Rob Veenenberg
Netherlands
Vinkeveen
flag msg tools
5.35 Other Movement Restrictions:

c).Only one unit may cross each river boundary (whether the
bridge is blown or not) into a contested area each Movement Phase. There is no limit on the number of units crossing
a river boundary into uncontested areas, even if leaving a
contested area.
Question: must this not be ".... OR enemy occupied area, instead of only "a contested area"?? Don't understand this rule because it could be read as that it only restricts units which want to join an already contested area with 1 friendly unit present, while also entering an enemy occupied area is meant.

d.A unit that attempts to cross a River boundary into a newly
contested area
triggers an opportunity for the opposing
side to attempt to blow that bridge. This attempt is optional,
and succeeds on a 1-5. If the bridge is blown, the unit that
triggered the attempt may still cross the river if it began the
Phase adjacent to the targeted area. If the unit does not or
cannot cross, it does not pay the movement cost for the area
it was to have entered. It instead loses one movement point,
but may continue moving.
Question: must this not be "...OR enemy occupied area, instead of a newly contested area?? When a second unit attempts to cross a river from another area into the same enemy occupied area, then the area is Newly contested. May the enemy unit then again try to blow a bridge over the river for the 2nd unit moving in?

PS. If you look at these rules they can be explained differently and look ambiguous to me.

Also rule 4.21 has a strange content "(no units or events)", where I expected to read: "eliminated units or events" which are returned to the Cup by using any ONE event (not being a Delayed Response)

Please how to interpret these not so clear rules??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Levinski
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The lands around my dwelling are more beautiful from the day when it is given to me to see faces I have never seen before. All is more beautiful, all is more beautiful and life is thankfulness. These guests of mine make my house grand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding 4.21
If I understand the question correctly...maybe because it is referring to the eliminated units box so saying eliminated units would be redundant?
Note that large eliminated units do not go into the box, they go on the large units eliminated track.

Regarding 5.35c
In the updated series rule book for Sicily it is worded "...an enemy occupied area..."

Regarding 5.35d
If you look at "2.4 AREAS" it defines contested / uncontested etc.
"Newly contested" is when units from both sides occupy an area and are still hidden.

Yes, the other bridge may be blown as the second unit attempts to cross if it is on the same turn ("newly contested"), not on subsequent turns.

If you haven't looked at the log of important changes in the Sicily rules you might want to check out gmt's website which has the updated series rules in pdf as the changes, while few, are important.

Hope this helps!
cheers- Rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Rich's answers. Regarding 4.21, there is no need to say "eliminated". That parenthesis is only there to clarify that assets and only assets may be brought back from the eliminated box with the alternate event use.

Here's the full text:
Living Rules wrote:
Either player may elect to use an event to move two assets (not units or other events) of the owning player’s choice from the Eliminated Box into the selection cup, rather than for its printed (17.0) purpose.

Let me rephrase it for you:

Each event may either be used for its printed purpose or to retrieve eliminated assets. In the latter case, the player may spend the event to move two assets of his choice from the Eliminated Box into the selection cup. This procedure may not be used to move units or events.

Is that clear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Veenenberg
Netherlands
Vinkeveen
flag msg tools
Rules 5.34 C & D should be written as follows:

- When during a movement phase a unit of a player enters an enemy occupied area (unit(s/garrison/engineer)by crossing a river boundary, creating a new contested area, the enemy player may try to blow the bridge on that particular river boundary which is intended to be crossed.This is also valid if another friendly unit tries to enter the same newly contested area over another river boundary during the same movement phase.
- On subsequent movement phases however, if friendly units enter (or leave) a contested area, the original defender may NOT try to blow still intact bridges. This can be the phase of moving units in reserve or units which may perform exploitation movement.
- Note that only 2 friendly units may be present in one area and only 1 unit may enter OR leave an enemy occupied area by the same river boundary during a movement phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Levinski
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The lands around my dwelling are more beautiful from the day when it is given to me to see faces I have never seen before. All is more beautiful, all is more beautiful and life is thankfulness. These guests of mine make my house grand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the term "friendly" in 5.34d might be a problem for clarity (friendly to whom?) but for the most part I think your wording would be fine.
cheers!- Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.