designer
Columbia's Gettysburg: Badges of Courage
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the situation:
4 Patriot Continental cubes in NJ.
3 Patriot Continental cubes in Pa.
4 French Regular cubes in Pa.
The Pats wishes to March into Philly. As Philly is the destination, it will cost one Resource to move into the city.
He does so with two Pat cubes from Pa and two from NJ.
Question is, can he now move 2 or 4 French cubes into Philly? For the Resource Charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Draper
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Accompanying means begin and end in the same space, so 2 Regulars can move with the 2 from PA, but only 2 because of the "1 for 1". In the March procedure, it states that units moving from one space to another move as one group, so the 4 PA cubes move as one group, the 2 NJ cubes as another group, but you only pay for the destination space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lmjarl wrote:
Here is the situation:
4 Patriot Continental cubes in NJ.
3 Patriot Continental cubes in Pa.
4 French Regular cubes in Pa.
The Pats wishes to March into Philly. As Philly is the destination, it will cost one Resource to move into the city.
He does so with two Pat cubes from Pa and two from NJ.
Question is, can he now move 2 or 4 French cubes into Philly? For the Resource Charge.

Hey John

As Michael points out the French must accompany Patriot Continentals one for one on a Patriot March. So, since you March 2 Patriot Continental from PA to Phily then you may only move 2 French Regulars with them. As you state - the French must also pay 1 Resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Longstreet
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Columbia's Gettysburg: Badges of Courage
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harold - this makes sense, but what can lead to this confusion is the cost of the procedure is destination!

What you are telling me is that a 'Command' can make logistical plans to move various forces into a new area. And in real time to do so there must be plans drawn up, sent out, received, and carried out in various separate locations to complete the MARCH. That is why I was questioning if the 2 cubes in the other location could be the 1+ to the destination location. This is why I thought the Patriot "command" could work strategy into his move. Hmm, I wonder how Washington got both the French and the Pats to Yorktown from different locations!

But I guess this was to far beyond the level of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lmjarl wrote:
Harold - this makes sense, but what can lead to this confusion is the cost of the procedure is destination!

What you are telling me is that a 'Command' can make logistical plans to move various forces into a new area. And in real time to do so there must be plans drawn up, sent out, received, and carried out in various separate locations to complete the MARCH. That is why I was questioning if the 2 cubes in the other location could be the 1+ to the destination location. This is why I thought the Patriot "command" could work strategy into his move.

Hmm, I wonder how Washington got both the French and the Pats to Yorktown from different locations!

But I guess this was to far beyond the level of this game.

A few points to consider:

1. You seem to be thinking in terms of modern military procedures, where every unit has accurate maps and communications are virtually instantaneous. In 1780 neither of these conditions were met, and coordination with foreign allied forces was something best done face to face.

2. That said, the spaces on the LoD map are HUGE. In game terms the French and Patriot armies moving to Yorktown did not start in different locations; they both started the long March south in the New York (Colony) space.

3. Moving south was a French idea, not Washington's. In game terms at least part of the move was a French March dragging the Continentals along, not the other way around.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.