Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Lame Duck: an official (especially the president) in the final period of office, after the election of a successor.

I keep seeing this used incorrectly. Obama is not a "lame duck" until after the November election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Lame Duck: an official (especially the president) in the final period of office, after the election of a successor.

I keep seeing this used incorrectly. Obama is not a "lame duck" until after the November election.

Fine, then he is a Fucked Duck as finally MAYBE republicans will stand up against him after seeing what he will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean before seeing what he will do, since they are talking the bat and ball home before the game even starts as no nomination has been made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
You mean before seeing what he will do, since they are talking the bat and ball home before the game even starts as no nomination has been made.

Yeah, I am sure that history provides no indication as to what Obamas intentions are.
So yeah, just ignore the last 7 years. Maybe he turned into a republican yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the ultimate hypocrisy to tell a standing president, who will be in office for another 10 months, and another 2 as a "lame duck", that he should wait for his successor to enter office so that they may nominate the next Supreme Court Justice. Nominating a Supreme Court Justice is the responsibility of the president, and as far as our laws go, he is the President for a bit longer still. This is obviously a clear case of sour grapes, the Republicans just a bit pissed off, and frustrated, that Scalia happened to die on the other party's watch. If a Republican were president, let's face it, they'd be screaming that a nomination should be brought forth tomorrow. But the front may crack, there are already a few Senators on the red side that seem to be amenable to the proper route, let Obama do his job, and make his nomination. There is no guarantee that his recommendation would fly, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Yeah, I am sure that history provides no indication as to what Obamas intentions are.
So yeah, just ignore the last 7 years. Maybe he turned into a republican yesterday.
So if they have not stood up to him in the last 7 years why now when it makes no difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
jmilum wrote:

And the Bush intentions weren't clear when he nominated John Roberts?? The trend since the 80's has been to nominate a judge that the current party in power favors, of course they claim that they are not nominating a judge that practices "legislation from the bench", or judicial activism, but there has been no justice selected for decades that bucks the trend or party line. You know this. Why do the Repubs get hot under the collar because Obama has a choice to make, that is the way it's played since Day 1. Why do you want to change the rules of the game now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No President has been obstructed more than Obama. And he still released fewer executive orders on average than any President in recent memory.

When it's Trump or Hillary you people will remember how good we once had it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

No President has been obstructed more than Obama. And he still released fewer executive order than any President in recent memory.

When it's Donny it will be an executive order once a day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
No President has been obstructed more than Obama. And he still released fewer executive orders on average than any President in recent memory.

To be fair, he's been issuing a lot of executive memoranda which are almost the same thing. The distinction is fuzzy (I don't think the law specifically defines the difference), but they both carry the force of law. When you combine the two he's near the top.

But yeah, I'd take him over Trump or Hillary any day.

Edit: To add link (warning - auto-play video)

Obama issues 'executive orders by another name'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Technically correct (the best kind really).

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
It is the ultimate hypocrisy to tell a standing president, who will be in office for another 10 months, and another 2 as a "lame duck", that he should wait for his successor to enter office so that they may nominate the next Supreme Court Justice. Nominating a Supreme Court Justice is the responsibility of the president, and as far as our laws go, he is the President for a bit longer still. This is obviously a clear case of sour grapes, the Republicans just a bit pissed off, and frustrated, that Scalia happened to die on the other party's watch. If a Republican were president, let's face it, they'd be screaming that a nomination should be brought forth tomorrow. But the front may crack, there are already a few Senators on the red side that seem to be amenable to the proper route, let Obama do his job, and make his nomination. There is no guarantee that his recommendation would fly, anyway.

Were you as passionate about it when Biden did it in 1992?

Obama in 2002?

Schumer in 2003?

Probably not.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Technically correct (the best kind really).

Ferret

actually, it's absolutely correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I just had a happy thought about all this. What McConnell is basically saying is that he doesn't expect there to be a Republican in the White House any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.