Popular Tags: [View All]
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I host a tabletop gaming club at the local library. I try to match the summer reading program's theme with gaming themes while its going on. THis year's theme is basically STEM and doing stuff, so why not have them make their own games?
Early on we received a nice donation of a box of blank components from The Game Crafters. So far I'm thinking of maybe dividing so many blank card/chits/other components into little baggies and each person can grab 3-5 bags to make their game. Either that or just put a random assortment in each box (I have a lot of little soap boxes that I use for shipping and others) and they have to make a game from the pieces that they have.

What I'm really looking for is if anyone out there has done this already and maybe made printable handout I could give each participant?

So far I'm trying to wrap my head around how to give very brief instructions on one side and maybe a generic form on the other to help them brainstorm their idea. E.g. write down the ideas for their game before marking up chits and cards and maybe ruining it, a space to pick which mechanic they'd like to use, etc.

Any help, advice, suggestions welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Help with "make your own game day"
I seem to recall that Congress of Gamers has had "Iron Game Designer" contests.

Everyone gets a box with the same stuff in it (Dice, Pawns, Index Cards, Paper) and access to pens, scissors, etc.

The "Chairman" gives a required theme/mechanic/element or two and then everyone opens their boxes and starts. I think they got a few hours to create and the next day people got to play them to test them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See also:

Iron Game Designer Challenge

or any of the design contests for that matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try a Dvorak card system. It only requires a deck of cards which the gamers develop themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Battle for Biternia - Kerrick
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a number of these "Game Jams" happening around. Missed the one at MAGfest because I was busy running demos, but it sounds like basically what you're going for.

My suggestions, such as they are, would be to find a few basic tips and compile them into a handout. Mark Rosewater's "Ten Things Every Game Needs" is a good place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having posters around the room of different mechanics along with a blurb explaining it and some games that use it might also help teach that there is more out there than "roll and move", "trick tacking" and "set collection" out there (which seem to cover a majority of the main-stream titles people might know.

If this is part of a larger series of lessons about games, there have been some curricula developed that you might be able to search for through the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for future clarification, your title should read "how to make your own game" day.

When you write "how to make your own game day" it sounds like your teaching people how to host a game day at their own house.

What's the most important thing in grammar? Quotation, quotation, quotation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might contact Kaarin Engelmann, who ran the Iron Designer events at Congress of Gamers in the past. https://boardgamegeek.com/user/kengelma

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.