Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On the surface ) this seems very similar to summoner wars, is summoner wars still going to exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope so, because Ashes isn't nearly as much fun for me as Summoner Wars. I'm really glad Ashes is doing well, but man, was it a let down for me. The two games have nothing in common as far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from theme (dueling mages card game) and distribution method (complete set in box, expansions that are playable as decks out of the box) Summoner Wars and Ashes are very different products. From a gameplay standpoint, there's virtually no overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can say it's being worked on, so there is content still to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're two pretty different games. SW is more of a tactical miniatures game using cards, while Ashes is more their attempt at an LCG style game.

That being said, given all the content there already is for SW, if they stopped making anything for it today, I'd still feel like I had years of replay value in what there is (granted I don't play frequently enough to have played out all the factions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be shocked if they discontinued all production of SW.

I think the main reason for any overlap of Ashes and SW players are we just like to play games. Theres room for both.

- Tomaisin
"I'm all dat and a bag o chips."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and they do not overlap since they are both different games that scratches different itches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is its own thing. I think Ashes impacts very little. OTOH, SW is running its own cycle. It is a highly successful game that carried PHG on its back for many years until it got some help from Mice and Mystics. The second summoners appear to not have been as successful as hoped for but it seems that Alliances did quite alright. It makes you wonder if it is slowing down in which case it is great that PHG has other products full Of steam with Ashes being one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
They are, to me, almost completely different games. Summoner Wars is a very good game that doesn't really do it for me, and Ashes I bought on a lark but is already in my trade cupboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
I can say it's being worked on, so there is content still to come.

But is it anything outside of the last of the Second Summoners? Colby seems all but done with designing, so it would have to come from within PHG. I think there is enough stuff out there. I just doubt much, if anything, will be added after the Second Summoners are done. The Alliance set even taps out on everything SW being sleeved so I doubt they want to add to it.

I like both a lot, but they have their own feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Summoner Wars market is pretty saturated. I'm at the point where I don't think I'd really invest much more in it. There's already way more than enough there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.