Mike S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
(This post is mirrored here.)

Results of my last game (4-player):

winner: 165 points
...buildings, in purchase order: Bathhouse, Hayrick, Cellar, Winery, Herb Garden
...development position: 4-on-the-dot
...trading posts + citizens: 5+2

Runner-up: 160 points
...buildings, in purchase order: Wool Manufacturer, Laboratory, Gunpowder Tower, ???
...development position: maxed out
...trading posts + citizens: a LOT.

I was the last player in the first round. I took gears rapidly, acquiring five before they ran out, and they ended up on, in order, the university (farmer), village (boatman), monastery (scholar), castle (boatman), cellar (monk)

Game play impressions:

1. There were many turns in which I had a single farmer left after allocating the rest. The unsung Hayrick proved invaluable here. (I had the wheat exhausted at two different points, but the harvests came late in this game, so no one was ever in danger of being caught with their pants down.)

2. The Cellar is a beast with a gear covering up the monk spot (so you'd need a monk or a scholar rather than both). Unlike the Office or Hospital, you can start slamming $4 right away, and unlike a higher-grade goods building, you needn't worry about them running out.

3. I don't normally take boatman, but this particular game featured a nice string of brocades laying along a water route. Having gears covering up my boatman spots worked out nicely, as they were freed up for Herb Garden redirection.

4. In my opinion, 4 is the "sweet spot" on the development track. It takes a lot of effort to get up to five and beyond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moesjiff
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write-up. I'm loving this game and really need to learn how to leverage the buildings better, but I noticed that you put a tech tile on a monk. That's not allowed according to the rules.

On page 16 of the DLP rules it says this:
Quote:
Constraints:
- The first Technology Tile you place in a game must replace a Farmer.
- Subsequent Technology Tiles may replace any Character Tile except Monks.
- Monks can never be replaced with Technology Tiles.

- You may not place more than 1 Technology Tile at one Place.
- You may not place a Technology Tile at a Place that only requires a single Character Tile.
- You may not move a Technology Tile after you placed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bannoran wrote:
just keep taking cogs nothing else matters
Well I wouldn't go that far.

This is very deep, very complex game. You have to mix it up, and be prepared to delay strategies if necessary for a turn's worth of throwing a sabot into someone else's steamroller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
mike18xx wrote:
2. The Cellar is a beast with a gear covering up the monk spot (so you'd need a monk or a scholar rather than both). Unlike the Office or Hospital, you can start slamming $4 right away, and unlike a higher-grade goods building, you needn't worry about them running out.
Boardgamejeff wrote:
Great write-up. I'm loving this game and really need to learn how to leverage the buildings better, but I noticed that you put a tech tile on a monk. That's not allowed according to the rules.

Quote:
Constraints:

- You may not place a Technology Tile at a Place that only requires a single Character Tile.
I suspect Mike made a gaffe there and truly meant to say he used the Tech Tile to cover the Scholar spot on the Cellar instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jebbie wrote:
mike18xx wrote:
Boardgamejeff wrote:

Quote:
Constraints:

I suspect Mike made a gaffe there and truly meant to say he used the Tech Tile to cover the Scholar spot on the Cellar instead.

You are correct, I had the Office and Cellar confused and assumed based on the language that there was a monk requirement. That being so you would have to wrongly add the gear top the monk for the sentence about using a monk or scholar to make sense. Or you mistook the rules for school.

However none of this happened as Office is two scholars so one can be covered and allow you to use the second with a monk or a scholar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mike18xx wrote:
The unsung Hayrick proved invaluable here. (I had the wheat exhausted at two different points, but the harvests came late in this game, so no one was ever in danger of being caught with their pants down.)

Apart from the rules mistake you did with the wheel on cellars's monk spot, why the heck do you think the hayrick has proved invaluable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
actaion wrote:
why the heck do you think the hayrick has proved invaluable?
My strategy this game involved farming and collecting goods as well as money. I knew I'd have a bag full of farmers, and wanted a building to utilize the spill-over -- but without needing two workers.

I collected at least ten wheat, which was more than the margin of victory in that game after taxes.

The Hayrick doesn't generate a lot of points, but they're reliable points.

(Note also that if you have the Depot, you may find yourself needing lowly wheat at some point to balance out sets.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.