Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
It's only fair that I cross post this from the publisher's CSW thread.

Another reason to love Last Stand ...

Katyushas !

Right, like anyone here pictured a plucky young lady when the term Katyusha came up.

There's the Kat!

If you'd like to watch Katyushas in action for over 9 minutes ...

Now for those actually interested in the game, here's a tidbit about "The Kats" ... they MOVE _and_ BOMBARD before other Soviet units move and before the Germans are able to reaction move.

Don't you love reaction movement? Just another of those little decision points that can make a good game great.

Anywho, The Kats, they get to surprise the German player and can blast a hole in the their line that can be exploited by other Soviet units before Jerry knows what hit him. All through an elegant mechanic and minimal rules.

Sound good, but find yourself wanting more? The Kats attack using a d10 ... which is also used in overruns whereas other attacks use a d6. Same CRT, but there's another four rows of hurt on the top side. This one doesn't go to eleven ... but it does go to ten which is pretty good.

Still not loving the Kats? What if I told you that the defensive strength of units in the defending hex is irrelevant in Katyusha bombardments as is the terrain of the defending hex, hexside terrain, and weather? They attack on their own column of the CRT, the "K" column. These additional four rows on the "K" column of the CRT all involve mandatory step losses and retreats ... which those who read my AAR will remember are performed by the attacker.

Oh yes, the Kats are to be respected.

True, they leave the map permanently once used but regardless, what's a hole in the Jerry line if not ephemeral?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.