Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: Should we anticipate QC issues? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Femme Worth
msg tools
mb
The only Wizkids game I own is D&D Temple of Elemental Evil, which I didn't have any problems with and some others did. From what I gather Wizkids has a history of sorts cutting corners. Looking around BGG, Mage Knight (and expansions) had issues and as did Star Trek Fleet Captains. Despite being put off by what they have shown so far, component wise, I'm still very interested in this game. I'd rather this not be the first time I get burned. :\





2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The quality of WizKids game components is definitely hit or miss. Many of their games have plastic miniatures with excellent details, but then others totally don't. And sometimes they use thin and weak cardboard components.

I don't know. Fingers are crossed that they finally do a Star Trek game right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on their quality control with Mage Knight, I would assume that when I open the Star Trek Frontiers box, I will find only the stack of galaxy map tiles, a poker deck, and a signed photograph of Worf stained with raspberry jam. If the poker deck has all four aces it will be a pleasant surprise.
45 
 Thumb up
1.28
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Zev is now at WizKids and this is definitely a high profile release. Let's see if things have changed before assuming the new boss is same as the old boss.

12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Femme Worth
msg tools
mb
grandslam wrote:
Zev is now at WizKids and this is definitely a high profile release. Let's see if things have changed before assuming the new boss is same as the old boss.


Unless he has been there for months, would it not be too late for him to do anything? (Edit: He left Z-Man Games in January.) If it's coming out in May then it is already being manufactured, and I doubt any radical changes could be made even in the few months prior. Future reprints could, in theory, be drastically different/better but then we would have to wait months past the initial release. Early adopters would be screwed.

Though the game has already been delayed once, which could be a good sign.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And we don't know if he was hired for sourcing games or designing them. If the latter, then he'll be powerless to change the endless flow of crappy WizKids QC .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
And we don't know if he was hired for sourcing games or designing them. If the latter, then he'll be powerless to change the endless flow of crappy WizKids QC .


He is the head of the board game division.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a fleet captains ship of mine broke after attempting to turn the wheel at the base. not much pressure at all, about as much as would happen with anyone turning the wheel. After contacting wizkids, I was told it was user error and they would not be replacing the ship. I was furious. I asked how much it would cost to replace it and never heard back.

So @$%^ Wizkids is my motto. I love Mage Knight, but refuse to buy anything from them not related to that now.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escoffery
Switzerland
Geneva
Confignon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't and haven't had any problems with wizkids. I have quite a few of their games, from Fleet Captains the expansions and Mage Knight to Dice Masters stuff and Batman Gotham City Strategy Game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Of course you should expect bad quality. I'd also have serious reservations on buying the 1st print run.

It's on Wizkids to change this label they've been given, not for us customers to blindly hope for the best.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Main thing that worries me is that they released those subpar shots of what looks to be a pre-production copy of Frontiers.

So either that's going to be the game, or they screwed up (already) in releasing those photos without putting them in the proper light, and haven't since bothered to let us know that they aren't legit images of the game.

Either way, I have no idea what to expect from these guys nowadays. Should be interesting to find out, at least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
Main thing that worries me is that they released those subpar shots of what looks to be a pre-production copy of Frontiers.


Who are the 'they' in question?

I was under the impression they were photo taken by some one who posted them onto figures.com who attended the toy fair, not from WK.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
Exo Desta wrote:
Main thing that worries me is that they released those subpar shots of what looks to be a pre-production copy of Frontiers.


Who are the 'they' in question?

I was under the impression they were photo taken by some one who posted them onto figures.com who attended the toy fair, not from WK.

If that's the case, then that explains a lot. It looked to me like they were officially released, though I admit to not looking into it.

Still curious why no official word was given as to whether those are finalized components or not, given the reaction to them here on BGG.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Femme Worth
msg tools
mb
Exo Desta wrote:

If that's the case, then that explains a lot. It looked to me like they were officially released, though I admit to not looking into it.

Still curious why no official word was given as to whether those are finalized components or not, given the reaction to them here on BGG.

They are not the final version of the components. But going by the back of the box they are very close.
https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/701095559537496065
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality problems with Mage Knight? Granted, I've only played my copy 5 or 6 times, but I didn't notice any quality issues. Can anyone summarize the problem for me?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been issues with some of the expansions, most notably Mage Knight Board Game: Shades of Tezla Expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:
Quality problems with Mage Knight? Granted, I've only played my copy 5 or 6 times, but I didn't notice any quality issues. Can anyone summarize the problem for me?


Card size has changed enough between printings (and between products) that you can't riffle shuffle.

Some card backs are marked.

Map tiles are also a different size in some copies of the LL expansion.

The enemy tokens in Shades Of Tezla were a VERY different size from the old ones, making it impossible not to notice if it was a new or old token on top of the stack.

There have been other minor problems, like printing rule sheets that don't actually fit in the box.

I also think they've done a bad job with more subjective aspects-- many of the miniatures look pretty bad, and it looks to me as if the same art was used on multiple different cards, just zooming in on the art more on one card so that they weren't quite identical.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
A worthy summary cool

edit:
After seeing more and more pics I feel ok with it. I'll most certainly be buying it.
But one thing that I really like about the Mage Knight cards are the linen finish. It does not appear that is the case here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keenan kahnemouii
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: Should we anticipate QC issues?
Things to consider: Wizkidz
Answer: Yes we should anticipate QC issues!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Femmeworth wrote:
Should we anticipate QC issues?


Yeah, did the Pope shit in the woods?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The first edition will be the beta, except you have to pay full price for the privilege.

The second edition will have reprinted components that fix the problems of the first edition but will also have slight differences in printing quality.

The first expansion will match the second edition but not the first, so hopefully early adopters used opaque sleeves and have a blind draw method for components that are not sleeved. A war will break out between outraged first edition customers and sanctimonious second edition customers that will create 10 page threads and Nazi accusations.

All future expansions will have mismatch component issues that will make owners of all previous editions pissed and swear they will never buy another Wizkids product.

Wizkids will release a new skinned version, let's say Hunger Games themed, all the above will repeat itself with the addition of the Katniss figure having a pizza face like the MK blood chick.

And so many will keep buying anyway...
11 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokhuah wrote:
The first edition will be the beta, except you have to pay full price for the privilege.

The second edition will have reprinted components that fix the problems of the first edition but will also have slight differences in printing quality.

The first expansion will match the second edition but not the first, so hopefully early adopters used opaque sleeves and have a blind draw method for components that are not sleeved. A war will break out between outraged first edition customers and sanctimonious second edition customers that will create 10 page threads and Nazi accusations.

All future expansions will have mismatch component issues that will make owners of all previous editions pissed and swear they will never buy another Wizkids product.

Wizkids will release a new skinned version, let's say Hunger Games themed, all the above will repeat itself with the addition of the Katniss figure having a pizza face like the MK blood chick.

And so many will keep buying anyway...


Sound like the Battlestar Galactica reskin . . . "All of this has happened before and will happen again."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

Was asked to chime in here.

I just recently came on board so some upcoming releases I had no hand in, including this particular game.

As for future releases, (this does NOT include Heroclix or Dicemasters), I will have some control over production. However, until I get used to the production process and printer(s) we use, and figure out what needs changing and what does not, this will take a little time.

So bear with us and hopefully you will be happily satisfied.

Zev Shlasinger
Director of Board Games
Wizkids
28 
 Thumb up
0.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip James
msg tools
BruceBelafonte wrote:
I don't and haven't had any problems with wizkids. I have quite a few of their games, from Fleet Captains the expansions and Mage Knight to Dice Masters stuff and Batman Gotham City Strategy Game.


If you have Mage Knight, then you have a problem with them (even if it's not a big problem by your standards). Have you compared the back of the artifact cards to the backs of the rest of the deed cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.