Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.
Disclaimer: I have not played Fleet Commander. Ever.
Just wondering if a house rule that two sides can occupy the same space would work? Maybe up to the 5 point limit? Or up to 5 points for each side (10 points total in one space)? Make it easier for the attacker to hit - anything other than a special result hits. But the enemy gets a free return fire. Or something?
I really like the idea of a boarding craft dropping off marines and taking over an enemy ship but would like to see that ship be allowed to occupy the same space as the target enemy ship.
Just some more random thoughts while waiting.
The floor is now open for discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
WayCoolSuperDude wrote:
Hello.
Disclaimer: I have not played Fleet Commander. Ever.
Just wondering if a house rule that two sides can occupy the same space would work? Maybe up to the 5 point limit? Or up to 5 points for each side (10 points total in one space)? Make it easier for the attacker to hit - anything other than a special result hits. But the enemy gets a free return fire. Or something?
I really like the idea of a boarding craft dropping off marines and taking over an enemy ship but would like to see that ship be allowed to occupy the same space as the target enemy ship.
Just some more random thoughts while waiting.
The floor is now open for discussion.

Nope... wouldn't work.

Fact is, Fleet Commander is a game dedicated to it's unique dice system, where the direction of movement, shield protection and shooting are the heart of the system. By allowing units to stand on the same space, the core system of the game doesn't work anymore. No need for any directions for shooting and shields. The game becomes more or less pointless.

As I mentioned in other threads, this game is pretty much an abstract mechanically, with a heavy coat of space theme on it.
Allowing more than a side on a single space would be akin of allowing two pieces of opposing sides on the same space in a game of Checkers. It just doesn't make sense...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo.... I get the feeling you do not like the idea. Fair enough. But if there be pirates, then there will be boarding actions on my table! Aarrgghh, matey!

Seriously though, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea, and not just because it's my idea as I'm sure that at least one other person has contemplated this. Keep the 5 point total limit. Attacker hits on everything except a special (after all, there is a pip in the center for orthogonal and diagonal!) and the defender makes an automatic return fire as mentioned in my previous post. So there is plenty of risk-reward. This could be a high speed fly-by or an attempt to board an enemy vessel. Sure, you have a greater chance to hit and cause damage, but then again, so does the enemy. I really don't think the game would devolve into mindless slug fest with each side parked in the same squares duking it out turn after turn. At least smart players wouldn't.

Please remember that this is all speculation on my part as I have never played a game of Fleet Commander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play it before making house rules... but of course nothing prevents speculation like this.

A major part of the appeal of Fleet Commander is the positionning of the fleets. In fact, the positionning is 90% of the game itself. Of that, a major part is moving to block an advancing opponent, or lure him into a combined attack from multiple squares at once for massive damage inflicted in a single turn where shields become useless to prevent.

By allowing ships to move through opponents, you prevent blocking, you give an easy way out of ambushes and you drastically change what constitute the fundamentals of the game.

So yeah... i wouldn't touch this house rule with a 10 foot pole...

... but at least it creates discussion on this dying board. (edit: which i just realized is the Genesis board and not the Ignition one, this is going to become a mess in the future with two entries for the same game...)

As for boarding actions, i would personally use them in the veins of a Battleship special ability. Send the boarding ships, much like the drones are used... Let's face it, you don't use a capital ship to board another capital ship. You use boarding ships. In Fleet Commander, the small ships are abstracted, like the drones... So i'd use the same approach for boarding vessels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@deedob - Thanks for weighing in on this. It's always good to get other's perspectives and I appreciate your observations. You are absolutely right that I should play the game first, and believe me that I want to!
Anyways, definitely good points that you bring up.
I do have one question: Since you are one of my northern neighbors, shouldn't you not be touching this house rule with a 3 meter pole? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second deedob's comments on this. I've played quite a few games now and he is correct...the maneuver IS the game.

If you want boarding, I would wager that it would work better as a BB special weapon (as he mentioned) or as a special ship class with an ability to trigger a 'boarding' attacking into an adjacent space with a special die result or something. I'm not really sure what the result of that boarding attack could/should be, but I'm pretty sure the game will not work very well if ships can co-exist with the enemy.

I'm fairly certain the game system will endure a certain amount of 'fluff' but mechanically, it's concentrated on the maneuver and the ensuing attacks. There aren't even varying weapon systems in the game (outside of the BB specials)...there is just generic 'damage' based on the class size.

End of the day, you're obviously free to try whatever house rules float your boat but I think there are better systems out there if you want layers of additional attacks types and special rules. This one works very well as a fleet level game of maneuver and positioning. But it's not what I would go to for a detailed tactical space game (I'll play Starmada, Colonial Battlefleet, Fed Commander, or the new Talon for those).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Luken
United States
Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the Scavenger faction in the Pirates expansion, they can sacrifice their ship to board an enemy ship and take it over. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that is the gist of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.