Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

oh-oh oh oh oh-oh-oh
My my my melee fails to connect because my opponent holds initiative

Yes I would like to discuss Initiative variants.

Although it has already been discussed here for example
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1104290/initiative-perm...

and I appreciate the intricacies of the command card system,
I can't shake of the feeling that permanently holding initiative during 5 game rounds isn't skewing the game just a little bit in favor of the person holding the Hammer.

Especially when both players are getting to know the game and are using pre-constructed armies (0 points left thus dice roll at start = decisive)

Would it be a good option for newbies to use this:
- Determine initiative as per game rules
- Have one player select deployment first
- Have the other player select terrain first
- Then alternate The Hammer after each Game Round. This way the person who initially got Initiative will have it 3 times and the other person 2 times.

Maybe this will STOP the Hammer Time feeling every time a decisive moment in the game is determined by the player holding the hammer.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure to decide who keeps the Warhammer at game's end for tiebreakers. Any house rule would work fine. The one you propose seems functional. Go for it. For added newbie friendliness, consider removing the objective that gives points for getting disks in the opposing deployment zone since this is trickier to achieve. I would also suggest that the person without the end of the game tiebreaker gets a shot at terrain first so they can get the Cave if desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play with elves I wanna go last. Remember that the last player chooses locations first and having control of the locations that give you line of sight or make you immune to impact is golden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
When I play with elves I wanna go last. Remember that the last player chooses locations first and having control of the locations that give you line of sight or make you immune to impact is golden.

I agree with you and Alwin believes the game is ultimately balanced but he is having trouble in the meantime (while they get more experienced) since the player with initiative has been dominating their games more than what they are comfortable with. In this case, I think it is reasonable to tweak the rules until they get more used to the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Fressin
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I concur about the balance. I actually want to leave initiative to my opponent with the majority of my armies. But it's close enough that I almost always spend my whole point allocation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fanfan wrote:
I concur about the balance. I actually want to leave initiative to my opponent with the majority of my armies. But it's close enough that I almost always spend my whole point allocation.

And, what do you know about Diskwars? J/k

FWIW, Alwin, Fanfan has won the Nationals and Worlds Diskwars tournaments. His word may carry some weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alwin wrote:

oh-oh oh oh oh-oh-oh
My my my melee fails to connect because my opponent holds initiative

Thank you, for Myrmidia's Blessing me
With ample trample and two Knights Panther
It feels good, to beat you down
A super dope greenskin from SniperTroll Town

...this is what happens when I skip breakfast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Fressin
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Ronaldo wrote:
[q="Fanfan"]
And, what do you know about Diskwars? J/k

We had a blast with a friend yesterday night - he wishes to put it back on table for our next weekly meetings. So I am planning to publish a few strategy articles, and maybe a way-too-long overdue Worlds finals reports.

I have one written for chaos and living deads, but they could need some work on illustration before being published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Since you're looking forward to hearing my thoughts I'll give them but I don't know why they'd help you.

Honestly there's no reason for you not to play the way you want with whatever rules you want On the other hand, if every game you played is determined by who has initiative then either there are some learn to play issues or someone is playing undead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

thanks for all the great input and for seeing through my cheesiness.
Believe me, I was hearing MC Hammer whenever I lost initiative

The golden geek gold award goes to RruinerR

Ronaldo, you have fully understood the nature of my question. Thanks for the comments and thanks for pointing out that the World Champion of Diskwars is posting among us.

Fanfan, dear Sir, I'm looking forward to reading those posts.

One of our games did involve the undead, which might have made things even more complicated. I believe our second or third game was Undead vs High Elves and during the first activation my Bolt Thrower dealt a critical hit to the black coach thereby pinning a whole stack of units. At several key moments in the game I won a "Hammer Time" initiative and made the bones of my undead adversaries rattle.

We did make strategic use of terrain though. Placing a watchtower to block line of sight, use of the cave to be safe of ranged units and magic, a hill in a deployment zone to put a canon on top and that kind of stuff. Yes the terrain that makes units immune to impact damage is golden indeed.

Will get another friend introduced to Diskwars tonight.

Game isn't very popular overhear. The 38 USD price tag for a single base game might have something to do with it. I noticed the game is a lot cheaper in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.