Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just something I've noticed on my Facebook feed but I don't want to start a flamewar there so I ask here, all my friends seem to love Deadpool, from my most puritan Christian friends to my most politically correct Liberal friends.

So what gives? The only thing I can come up with is that Deadpool is so fricken cool he overrides all of their principles. Since he is the opposite of puritan and the opposite of politically correct, this is the only thing I can think of.

(I am neither a puritan nor politically correct so I had no trouble getting on the Deadpool bandwagon, but I am absolutely surprised by who has)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Just something I've noticed on my Facebook feed but I don't want to start a flamewar there so I ask here, all my friends seem to love Deadpool, from my most puritan Christian friends to my most politically correct Liberal friends.

So what gives? The only thing I can come up with is that Deadpool is so fricken cool he overrides all of their principles. Since he is the opposite of puritan and the opposite of politically correct, this is the only thing I can think of.

(I am neither a puritan nor politically correct so I had no trouble getting on the Deadpool bandwagon, but I am absolutely surprised by who has)

Maybe they can tell the difference between fantasy and reality so it doesn't really bother them? And it is rated R so maybe they arent dumb enough to take their kids to the movie and get all pissed off when deadpool says fucking mother fucker shit ass bitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Maybe they can tell the difference between fantasy and reality so it doesn't really bother them? And it is rated R so maybe they arent dumb enough to take their kids to the movie and get all pissed off when deadpool says fucking mother fucker shit ass bitch.

So are you saying some people think certain R-rated, politically incorrect, debaucherous movies are "real" and since Deadpool is a superhero movie it gets a pass?

The vast majority of movies are fictional, so I don't really see the difference.

We're talking about the same people who avoid Game of Thrones because of the nudity and violence (the puritans) and because of gender and sex issues and lack of race diversity (the liberals).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

So are you saying some people think certain R-rated, politically incorrect, debaucherous movies are "real" and since Deadpool is a superhero movie it gets a pass?

The vast majority of movies are fictional, so I don't really see the difference.

We're talking about the same people who avoid Game of Thrones because of the nudity and violence (the puritans) and because of gender and sex issues and lack of race diversity (the liberals).

Game of thrones is like, easier to see the people as real people. And they are alllllll fucking assholes.
Deadpool doesnt seem like real people. If you chop a head off of a guy wearing a motorcycle helmet and kick it at someone else, that lacks the authenticity of sean bean getting his head cut off. Easier to be more detached.
You have a guy getting shot up the ass and laughing it off. It is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Not on my Facebook feed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Your friends sound like joyless assholes.

2. Except about Deadpool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:

Well THAT was presumptuous and unnecessarily insulting. Unlike you, apparently, I have a very wide range of friends. The ones I am referring to represent the extreme fringes, most of my friends love stuff like Game of Thrones, whether they are Christian or liberal or neither or both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read some of the comics before and took my 13 yr old kid to see the movie. We loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
@op

Because even a little bit of fourth-wall breaking and absurdity is enough to get people on board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing more about the character or the movie beyond what a google search will tell you. So he's an antihero character. What specifically is supposed to be objectionable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I know nothing more about the character or the movie beyond what a google search will tell you. So he's an antihero character. What specifically is supposed to be objectionable?

just the standard sex, violence and bad language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
whac3 wrote:

I've heard that there are some who object to one or more of the following:

nudity
violence
swearing
sex
anal sex
male receiving anal sex
references to genitalia
references to bestiality
prostitution
drug use
torture
really bad swearing
really bad violence
gore
vigilantism
wall-to-wall swearing
murder for hire
dismemberment
dead baby humour
the protagonist being very definitely not a hero, and in fact actively criminal
did I mention the swearing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I've heard that there are some who object to one or more of the following:

nudity
violence
swearing
sex
anal sex
male receiving anal sex
references to genitalia
references to bestiality
prostitution
drug use
torture
really bad swearing
really bad violence
gore
vigilantism
wall-to-wall swearing
murder for hire
dismemberment
dead baby humour
the protagonist being very definitely not a hero, and in fact actively criminal
did I mention the swearing?

It's the Puritanical Christians that seems the most odd to me seeing that list of subjectively objectionable movie characteristics. They seem to lack the ability to find the humor or entertainment in nudity/sex and gory death. I know my parents wouldn't be caught dead at Deadpool.

Liberals, even the most extreme, can find humor though I doubt you'll find many femi-nazis sitting next to you in the theater.

Trey, are many of your friends that fit one of these categories old school comic book aficionados?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Shampoo4you wrote:

Why would you think most conservatives are puritan and most liberals are politically correct in the first place? That's almost never the case except in the blogosphere. It's like how Dashi remarked on how he was surprised that someone who watches Archer could be so "easily offendable". Ah, projection for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Koldfoot wrote:

Hey, asshole: it's a movie. Christians can't like fiction?

Hey, asshole, I literally said in the post you quoted that even the majority of my Christian friends enjoy stuff like Deadpool and Game of Thrones. Learn to read or get bent.

Quote:
Real friends are dealt with in life, not the internet.

WTF? I can't use the internet to communicate with my friends? I don't even understand your point. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's dumb.

Quote:
Internet personas are not friends, they are characters.

Right. Good thing I know them all personally, so your comment is doubly asinine.

Quote:
Until you discuss this issue in real life, lay off of accusing people with real lives.

What "issue"? What "accusation"? Where the hell did I accuse anyone of ANYTHING? I asked a simple question. And I'm GLAD they enjoy Deadpool, I was just wondering why. Actually, it's more like how, not why, I know why, Deadpool is great.

Are you just trying to steal the troll crown from CapNClassic with this post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:

Why would you think most conservatives are puritan and most liberals are politically correct in the first place?

Ummmmmmmm, where did I say either of these things? I said these were the FRINGES of my Christian and liberal friends. Most of my Christian and liberal friends are totally okay with Rated-R and even NC-17 type stuff. Certainly most conservatives I know are NOT puritan and most liberals I know are NOT politically correct.

FRINGES, FRINGES. Not sure how multiple posters missed that.

Edit: went back and reread what I posted and I even said "extreme" fringes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Shampoo4you wrote:
she2 wrote:

Why would you think most conservatives are puritan and most liberals are politically correct in the first place?

Ummmmmmmm, where did I say either of these things? I said these were the FRINGES of my Christian and liberal friends. Most of my Christian and liberal friends are totally okay with Rated-R and even NC-17 type stuff. Certainly most conservatives I know are NOT puritan and most liberals I know are NOT politically correct.

Whatever. I guess this was just you trolling then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
she2 wrote:

Whatever. I guess this was just you trolling then.

Trolling how exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:

Trey, are many of your friends that fit one of these categories old school comic book aficionados?

Come to think of it, I think that's it. They love comics, so I guess that's why they gave Deadpool a pass, because it's coming from a genre they are more comfortable with.

Thanks for the serious, non-trollish response to my OP. You are apparently one of the few RSP posters capable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

Well THAT was presumptuous and unnecessarily insulting. Unlike you, apparently, I have a very wide range of friends. The ones I am referring to represent the extreme fringes, most of my friends love stuff like Game of Thrones, whether they are Christian or liberal or neither or both.

In that case:

1. Some of your friends sound like joyless assholes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

In that case:

Well thanks, that was only somewhat presumptuous.

(but I would agree that people that can't enjoy Deadpool have a bit of wet blanket in them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Shampoo4you wrote:
You are apparently one of the few RSP posters capable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
rylfrazier wrote:

C'mon.

#NotAllJoylessAssholes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

In that case:

Well thanks, that was only somewhat presumptuous.

(but I would agree that people that can't enjoy Deadpool have a bit of wet blanket in them)

To address your specific Game of Thrones v. Deadpool comparison, IMO, while both Deadpool and Game of Thrones feature nudity, extreme violence and amorality, Deadpool plays the amorality primarily for laughs and the nudity is actually mostly kind of mild and while adolescent, doesn't feel that exploitative.

Game of Thrones has similar elements but they're much nastier and more unpleasent. Deadpool has humorous sadism and some pretty dark jokes about rape, Game of Thrones has actual brutal sadism and rape. I can see how people would be OK with one but not the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Deadpool doesnt seem like real people. If you chop a head off of a guy wearing a motorcycle helmet and kick it at someone else, that lacks the authenticity of sean bean getting his head cut off. Easier to be more detached.

Thumb given for that line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.