BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations on co op deck building games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Coulter
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
Hi everyone I'm new here and I'm looking for some recommendations on good co op deck builders. Here's what I'm looking for.
I recently played legendary encounters and I was Very impressed! Not so much with marvel legendary as I want a true co op with individual player characters(I hope I clarified that) I have also played sentinels of the multiverse and was happy too.( even though it's a bit more advanced)
Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no laws on ceres.... just cops.
badge
what can change the nature of a man?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to recommend Legendary Encounters, but since you've already tried and enjoyed that...

You may enjoy XenoShyft: Onslaught, which has each player building a deck / row of troops to defend against alien waves.

Alternatively, Rune Age (plus the excellent expansion Rune Age: Oath and Anvil) have a couple cooperative scenarios. Each player plays as a unique race that has access to unique cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like word games, Paperback is a deckbuilder that can be played either co-op or competitively.

Or, if you're interested in building your deck before the game and then seeing how well it works (really, deck construction is probably a better term), you could look at The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is purely co-op with individual characters and their own decks. Has some neat mechanics to distinguish itself, and has a campaign with character progression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrun: Crossfire

Deckbuilder - check
True co-op - check
Individual player characters - check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Book of Madness is very good, and does have individual characters.

Or to the more RPG-ish style Mistfall would also fit your requirements nicely. A bit more complicated, though.

+1 Shadowrun: Crossfire, especially if you want characters that keep "growing" over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In July 2016, Shadowrift version 2 should hit retail stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it does not have to be a deckbuilder... Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game is pretty fun!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
A huge +1 for XenoShyft: Onslaught. The thing I like most about it is it is among the "most" cooperative of the coop games I have played in that the players literally have to play things for each other and in each others lanes to win. You have to work together very hard to defend the base. It does not matter if you do great and defend your lane and the base takes no damage if your buddy to your left could not afford to buy enough equipment and did not draw up enough soldiers to put up a good defense and takes 8 points of damage on his turn. It gives some of your decisions a lot more weight: you are the medical bay and have a discount on med packs and have three in your hand. You use two to heal up some of your marines on your turn. The last fight in your wave, you can use your last med pack to prevent any damage from getting through, but you still have three players fighting their lanes after you. Maybe it would be best to save the last one because one of the other players is a little short on equipment, so you decide to eat 1 or 2 points of damage to the base in hopes of preventing taking a lot more if the aliens chew through his lane and have a lot of left over offense. The instants you can play, the way you can use your special abilities to help others - it is just a great and super cooperative game. Other games I have played, sure, we were on the same team and working to win or lose together, but this game truly gives you the feel that you are on the battlefield fighting together to fight off the swarming bug-like enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is purely co-op with individual characters and their own decks.
I don't consider this a deckbuilder. Also, it's a borefest.

+1 for Shadowrun: Crossfire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
CasualSax wrote:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is purely co-op with individual characters and their own decks.

Exactly that!

Also:

+1 for Rune Age (+expansion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Gabriele
Italy
Salerno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Shadowrun: Crossfire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 The Big Book of Madness really great coop deckbuilder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
CasualSax wrote:

That's interesting. The game is certainly not another dominion variant, but I have a hard time not classifying it as a deck builder. Depending on how you classify the mechanic, it could go either way. Your point is certainly valid, even though I strongly disagree.

The game starts with selecting cards for your character that make up your deck, and then at the end of the game you use the cards you earned during the game to upgrade your deck. If you play with premade characters, and don't play through multiple sessions, I can see overlooking the deck building component. But then you're also cutting out what makes Pathfinder incredible.

As for it being boring, I enjoyed it greatly with two, but played it with four the first time and the game dragged significantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
In July 2016, Shadowrift version 2 should hit retail stores.

Might even be sooner! But this is the one I was going to say and Shadowrun. Xenoshyft is pretty good

Aeon's End is a coop deck builder with a kickstarter probably launching next month from Action phase games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Baumgarten
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 The Big Book of Madness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VENOM Assault is currently on kickstarter. Might be if interest to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
VENOM Assault is currently on kickstarter. Might be if interest to you.

I knew I was forgetting something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.