Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
Hi,

this is my first attempt of designing something for STAW. I have created 3 packs: USS Enterprise-B, USS Enterprise-C and a Keldon class. Each pack comes with a ship, a captain, 4 upgrades and an admiral. I tried to make these as thematic as possible.

I hope you like it and its not too overpowered.

Sorry about the formatting, but I can't figure out how to place the images in one row. Edit: Reformatted thanks to Andrew McLaury.

USS Enterprise-B

The Enterprise-B is of course captained by John Harriman who provides you with a cheap upgrade that comes Tuesday.

USS Enterprise-C

Since this is the first Ambassador class ship, I included the generic and the movement card as well. Firing arcs are 90° front and 90° rear. In the episode where it appeared it was said that the Ambassador class is pretty maneuverable, so I hope this one fits nicely between the Excelsior and Galaxy class.

Okara

A non-canonical Kendon class that was part of the fleet that attacked the founder's homeworld. This is an Obsidian Order themed pack.

• [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Building ships in this game, while not "official" since there is no construction kit, can be a lot of fun. It is often the case that your own design decisions for various ships won't be what others would make but no-one can call you wrong but WK and maybe not even them.

That said, WK has created a sort of power compression of the ships in the Star Trek universe so that they can all be on the field of battle at once. We saw in "In a Mirror Darkly" what would happen if an NX went up against a Constitution but in STAW the power differential is compressed so that the Constitution isn't that much more powerful than the NX. The idea that the NX could survive on a battlefield with the Scimitar is comical at best but not in STAW.

That means that even though ship A should be more powerful than ship B -- more powerful weapons, better shields, etc etc., we often don't see it in STAW (or at least the degree of difference is markedly reduced).

My own reading of this was that the Enterprise C was pretty much at the same power level as the D with very minor differences (and none in firepower). This wasn't because the D wasn't more powerful. It was only that the compression in STAW makes the difference invisible. But that's just my opinion.

Also when you design ships like this, it's easy for anyone (including me definitely) to fall into the trap of trying to make totally thematic designs. What happens is you get a great ship from a thematic point of view which has no place on the STAW battlefield. Making a captain with a funny thematic talent results in a captain no-one uses and so on.

I think you have to step back after you design the ship, and think about whether it can actually compete on the power-compressed STAW battlefield. I think the answer here is no, at least for the Enterprise C. Even the Enterprise D is marginal these days so giving it less than a 4 attack strength is probably a non starter. Yes you can use the 3 weapon cards to upgrade it to 5 if you give it enough weapon slots but it might be better to give it a 4 weapon and a 180 arc with 90 rear.

Also even though you don't need the ship to "survive" like a blind booster, totally on its own cards, you should at least try to achieve that. That means having the captain and the crew all to be decent cards. I have a special affection for Harriman because of the Star Trek novels of the adventures of the 1701B but even if I didn't, I'd make him good because this is an Enterprise and you want at least one good captain in the pack. Also, I suspect no-one becomes the captain of a ship named Enterprise without a lot of potential to be a great captain.

None of this says you're wrong but maybe you should try the ship as though it was a blind booster on the board against some of it's likely rivals to see how they perform. When I do that with my own cards, I always end up making changes.

Doing these cards has given me an appreciation for how hard it is to make good cards that are worth playing but not too powerful. Now that you have had your first taste, I hope you will come back and design more cards, and as you do you will find you have new appreciation for how subtle differences in the cards can lead to overpowered effects. Guinan for example has the potential for giving us Weyoun Varel back again, even if it is only every few rounds.

Thanks for doing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
Thank you very much. This is really constructive criticism. I appreciate it a lot. Between Galaxy and Excelsior class there is only 1 point of Primary Weapon value, so where does the Ambassador class fit in? I decided that it would be a more maneuvrable Excelsior class, with 90/90 arcs and more tech slots.

My goal was to create thematic packs with some synergy. In case of the Enterprise-C, the theme of the pack is obviously "give the ship Aux Power". I don't play tournaments so I have no idea what is competitive and what isn't. I only think about what I would like to use at least in some situations.

When I look at my own cards I really like them, but when I look at some other people's cards I often don't like them. And I imaging it is the other way around for those people. But nevertheless, I like seeing how others view the world of STAW when designing cards

Thanks for viewing and thanks for commenting. I have some ideas for other packs, so maybe I keep them coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
The idea that the NX could survive on a battlefield with the Scimitar is comical at best but not in STAW.

The NX-01 Refit could probably do it.

(Click for bigger image)

@ OP, Very cool cards, nicely done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some of the best custom cards I've ever seen, truly. If only this had been Wave 23... (not that we need 2 Fed ships in a single wave these days)

Well done, sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
The idea that the NX could survive on a battlefield with the Scimitar is comical at best but not in STAW.

The NX-01 Refit could probably do it.

(Click for bigger image)

@ OP, Very cool cards, nicely done.

A very cool picture, but even in STAW, this battle would not go well for the NX. Not even though I have a home built upgrade card for the NX to make it into the upgraded version. Even with that and the power compression in STAW, this is merely a dream. Even a bunch of NXs with upgrades would have problems penetrating the cloak of the Scimitar.

But the power compress would allow a collection of upgraded Constitutions to give it some trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I would happily pay $15 for an Okara pack like you've created. In fairness, I'm desperate for another named Keldon, but I like the creativity and generally balanced cards you've got here.

The Obsidian Order talent seems way too expensive for what it does, but most talents that WK is publishing are also 5 points and even less useful. So maybe I'm just looking at talents wrong in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice work on these! I've been working on giving some new options to my Cardassians lately, so your new Keldon will really give them a nice boost. That ship ability is gorgeously designed in that it takes the ship's biggest weakness and gives some compensation for it, but by no means feeling cheesy while doing so.

On the formatting issue, to get them to lineup nicely you just put the images you want on the same line, and then add the word "inline" (without quotes) into the image tag. Try quoting this post, it'll show you what the code looks like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
Thanks guys for the praise. I like the Keldon class as well, I just hate that it has less shields than the Galor class which doesn't make sense to me. The Keldon is basically the same superstructure plus some additions, it shouldn't have less shields. The Cruiser Refit upgrade fixes this

Obsidian Order is basically a copy of the Tal Shiar talent, just a little different. I try not to make cards overpowered, maybe this causes some cards to be underpowered.

I really like doing thematic packs. If you have any suggestions, let me know. I have some ideas for a new Galaxy class (USS Yamato or USS Odyssey), so maybe this will be next.

Amperglyph wrote:
On the formatting issue, to get them to lineup nicely you just put the images you want on the same line, and then add the word "inline" (without quotes) into the image tag.

Thanks for that, I was really annoyed that I couldn't figure this out. Ironically, I'm a web developer but this forum markup is too simple for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The slightly annoying thing (my posts do it too) is that I can't quite read the text without clicking on the card and if I click, I have to click on each card since the "next" card in the images is seldom the next card shown. I don't know how to fix this. Does anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
truman shortridge
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
give the c a 4 primary weapon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome all around. What's Soran's base skill point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Well, obviously I'm not qualified to assign Captain Skills to someone else's cards, but I still have fun making some guesses, since all 3 of them come at price points with an ambiguous connection to Skill Value.

Sela is the most obvious answer, her Action and Talent slots are a tremendous deal for 3 points, so even though she is an extremely competent Captain, I'd expect no higher than 4 for this card.

Soran's case is a little more challenging, since his Action is a one-shot. It's a great deal at 3 points, but the restriction does effectively mean you're choosing between having Captain Skill and being able to use it, so in light of that, I think he could be 5.

Enabran Tain can have 3 or 4, and in his case, I think I'd guess 4 - his Action can result in some powerful disruption, but it's very dependent on the opponent's build and the Action economy on it is very expensive beyond using it to dull an alpha strike slightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
Amperglyph wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Well, obviously I'm not qualified to assign Captain Skills to someone else's cards, but I still have fun making some guesses, since all 3 of them come at price points with an ambiguous connection to Skill Value.

Sela is the most obvious answer, her Action and Talent slots are a tremendous deal for 3 points, so even though she is an extremely competent Captain, I'd expect no higher than 4 for this card.

Soran's case is a little more challenging, since his Action is a one-shot. It's a great deal at 3 points, but the restriction does effectively mean you're choosing between having Captain Skill and being able to use it, so in light of that, I think he could be 5.

Enabran Tain can have 3 or 4, and in his case, I think I'd guess 4 - his Action can result in some powerful disruption, but it's very dependent on the opponent's build and the Action economy on it is very expensive beyond using it to dull an alpha strike slightly.

I haven't actually designed the captain side of the admirals, but I imagined it pretty much as you said. All captains should be on the low-skill side, with Soran the highest:

Sela: 4
Enabran Tain: 4
Tolian Soran: 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, something that may be of use here: the details are so scarce as to be non-existent, but it looks like Wizkids just started offering preorders on an Enterprise-B retail expansion, to be released this September:

Wave 26 - Enterprise-B Expansion Pack

(As for the proof as to how this is in September, that goes back to this image (which is actually David Montgomery's image on a mirror because it was originally posted to a closed group) from the Wizkids Event System showing a September release date for other Wave 26 expansions.)

((Also, following the current release schedule for this game has officially reached conspiracy theory levels of crazy.))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls