Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Suhre
United States
Eville
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the Rule book to follow along with setup and game play changes. The biggest changes will be to the Wormhole and the Cleanup phase.

SETUP
1. Setup the Multiverse board as normal.I suggest facing the Research Goals side of the board to the left. Add 1 Shield token to turns 3, 6 and 9, these will be used as reminders during the Cleanup phase.

2. Scenario’s work differently in this variant and will not be added to the Multiverse Deck. Choose one Deck scenario and place exactly 3 cards face down in the stable Wormhole. I prefer to shuffle all Deck scenarios together and randomly draw 3 without revealing them.

3. Shuffle together all Timeline, Nexus, and Nebula cards.

4. In solo mode, place 4 sets of 15 Energy discs into the bag.

5. DO NOT add an additional 2 sets of Energy discs. Solo mode is played with 4 sets only.

6. No change

7. The Wormhole phase is one of the major changes to solo mode. Deal 3 cards into the unstable Wormhole only.

8. I highly recommend using Research Goals for solo mode. This will increase your decisions when drafting from the wormhole.

9. Player's choice.

10. Player’s choice.

11. Chief Scientist and Research hands will not be used.

WORMHOLE PHASE
On odd numbered turns you must take 1 card from the unstable Wormhole.
On even numbered turns you must take 2 cards from the unstable Wormhole.

MATRIX PHASE
You spend your actions as normal and advance the Quake marker for each Timeline card you repair.

CLEANUP PHASE
1. No change.

2. Each remaining card left in the unstable Wormhole is considered to have been repaired by another player.Starting with the leftmost card in the unstable Wormhole, advance the Quake marker a number of spaces clockwise on the Multiverse board, based on the Timeline card repaired. Be sure to fracture worlds as normal during this step. Place the repaired card into the discard pile and continue this process until all cards have been removed from the unstable Wormhole. Place Nexus cards in the discard pile as they do not advance the Quake.

3. Skip this step.

4. Draw 3 cards from the deck and place them in the unstable Wormhole.

5. If a Nebula appears in the unstable Wormhole, place it atop the Anomaly as normal and continue filling the unstable Wormhole until it has exactly 3 cards.

6. No change.

7. When you advance the turn marker onto spaces 3, 6, and 9, return the Shield token back to the supply and draw one of the face down Deck Scenario cards from the stable Wormhole and place it on the appropriate section of your Player Mat.

SCORING
No change. Log your results and try to achieve a higher score. This is the variant I used to play test solo and
even though the goal is to score points, it’s equally important to learn Wormhole, Quake, and resource
management.

Feel free to use this and make any changes as you see fit. I wanted something that I could play quickly, without having to manipulate a lot of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first 2 player game and really enjoyed it. Unlike any other game in my collection. Looking forward to giving this a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Now you post this! I played a solitaire 2p game yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Now I have to try the Solo Mode… unless I can convince the family before then…. They all seem enticed (the kids instantly recognized the triptychs I'd been showing them all these months)….

Thanks for the interesting game, and for the solitaire play mode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news about the retail availability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... a solo play mode! Definitely puts this game on my list.

Thanks Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davey yaved
msg tools
I really like this game but have been wondering about a way to increase player interaction. The multiplayer solitaire aspect is not my favorite, especially when the theme lends itself to collaborative interaction so well! This variant isn't collaborative in the full sense, but allows players to benefit from each others set collecting (like in many card games).
Here it is:
Add two points to all card holders score if all 3 time cards are rescued for a given world. This applies whether cards are in one or multiple players score piles. (+4 if 3+nexus are saved). These bonuses are in addition to those in the rulebook. It may be desirable to increase the research bonuses etc to rebalance. Also, I think this may add a new layer of difficult choices as players decide between their research bonuses and the points they could get by w bonuses.

Here's another option in the same vein: Play research bonuses exposed (one per player) as an asymetric power. An individual players bonus go up for all the research cards rescued that everyone has at end of game. Thus players have a disincentive to collect cards of other players research goals...

While on the subject of theme, (In case the designer reads this, or other folks have insights), I'm not sure how to think thematically about the nexus concept. What would that represent in this context? Also, are the two wormwholes to be imagined as inside the anomoly, if so what is the relationship of the three tokens to all of that (thematically). there are other thematic loose ends for me, but the excellent mechanics, fun theme and artwork still makes this one of my current favorite games.

Let me know what you think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davey yaved
msg tools
Re my variant ideas above: I should have clarified, I haven't actually had a chance to try these yet. Also, I haven't thought through how the points might actually work in the research as asymmetric powers idea... But I have an inkling or two to pursue.
Fiat lux,
Davey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Suhre
United States
Eville
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In an older thread, I posted how to add a little more cooperation to your games.

Co-op Paradox -- is it in development? Any word?

Using Research goals is also a way to have players score piles overlap and depending on your group, a temporary alliance is formed to insure these shared planets safety.

Paradox from the beginning was to be a competitive game. Even as a competitive game, players still seemed to always want to help each other. I began working on a 1-4 player coop game set in the Paradox universe.

Split Second Games and I have been working out the details over the past year and we've had some very productive meetings at Origins and Gen Con. Randy and Paul have been amazing to work with and have been working on some really neat ideas on tying these two games together.

As far as thematic tie-in for each mechanism, Nexus cards are a lock on the planets current location in space. The wormhole gives you brief opportunities to lock onto the worlds trapped inside the Quake. The Anomaly is just that, an unexplained source of energy.

During my research about time travel, I read article after article where no one seemed to agree on whatever theory was being discussed. At that point, I knew we had to make our own hybrid and explain it as best we can.

I look forward to seeing player variants and what the community comes up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Luckus
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am excited to see this post. I have been playing a lot of games solo outside of our gaming meetup lately. I am very interested in Paradox and the solo rules make it my next purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.