Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 504:591 [+] [View All]
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The World of Exploring Stock Companies on Journeys (591)

Spreadsheet

504 PBF #10: World 591 (Game Over) (previous game of this world)

Rules

2F-Spiele/Stronghold Games: Rules for "504"

Start of the Game

Each player gets:
• $150.

There are five stock companies:
• Green,
• Purple,
• White,
• Blue,
• Orange.

Every stock company gets:
• 14 residents (1 is on the player order cards),
• 15 settlements,
• 1 transport trolley starting with 3 movement points and 1 cargo hold,
• their share price token starting at the initial price of the shares.

The bank gets:
• 10 shares of each company (2 being the president share).

For ease of display, I will be locating the bank's shares with the companies' assets, as all shares are either owned by the bank or the players in this World.

Companies etablished in the first Share Round will be on the central City. In later rounds, a company can be extablished in any city that has a settlement of another company.

Playing the Game

The game takes place in alternating Share Rounds and Business Rounds until the game end condition is reached.

Share Rounds

In the Share Round, the turn order of players remains the same for the whole game, although the starting player token can move around.

Starting with the player with the starting player token, each player chooses one of the following actions in turn order:
Deal: Sell any number of shares and/or buy 1 share.
Pass: Wait and see what happens.
Quit: Take no further actions and remove the Pass option from other players. Also, the first player to Quit gets the strating player card for the next Share Round.

Players cannot both buy and sell the same color share in any one round.

The Share Round ends if all players Pass in succession or when all players Quit. In the case of all players Passing, the player who first passed takes the first player token for the next Share Round.

Buying the first share: The first player to buy a share in a company pays twice the fixed issue price. If this is done in the first round, the central city is the capital. In later rounds, any city that has a settlement can be chosen by the president. If, at any time, another player has majority ownership over a company, they immediately give 2 shares to the president and then take the president's share.

Buying a share: When buying a share, you pay the actual value of the share to the bank. You cannot buy a share in a company if you already own 5 shares in that company.

Selling shares: The player may sell any number of shares at the actual value to the bank. The actual value of all affected companies is decreased by $10 immediately after the sale. In the case the president sells shares and there are two tied opponents for new president, the one closest in turn order to the old president becomes the new president. You cannot sell the president's share unless somebody else has at least two shares in the company. There is no limit on how many shares the bank can have.

End of the Share Round: Once the Share Round ends, any companies that are 100% owned by players have their actual value raised by $10. In addition, the companies who had the most shares purchased in this round will have their share price increased by $10. In the case that two values end up the same, the order will be reversed at the new value.

Business Rounds

In business rounds, each president makes all choices for their company or companies as follows.

Phase 1: Company Order

The turn order is determined from high to low of actual value of the shares. In cases of ties, the token on top counts first.

Phase 3: Company turns

The president of each company, in the turn order determined in Phase 1, performs the following steps of Phase 3:

Phase 3C: Purchases

A company may purchase exactly 1 upgrade to its trolley from the following options:
• $30 - Movement point upgrade to the next step of 4, 5 or 7 MP.
• $40 - Cargo hold upgrade to two cargo holds.

Then the company may purchase residents at a cost of $10 each and place them in owned tiles. You can only double population (settlements+residents) in each tile, except for the capital. You must also ensure you do not exceed the stacking limit of the capital (9 of your residents) or the other tiles (7 of your residents).

Phase 3D: Residents

Residents can each take one of the following actions:
• Move to an unowned tile and turn into a settlement. If there were no other settlements there, increase income by $5 and gain 1 VP from the tile.
• Move to an owned tile and exhaust.
• Explore a single adjacent tile, gaining VP and increasing income (see below).
• Harvest a tile that has VP to gain 1VP from the tile.

Exploration

Set up a custom D6 in the following manner (page 18 of rules for more detail):

1: It has as many cities as the distance from the destination to the closest city via existing land tiles.
2: If it is not adjacent to water, it has as much water as the linear distance between the destination and the central city. Note that the linear distance is the number in the tile name.
3: Remaining results are filled in the following order: grassland, forest, field, mountain, desert.
4: If more results are needed, add results that are already present in the following order: city, water, grassland, forest, field, mountain, desert.

For example, if you build adjacent to a city and water, the roll is:
1custom6{grassland;forest;field;mountain;desert;grassland}
OR
1customw{2:grassland;1:forest;1:field;1:mountain;1:desert}

It is acceptable to just announce which values of a D6 you wish to assign and then roll a normal D6 too, if that's easier due to being on mobile.

No matter what tile was explored, the company gains 1 VP and income increases by $5. In addition, the following happens based on tile type:
• Water: The resident exhausts.
• City: The resident is removed. Four 1VP tokens are placed on the tile.
• Land: The resident is removed. Two 1VP tokens are placed on the tile.

There is no limit to the way the map can be created. The map image will be increased in size to compensate if necessary.

Phase 3E: Transport Trolley

The trolley may move up to its movement speed, picking up and placing exhausted residents along the way. If a resident is placed in an unowned tile, it settles the tile. If no other settlements were there, the company gains 1 VP from the tile and increases income by $5.

Mountains cost 2MP to move into while all other tiles (except water of course) cost 1MP. The trolley may move through unowned tiles, even when carrying residents.

Each cargo hold of the trolley can hold up to two residents. Residents left inside a trolley cannot take actions in the next turn.

Phase 3H: Income

Income for a company starts at $20 for the capital. It is increased permanently by $5 when exploring a new tile and when placing the first settlement on a tile.

The Income of the current is set aside here to be added to the assets during Phase 4 after Dividends are paid.

Phase 4: Dividends

This step occurs after all companies have completed Phase 3.

Dividends are always paid. Each share's owner gets $1 per full $20 of income the company has. The bank also gets $1 per full $20 of income for each of its shares. The company gets all remaining income, which will usually be about half the income (plus any remainder over $20).

The companies with the two highest incomes have their stock price raised by $10. The companies with the lowest income have their stock price lowered by $10. The net change in price will be performed for each company in original order from highest to lowest. This does mean that if all companies have equal income, any of those companies ith equal stock price will have their order reversed.

Game End

The game ends when there are 7 or fewer map tiles left unexplored at the end of a Business Round.

In addition to the VP they have scored, each company gains bonus VP based on where they placed:
• 1st: 5VP
• 2nd: 3VP
• 3rd: 2VP
• 4th: 1VP
• 5th: 0VP

In the case of a tie, the two positions are added together and halved, rounding up.

After VP of the companies are calculated, each share of each player provides VP equal to the final VP of that company. The player with the most VP wins.

There is no tie condition (shared victory).

Players

1. adambadura
2. Sophia
3. russ
4. Clipper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: World 591 (Starting)
Dar'st thou challenge the reigning empress of this world? I shall see thy companies driven to dust, and rejoice!

(in?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are in. Let's wait for Clipper and russ to confirm (or reject) and we will go.

Sadly I must warn you that likely I will not be able to make map updates at work time. I expect this will not be a big issue thou.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to sign up as alternate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm willing to give it a go, although I predict I'm going to lose horribly.

As you are planning to play the game yourself, I suggest you come up with a very firm rule for how to handle mistaken exploration rolls that can be applied so that you don't have to make judgement calls. This is one of the reasons why I don't play in the games I moderate; I don't want to have to come up with these.

The other main reason is to allow players to pre-program their moves, which clearly won't be able to happen here.

I'm certainly not trying to dissuade you from playing, just explaining the differences you'll encounter by doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points. As for preprogramming moves I would suggest sending them to next player instead. The next player will know them anyway when doing his move. And we will have to wait for him anyway. Unless a move is conditional (which would reveal otherwise hidden information) then hard luck, no preprogramming.

However I think in our last game we didn't use it that much so I don't think this will be a big loss.

As to bad rolls, could you remind your own steps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 504 PBF #12: World 963 (Starting)
There was a decent amount of pre-programming in the share rounds, and some of it was conditional, which I of course never revealed.

As for exploration rerolls, I haven't come up with a firm and true method yet. I had to make judgement calls in the previous run of the World where some cases didn't match my original specification.

I suppose a firm enough rule is that if the incorrect inputs could be turned into the correct inputs without much trouble, the roll could stay valid, and otherwise must be rerolled, but you also have to determine whether all future rolls throughout the turn are still valid in those cases...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 504 PBF #12: World 963 (Starting)
Thanks, I'm in!

BTW I see "Is there any interest in playing a game in world 591?" at the start of the original post, and "World 963" in the thread subject, so I am unsure which world is being proposed, but in any case, I'm in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 504 PBF #12: World 591 (In progress)
I'm leaning toward an approach, that if invalid move cannot be undone easily (because it would make further moves invalid or would lead to a different decision from other players) then it stays invalid.

What you think about it? Also I don't see how me not playing would help much regarding this problem.

---

As to pre-programmed moves then well, hard luck. If you have conditionals then you cannot pre-program them. Let's see how it will turn out.

---

Russ, I updated the title to match Clipper's style. And made a copy-paste mistake by doing so. I corrected the title to match the world 591.

---

Since I'm at work now I have no ability to do required game setup. I will do it from home, most likely within 10-12 hours.

Randomized order is:
(1) adambadura
(2) JemL
(3) russ
(4) Clipper

But since we already know how to play this world and it starts with shares we can proceed. Everyone has $150 starting cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will buy presidential Green for 2x$40, leaving me with $70 on hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll buy the president's share of Orange for 2x$20, leaving me with $110.

Russ up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll buy a share of Orange. (costs $20, leaves me with $130)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Orange for $20 ($130 remains)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buy Orange for $20 ($50 remains)

JemL is up!

I'm sorry I didn't updated as promised. But yesterday evening BoardGameGeek was unavailable to me. Not sure if it was just me or everyone but entire evening page didn't work at all. I will do the proper setup today.

In the mean time let's remember that 504 PBF #10: World 591 (Game Over) has everything written down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adambadura wrote:
I'm sorry I didn't updated as promised. But yesterday evening BoardGameGeek was unavailable to me. Not sure if it was just me or everyone but entire evening page didn't work at all.

It wasn't just you.
Site Downtime on Thursday 2/25 from 2pm - 4pm CST

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Orange for $20. I now have

$90, 3 Orange (P).

While you're preparing the map, please know that I strongly prefer "Sophia" to "JemL". I would change my username if I could, but it's not possible on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy my 2nd share share of orange for $20 and have $110 left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy 2nd Orange. $110 remains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buy Green, $10 remains

Sophia is up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spreadsheet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Green for $40.

I have: $50, 3 Orange(P), 1 Green

Russ is up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to keep more information in a spreadsheet. This should let me trace values otherwise hard to calculate online.

A bit of explanation:
(1) For shares green background means that share was bought by player this turn.
(2) Red will mean sold.
(3) Bold means president (but it is poorly visible - maybe I will switch to color).
(4) White background means manually updated value.
(5) Gray background means computed value.
(6) Black background is just description.

Problem with this approach is that for some reasons the image is not inserted large in the thread post. You have to click the image and then enlarge. So very well you could just open spreadsheet link. I have to rethink that.

Also I didn't prepare map yet. Clipper's materials didn't contain initial map image so I have to make it. And since I'm not good with GIMP it will take me some extra time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just add original to The image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spreadsheet

Russ is up!

Jack, thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.