riker card we had was crazy beard Riker. Sure that card would be fun maybe, but it wouldn't be representative of the Riker we know. That Riker has been driven mad -- as Decker was.

Yes it's a pity they didn't let David review it on Shipyard. It's their loss and ours too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Weidlich
msg tools
mbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:

Take 3 Automated Distress Beacons on 3 Skill 1 captain ships, use them to target the same ship to do a 2 turn, 2 turn, and finally a 2 straight. Guess what? That ship is now off the board on turn 1.
WK, I think you goofed when you didn't either make this card unique, or make it only able to target friendly ships.

This of course assumes that Automated Distress Beacons lets you, the person performing the action, pick the maneuver. WK will likely NERF it, but this is a bigger problem than original Lure, and infinite Tactical Stations.

You could in theory take 7 of those Automated Distress Beacons with the Romulan Science Vessels. Just fly your opponents fleet off the table before they get 1 action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:

Doh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:

WORF errata'd the text on Automated Distress Beacon so that you can only use it on your ships.

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10091
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gallagher
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interestingly, WORF's ruling says Automated Distress Beacon is "missing words in its game text".

This suggests to me that this isn't WORF making something up/relying on personal judgment, but rather actually talking to the card's designer(s) to get the correct ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tiballagher wrote:
Interestingly, WORF's ruling says Automated Distress Beacon is "missing words in its game text".

This suggests to me that this isn't WORF making something up/relying on personal judgment, but rather actually talking to the card's designer(s) to get the correct ruling.
It also doesn't seem to be in response to a question put in by a user. That makes me think that WORF/WK is actively looking at BGG and/or FB and putting in clarifications for issues/loopholes that come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
In spite of myself, I'm going to add in a comment in Wizkids defense. They have what, 1-2 people making cards and what is probably a very finite supply of beta testers. Tossing the expansion out into the world suddenly adds thousands of sets of eyes on the card. So it is realistic to expect some mistakes to get through that get caught by us fairly quickly. Not at the rate they do, but some. So WORF doing exactly that is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
Church14 wrote:
In spite of myself, I'm going to add in a comment in Wizkids defense. They have what, 1-2 people making cards and what is probably a very finite supply of beta testers. Tossing the expansion out into the world suddenly adds thousands of sets of eyes on the card. So it is realistic to expect some mistakes to get through that get caught by us fairly quickly. Not at the rate they do, but some. So WORF doing exactly that is a good idea.

To be honest that's why more play testers, and readers is always helpful. To be honest the person designing the cards and a few deeply involved people will look at something and since they already KNOW what they are looking for or expect they can see it there already, even though it isn't. Fresh set of eyes is always a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:

Yes, but is secrecy really that important? If not, an examination period where ALL the cards and base were displayed with good photographs, they could take comments for a couple of weeks and catch any errors before they become a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert, but there's gotta be a reason why no company on earth does things that way.

One possible reason is that it's basically like an anti-preview. They post announcements on startrek.com to stir up interest a week or two before release. "Hey guys, it's time for the ships that we showed you proofs of three months ago" seems like it would have the exact opposite effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
I'm no expert, but there's gotta be a reason why no company on earth does things that way.

One possible reason is that it's basically like an anti-preview. They post announcements on startrek.com to stir up interest a week or two before release. "Hey guys, it's time for the ships that we showed you proofs of three months ago" seems like it would have the exact opposite effect.

They're not mutually exclusive. They could do their preview 3 weeks before putting them out and use a week of comments to fix the errors and then print. It doesn't have to be months. Anyone out there know what the actual lead time is between final to the printer and getting the printing done?

And even if there did have to be a longer delay, wouldn't you rather good thought out, useful cards than bad cards faster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
carbon_dragon wrote:
kobold47 wrote:

They're not mutually exclusive. They could do their preview 3 weeks before putting them out and use a week of comments to fix the errors and then print. It doesn't have to be months. Anyone out there know what the actual lead time is between final to the printer and getting the printing done?

And even if there did have to be a longer delay, wouldn't you rather good thought out, useful cards than bad cards faster?

Even today I think the lead time (especially since everything comes from China) is still like months 6+ so that i think is were you end up with what Evan said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |