Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Recommended Starting Decks for 4 Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a regular Tuesday evening co-op games evening. This week, Sentinels of the Multiverse. This is very different to all other games we've played before.

Are there specific decks that would do well together in a four-player game or are all decks equally balanced? I ask from a D&D perspective, I guess. I fear us all going into face a boss with four thieves. You know what I mean? A thief is great but only if there's a fighter and maybe a magic-user.

So, similarly, are there themes of decks? Attacking? Defensive? Manipulative? That kind of thing. I would like us to have as varied an array of decks as possible.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For first time players there's a couple to stay away from, IMO, until you get a better understanding of the game.

Avoid:
Absolute Zero
Visionary

Strong:
Tempest
Wraith
Ra
Legacy (makes whole team stronger, but may be boring to play)

Any of the other heroes not mentioned are perfectly acceptable to play with as well for your first time, but the four there are the strongest/most straight forward in the base set, I believe.

As for categories, I'm sure someone else can put together a better list (or already has). But here's something to start you off:
Absolute Zero - Slow start and unconventional. Self heals and packs a big punch late game. Susceptible to equipment destruction.
Bunker - Equipment based and a decent attacker. Has three modes to switch between for better attacks, card draws, or card plays.
Fanatic - Good at taking a punch. Has staying power and limited enemy target manipulation by locking down damage.
Haka - Beefy character that accumulates a large hand size over time for strong card plays. Limited deck manipulation via "eating" enemy cards and stopping non-hero damage.
Legacy - Support, makes the whole team stronger, but limited damage dealt himself.
Ra - Most pure offensive character of the set.
Tachyon - Burns through her deck intentionally in order to play strong one shots at the end.
Tempest - Jack of all trades, master of...all.
Visionary - Support, great at helping others draw, manipulating villain/environment decks, ongoing destruction, etc.
Wraith - Strong equipment based damage dealer.

The choice of villains is potentially the bigger decision as the difficulty of the four are quite different. If you want an easier first game to get a feel for it, try Baron Blade or Omnitron. For a harder game that might overrun your heroes as you get a feel for it, go up against Grand Warlord Voss, or even Citizen Dawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, your desire for diversity bodes well for your future as an SOTM player.

Ra is simple and straightforward. His is the most damage focussed deck in the game. He does have a little leeway to make combos, but mostly he points at things and tells them to burn. Fun to play, perhaps the easiest deck.

The Wraith is the female batman style hero. She is heavilly dependent on equipment, but is straightforward to play. She brings a bit of ongoing destruction.

Tempest is extremely versatile, and often spreads its damage over multiple targets.

Tachyon is a bit more complex, but still doable for a beginner. You do have to know one thing about her deck to play it well; the more Keyword Burst cards she can get into her trash, the better; her big attacks are tied to this. It's a very intersting deck, which gives the feel of a "speedster". Also ongoing control.

OR, for an easier game, swap out Legacy for one of the others. Legacy is a powerful tank and buffer haracter, and the least balanced... he willl increase your team's chances. However, he does very little direct combat, and some players find this boring. Others love the heavy support role, and optimize it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One issue you might encounter is that certain villains are more focused or have a certain type of threat more so than others. This could cause the "four thieves" problem.

For example, Warlord Voss has a couple of very deadly minions as well as cards which will put all of his discarded minions back into play. Without deck manipulation (Visionary, Wraith, etc...), this can be a game ender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
So, similarly, are there themes of decks? Attacking? Defensive? Manipulative? That kind of thing. I would like us to have as varied an array of decks as possible.

You can check it out here: Hero Types
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archr gave a really good basic first game team. Except for Legacy, they are all consistent damage dealers. Legacy as mentioned just makes everyone better. He's a big cheerleader and damage sponge.

Haka would be a decent hero to plug into that group as well. He's still fairly simple to play and throws plenty of punches.

Bunker is a bit more complex, but once you get some of his gear up he can be a machine. It will take a little more thought to grok the mode cards.

I'd definitely stay away from Absolute Zero and Visionary at first. AZ is the most complex, hard to figure hero in the base set. He takes a while to get set up, and takes a different mindset than you likely will have at first. Visionary is also a bit tougher because of the subtlety of her effects. She also is not a damage dealer (though has several direct damage cards); her job--like Legacy's--is support. I am finally just getting how best to use her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much agree with everything said so far. Just wanted to add one tid-bit.

The video game version has a free demo that IIRC has Legacy, Tachyon, Bunker, and Wraith VS Baron Blade in Megaopolis. That's a pretty easy game for first timers to win while learning the basics of the game and seeing some different (but not TOO different) deck styles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
Legacy, Tachyon, Bunker, and Wraith VS Baron Blade in Megaopolis.

Correct but it's Insula Primalis with looots of Obsidian Fields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Insula Primalis is a much better Environment for beginners.

Megalopolis is all about restricting what a character can do, and can be both complex and frustrating. Why, when you are teaching the play sequence, would you want an exception to come up every other turn?

Wheras Insula Primalis... Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs!

And if I haven't said enough... Volcano!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.