1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero - Gray (villain conversion to hero) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Wright
msg tools
Indigo33597 wrote:
In light of the Oblivaeon kickstarter, I would like to pose a question, what custom villains could you see becoming heroes to fight the threat to the multiverse, and why, bonus points for new "redeemed" hero names. (i.e. Harpy, Luminary, etc.)

To get the ball rolling, a villain I could see being converted:

Villain Name: Gray

Hero Name: Fusion

Why: When Gray was defeated by his nemesis, Vanish, he thought his life was over, figuring that he couldn't even use his new powers to take his revenge. But instead of being locked up, Vanish offered to help Gray control his powers, and with a few of Tachyon's inventions, Gray was able to do just that, and now he fights as the hero known as Fusion, just in time to lend his support against the would be god: OblivAeon.

Okay, this got me stewing. I like the idea of trying to convert the Cauldron's cool villain Gray into the new hero Fusion -- but I thought I'd toss this out to the community instead of just trying to do it on my own.

For starters, here are the classic Gray cards originally done by Matthew Bishop (tosx):

Villain Character Card, Front (Walking Nuclear Reactor)
-----------------------------
Setup:
At the start of the game, put Gray's villain character cards into play, "Walking Nuclear Reactor" side up. Search the villain deck for 1 copy of Chain Reaction and put it into play. Shuffle the villain deck.

Game play:
- At the end of the villain turn, if there are 3 or more Radiation cards in play, flip Gray's villain character cards and destroy 1 environment card.
- At the end of the villain turn, Gray deals the hero target with the highest HP (H)-1 energy damage.
- Whenever a Radiation card is destroyed, destroy 1 hero ongoing or equipment card and Gray deals each non-villain target (H)-1 energy damage.

Advanced: Whenever a Radiation card is destroyed, destroy a second hero ongoing or equipment card.

Villain Character Card, Back (Catastrophic Meltdown)
- At the start of the villain turn, if there is are 1 or 0 Radiation cards in play, flip Gray's villain character cards.
- At the start of the villain turn, destroy all but 2 hero ongoing or equipment cards. Gray deals each hero target H times 2 energy damage. Play the top card of the villain deck.
- Whenever a Radiation card is destroyed, Gray deals (H)-1 energy damage to the last hero that destroyed a Radiation card.

Advanced: Reduce damage dealt to villain targets by 1.

Radiation (Qty: 12)
Radioactive Cascade (Qty: 2)
- When this card enters play, Gray deals the hero with the highest HP X energy damage, where X is 2 plus the number of Radiation cards in play.
When another villain card is destroyed, destroy this card.

Mutated Wildlife (Qty: 2, HP: 6)
- Increase damage dealt by environment cards by 1. Whenever a villain target would be dealt damage by an environment card, redirect that damage to the hero target with the highest HP.
At the end of the villain turn, play the top card of the environment deck.

Irradiated Touch (Qty: 2, HP: 6)
- At the end of the villain turn, Gray deals the hero target with the second highest HP (H)-2 melee and (H)-2 energy damage.
When this card is destroyed, Gray deals each hero target 1 energy damage.

Blight the Land (Qty: 3, HP: 8)
- At the end of the villain turn, this card deals each non-villain target 2 toxic damage and each Radiation card regains 2HP.

Chain Reaction (Qty: 3, HP: 3)
- At the end of the villain turn, put a random Radiation card from the villain trash into play.
Then, this card deals the X hero targets with the lowest HP 1 energy damage each, where X is the number of Radiation cards in play.

Ongoing (Qty: 3)
Contamination (Qty: 1)
- Whenever a hero deals damage to a villain target, that hero must destroy 1 of their ongoing or equipment cards.
Destroy this card when (H) hero cards are destroyed this way in one round.

Heavy Radiation (Qty: 1)
- Reduce damage dealt to Gray by 1 for each Radiation card in play.
At the end of the villain turn, if there are no Radiation cards in play, play the top card of the villain deck.

Living Reactor (Qty: 1)
- Whenever Gray deals damage to a hero target, either increase that damage by 1 or that player must discard a card.

One-shot (Qty: 7)
Critical Mass (Qty: 2)
- Search the villain deck and trash for all copies of Chain Reaction and put them into play. Move 1 copy of Unstable Isotope from the villain trash to the villain deck. Shuffle the villain deck.
Gray deals himself 2 energy damage.

Nuclear Fire (Qty: 2)
- Gray deals the 2 hero targets with the highest HP (H)-1 energy damage each.
Gray deals the 2 hero targets with the lowest HP (H)-2 fire damage each.

Unstable Isotope (Qty: 3)
- Reveal cards from the top of the villain deck until 2 Radiation cards are revealed. Put those cards into play and discard the rest.

Minion (Qty: 3)
Alistair Winters (Qty: 1, HP: 5)
- Increase damage dealt to hero targets by 1.
Hero targets cannot regain HP.

Unwitting Henchmen (Qty: 2, HP: 5)
- At the end of the villain turn, destroy 1 equipment card.
If a card is destroyed this way, Gray regains 3HP. Otherwise this card deals the hero target with the highest HP 1 melee damage.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3ktd8gfjZr1aFJEYm1m...

And now, here are the templates for the new Fusion cards, based on the classic Gray cards. How would you guys think to convert them?

(BTW--I was uncertain about whether to make Contamination a card that messes with Villain equipment, etc., or just change it to an Energized! card that buffs Hero equipment. Any thoughts?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wendt
msg tools
So as an idea when I first thought of converting this guy, I was thinking his major mechanic would be doing big damage, that would affect heroes, which could be negated and/ or decreased by equipment, I also think that radiation cards would work as buffs/debuffs, perhaps doing damage to Fusion, sorta like the stranger. The idea being that Gray is better in control of his powers, but needs something like his "generic herotech-limiter/emitter" to avoid killing his friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool 'shop with Dawn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just stumbled onto this thread and this looks awesome! I like Indigos idea about him doing big damage and that it might possibly affect heroes and that could be decreased by equipment. Not sure what that would look like exactly, but it sounds cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Off the top of my head, Grey's main schtick gameplay-wise is that he builds radiation up and up and up till eventually he goes kaboom. As a Villain against you as heroes, you have a brief window to destroy the radiation cards and prevent said kaboom. Having the brief window is relatively delicate tactics and one the Villain's won't be able to do. So, it'd seem reasonable to keep the build up but not have the way of avoiding the kaboom. Kaboom is inevitable!

Radiation cards seem like they'd be Ongoings, so maybe he plays lots of little ongoings that build up and up till he destroys them. Maybe a bunch (20 or so cards total?) of Radiations with a template like...

Fusion
Innate Power: Play a Radiation card and draw a card OR trigger the Meltdown effect of all Radiation cards in play.

Toxic Wound (Ongoing, Radiation)
Play this next to a target. At the end of your turn, Fusion deals the target next to this 2 energy damage.
At the start of your turn, Fusion deals himself 1 energy damage.
Meltdown: Fusion deals the target next to this 3 energy damage, then destroy this.

Isotope Instability (Ongoing, Radiation)
At the end of your turn, draw 2 cards and discard 2 cards.
Meltdown: Fusion draws 2 cards, then destroy this.

Blighted Wind (Ongoing, Radiation)
Power: Fusion deals each non-hero target 2 toxic damage.
Meltdown: Destroy up to 2 environment cards, then destroy this.

Chain Reaction (Ongoing, Radiation)
Power: Fusion deals a target X energy damage, where X is the number of radiation cards in play plus 1.
Meltdown: Fusion deals a target X energy damage, where X is the number of radiation cards in play and your trash, then destroy this.

Radiation cards would all do *something*, ping him for 1 every turn, and when Meltdown'd destroy themselves and do *something vaguely related to the original thing*

That way you have an interesting tension - he can play Radiation cards pretty fast, but the more you have out the more he hurts himself, so it eventually becomes necessary to cash them in with a Meltdown that burns them all for a big explosive turn. Then you could build some other cards around it (maybe one that reveals from your deck till a Radiation and puts it into play? An ongoing that says first time each turn dealt energy damage, gain that much HP instead? A Keep Moving style tutor for radiation?)

Just a thought, would need some more analysis (and definitely more balancing!) For a start, don't know how having "Radiation" as a keyword would interact with Grey being the Villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going off Adelphophage's idea, what about something like this:

Fusion
Innate Power:
Draw a card. You may play a Radiation card.

Unstable Isotope (Ongoing, Radiation)
At the end of your turn, draw 2 cards and discard a card.
Power: Fusion draws 2 cards, then destroy this card.

Chain Reaction (Ongoing, Radiation)
At the start of your turn Fusion deals 1 target 4 energy damage, a second target 3 energy damage, and a third target 2 energy damage
Power: Fusion deals 1 target X energy damage, where X is the number of radiation cards in play and your trash, then destroy this card.

Energized (Ongoing, Radiation)
Play this card next to a hero. +1 damage dealt to and by the hero this card is next to.
Power: The hero this card is next to may use a power now. Then destroy this card.

Contamination (Ongoing, Radiation)

Play this next to a target. At the end of your turn, Fusion deals the target next to this card 2 energy damage.
Power: Fusion deals the target next to this 3 energy damage, then destroy this card.

Blight the Land (Ongoing, Radiation)

At the start of your turn, Fusion deals each non-hero target 2 toxic damage.
Power: Destroy up to 2 environment cards, then destroy this card.

Critical Mass (One-Shot)
Fusion deals himself 3 energy damage and destroys all Radiation cards. Fusion then deals all non-hero targets X energy damage. Where X equals the number of Radiation cards destroyed this way.

Heavy Radiation (Ongoing)
Fusion deals +1 damage to the environment.

Living Reactor (Ongoing)
Whenever a radiation card is destroyed fusion regains 2 HP.

Mutated Wildlife (Ongoing, Radiation)
-1 damage dealt to and by the environment

Radioactive Cascade (One-Shot)
Fusion deals 1 target 3 energy damage.

Irradiated Touch (Ongoing, Radiation)
Play this card next to a non-hero target. Fusion deals that target +1 damage.
Power: Until the start of your next turn the non-hero target next to this card cannot deal damage. Destroy this card.

Nuclear Fire (One-Shot)
Fusion deals all non-hero targets 5 energy damage and then deals all targets 2 energy damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Looks very cool! The Radiation stacks up and gives him more and more start of turn effects, but the energy damage builds up and up too, so he starts cracking them for his power to get extra effects and keep from dying.

Chain Reaction seems a bit crazy - a free Chain lightning (already one of the best One-shots!) every turn? Maybe the Chain lightning knock off should be the Power effect?

Unstable Isotope could probably stand to be draw 3 cards - you're already giving up a play and a power so this would bring it on par with Glacial Structure (which sucks).

Maybe Critical Mass could be an Unload ripoff that lets him use as many powers as Radiations, letting him blow up his entire field in one go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are great ideas! so this is what we have now:

Fusion
Innate Power:

Unstable Isotope (Ongoing, Radiation)(x3)
Power: Fusion draws 3 cards, then destroy this card.

Chain Reaction (Ongoing, Radiation)(x3)
At the start of your turn Fusion deals 1 target 2 energy damage and a second target 1 energy damage
Power: Fusion deals 1 target 4 energy damage, a second target 3 energy damage, and a third target 2 energy damage, then destroy this card.

Energized (Ongoing, Radiation)(x3)
Play this card next to a hero. +1 damage dealt to and by the hero this card is next to.
Power: The hero this card is next to may use a power now. Then destroy this card.

Contamination (Ongoing, Radiation)(x3)

Play this next to a target. At the end of your turn, Fusion deals the target next to this card 2 energy damage.
Power: Fusion deals the target next to this 3 energy damage, then destroy this card.

Blight the Land (Ongoing, Radiation)(x3)
At the start of your turn, Fusion deals each non-hero target 2 toxic damage.

Critical Mass (One-Shot)(x3)
Fusion deals himself 3 energy damage, then Fusion may use as many powers as radiation cards currently in play.

Heavy Radiation (Ongoing, Limited)(x3)
Fusion deals +1 damage to the environment.

Living Reactor (Ongoing, Limited)(x3)

Mutated Wildlife (Ongoing, Radiation)(x3)

Radioactive Cascade (One-Shot)(x4)
Fusion deals 1 target 3 energy damage and himself 1 energy damage.

Irradiated Touch (Ongoing, Radiation)(x3)
Power: Until the start of your next turn the non-hero target next to this card cannot deal damage. Destroy this card.

Nuclear Fire (One-Shot)(x3)
Fusion deals all non-hero targets 5 energy damage and then deals all targets 2 energy damage.

probably still need like one more card? if we were to put about three of each in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

could maybe use the art from this card in mara's deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
For your image from Mara's deck, maybe...
Spontaneous Decay (One-Shot): Fusion deals himself 3 toxic damage, then reveal cards from your deck until 2 radiation cards are revealed. Play them both and shuffle the other revealed cards back into your deck.

If we need them, we also have some other images. My vague ideas would be...

(assuming we use something else for incap)
Meltdown (One-shot): Destroy any number of radiation cards. Deal each non-hero target X energy damage or deal one non-hero target twice X irreducible energy damage, where X is the number of cards destroyed.
(Similar to your old Critical Mass, combines with the new version to give you two options for cashing in lots of radiations before they kill you, lots of triggered effects or big damage)

No good ideas for this one, might not need it

(pretty severely cropped)
Neutron burst (One-Shot): Deal a target X+1 toxic damage, where X is the number of radiation cards in play.

Control rods (Equipment): The first time each turn Fusion would deal himself energy damage, he instead gains that much HP.
Gives you a reason to keep one radiation around for sorta free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are great ideas! I definitely like the Spontaneous decay(One-Shot)and the Neutron burst (One-shot)! We don't necessarily need to crop the telescoping staff card. Gray is just shooting to the left of cricket haha. I also like your Meltdown(one-shot) idea. I love the control rods(equipment) idea! My favorite of the bunch but, not sure how sold I am on the artwork from that card with the tattoo twins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
It's been a while since I've been on the forum -- it's cool to see the very different ideas that people had for the same cards. You've all inspired me to plop these up there now...

Remember: All of this art was done by the incomparable Matthew Bishop (tosx)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
Maybe these could even work like this? I dunno...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
That's some nice image manipulation, Revkev (of course, off some amazing original images by tosx!). Explosion looks especially nice - although we should bear in mind we need to save a pair of images for the two sides of his character card.

The art of Nuclear shield certainly looks like he's defending Vanish (rather than being dropped from the stratosphere by her as in the original!), but just redirecting doesn't feel... nuclear somehow. Maybe if dealt damage when his friends were damaged? Alternately, if the art was zoomed back out so he is being dropped it could be a human bomb card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
StrikeByFire wrote:
Those are great ideas! I definitely like the Spontaneous decay(One-Shot)and the Neutron burst (One-shot)! We don't necessarily need to crop the telescoping staff card. Gray is just shooting to the left of cricket haha. I also like your Meltdown(one-shot) idea. I love the control rods(equipment) idea! My favorite of the bunch but, not sure how sold I am on the artwork from that card with the tattoo twins.

Maybe for the control rods if the name/flavour text was changed so it was more obviously some kind of black market part it would make more sense to have the twins in the art?

Looking back at your original cards, I had some more thoughts...
Blight the Land seems a bit too powerful at 2 damage to everyone each turn - compare to Cold Snap/Electrical Storm that do 1 and are plenty good cards, maybe this should be 1 too?

Nuclear Fire as compared to Rampage is a step up, 7 damage to baddies and 2 to you vs 5 to baddies and 2 to you (bearing in mind Rampage is already one of Haka's best cards!). Maybe 3 to all then 2 to friends?

Heavy Radiation seems a bit of a niche card and doesn't quite fit the card art, maybe something more defensive? Perhaps something like "Reduce the first damage dealt to Fusion each turn by a non-hero source by X, where X is the number of radiation cards he has in play". Good tanking on the face of it, but then you realize that the more radiation you have shielding him, the more he punches himself in the face each turn. Not too sure on this one.

Blight the Land and Mutated Wildlife both have the same Power effect, one probably needs to change? Mutated Wildlife makes the most sense as the environment disabler given the art, Blight the Land with a name change would make sense doing something else - maybe destroy an ongoing?

Finally, was thinking that the 1 energy damage at start of turn might be a bit easily worked around. For example, throw and Energy Bracer on Fusion and he can have as many as we wants out at no cost - maybe it should be irreducible energy damage, or have a "if not dealt damage this way, destroy this card" clause (although I prefer the former as it takes less card space).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
Adelphophage wrote:
we need to save a pair of images for the two sides of his character card.

What, you don't like these?

Yeah, I know that they mean that we couldn't use Conduit, but hey...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to implement all the new ideas the best I could. I might of missed one. Also I went ahead and did a little bit of preliminary balancing as far as the number of each card in the deck. I think this should be about what we have now:

Fusion
Innate Power:

At the start of your turn, Fusion deals himself 1 irreducible energy damage.

At the start of your turn Fusion deals 1 target 2 energy damage and a second target 1 energy damage
Power: Fusion deals 1 target 4 energy damage, a second target 3 energy damage, and a third target 2 energy damage, then destroy this card.

(changed the power to help Fusion get some of his radiations back out of his trash since he might need to burn a few to stay alive or if he uses "Critical Mass". Also I thought it was fitting for the name of the card.)
At the start of your turn, Fusion deals each non-hero target 1 toxic damage.
Power: Search for up to 3 Radiation cards from your trash and shuffle them back into your deck, then destroy this card.

Critical Mass (One-Shot)(x2)
Fusion deals himself 3 energy damage, then Fusion may use as many powers as radiation cards currently in play.

Heavy Radiation (Ongoing, Radiation)(x2)
Reduce the first damage dealt to Fusion each turn by a non-hero target by X, where X is the number of radiation cards he has in play.
At the start of your turn, Fusion deals himself 1 irreducible energy damage or destroy this card.

Living Reactor (Ongoing, Limited)(x2)

Mutated Wildlife (Ongoing, Radiation)(x3)

Radioactive Cascade (One-Shot)(x3)
Fusion deals 1 target 3 energy damage and himself 1 irreducible energy damage.

Nuclear Fire (One-Shot)(x2)
Fusion deals all non-hero targets 3 energy damage and then deals all targets 2 energy damage.

Spontaneous Decay (One-Shot)(x2)

Fusion deals himself 3 toxic damage, then reveal cards from your deck until 2 radiation cards are revealed. Put them both into play and shuffle the other revealed cards back into your deck.

Neutron Burst (One-Shot) (x2)
Deal 1 target x+1 toxic damage where x is the number of radiation cards in play.

Illumination (One-Shot)
(Similar to the “Spontaneous Decay” current text)
Reveal the top 3 cards of any deck.
Put them back on top of the deck in any order.

Nuclear Shield (Radiation, Limited)(x2)
Any damage that would be dealt to another hero may be redirected to this card instead.

Conduit (Ongoing)
(probably can’t use the current art and might have replaced it with “Heavy Radiations” new text.)
Play this card next to a villain target.
Whenever that target would deal damage to Fusion, you may instead increase Fusion’s HP by X, where X is the amount of damage that would have been dealt.
At the start of your turn, destroy this card or Fusion deals himself 1 irreducible toxic damage.

Explosion (One-Shot)(x2)
Fusion deals 5 melee damage to 1 non-hero target. If he does, then he also deals 1 toxic damage to all hero targets, including himself.

So that makes 40 cards if I counted right. Fusion might need a little more than 22 health with all the damage he is going to be doing to himself. maybe 26-28? what do you guys think? anymore ideas/criticisms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a little bit of playtesting Fusion doesn't have any trouble with getting or playing radiation cards so I don't think we need Spontaneous Decay. He does need the Heals though so I suggest giving him 4 Living Reactor cards instead of 2 and taking Spontaneous Decay down to 0 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
If he needs more life gain I'd vote for 2 x Control rods instead of more living reactors - give it a bit more variety and pushes in a different direction to Living Reactor. Reactor wants you to play them fast and destroy them fast with Critical Mass (or Meltdown if it finds its way in), Control rods wants you to keep a few out more or less consistently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lol I forgot to put control rods and meltdown on the list! My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this again : )

(x40 cards)
Fusion
Innate Power:

Power: Search for up to 3 Radiation cards from your trash and shuffle them back into your deck, then destroy this card.

Meltdown (One-Shot)(x2)
(Instead of Nuclear Fire since this can potentially do almost the same thing without the team damage.)
Destroy any number of radiation cards. Deal each non-hero target X energy damage or deal one non-hero target twice X irreducible energy damage, where X is the number of cards destroyed.

Heavy Radiation (Ongoing, Radiation, Limited)(x2)
Reduce the first damage dealt to Fusion each turn by a non-hero target by X, where X is the number of radiation cards he has in play.
At the start of your turn, Fusion deals himself 1 irreducible energy damage or destroy this card.

Living Reactor (Ongoing, Limited)(x3)
Whenever a radiation card is destroyed Fusion regains 2 HP.

Mutated Wildlife (Ongoing, Radiation)(x2)

Fusion deals 1 target 3 energy damage and himself 1 irreducible energy damage.

Neutron Burst (One-Shot) (x2)
Deal 1 target x+1 toxic damage where x is the number of radiation cards in play.

Nuclear Shield (Radiation, Limited)(6HP)(x2)
Any damage that would be dealt to another hero may be redirected to this card instead.

Explosion (One-Shot)(x2)
Fusion deals 5 energy damage to 1 non-hero target. If he does, then he also deals 1 toxic damage to all hero targets, including himself.

Control Rods (Equipment, Limited)(x2)
The first time each turn Fusion would deal himself energy damage, he instead gains that much HP.

Probably Don’t Need
Nuclear Fire (One-Shot)

(replaced by Meltdown)
Fusion deals all non-hero targets 3 energy damage and then deals all targets 2 energy damage.

Spontaneous Decay (One-Shot)
(Fusion doesn't really need help drawing cards)
Fusion deals himself 3 toxic damage, then reveal cards from your deck until 2 radiation cards are revealed. Put them both into play and shuffle the other revealed cards back into your deck.

Illumination (One-Shot)
(could be added if we wanted)

Conduit (Ongoing)
(probably can’t use the current art and basically have replaced it with “Heavy Radiations” text.)
Whenever that target would deal damage to Fusion, you may instead increase Fusion’s HP by X, where X is the amount of damage that would have been dealt.
At the start of your turn, destroy this card or Fusion deals himself 1 irreducible toxic damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks for curating this, Strikebyfire, really looks like it's developing well!

I haven't had a chance to play with this guy (Pantheon are sucking up all my playtesting time at the moment...) but looking at this again, a few notes...

Chain reaction and Contamination stack up oddly against eachother - Contamination deals 2 damage to that specific target, Chain reaction 2 and then 1 to target of your choice. When destroyed Contamination deals 3 to that target, Chain reaction 4 then 3 then 2 to targets of your choice. In both cases Chain reaction is hitting harder, more times and with more choice, one of them should probably change. My guy says that Chain Reaction is probably a bit strong?

Mutated Wildlife also has odd flavour for me - the T-rex in the picture doesn't look like it would be dealing less damage! Maybe an Agression modulator like effect that makes a target fight more on your side, and you have the power as a backup to just kill environment cards? Alternately, it doesn't NEED to be a radiation card, could just be a target that fights for Fusion? I love the art, but mechanically it's awkward to find something it makes sense for...

The power effect of Blight the Land seems deeply unexciting - my deck is full of radiations anyway, and even if there is that one super sweet card that I'd love to get in play Blight doesn't actually get it, just makes it possible that one day I might draw it. Maybe just deal 2 damage to all for the power - or if Mutated wildlife is changed this would make plenty of sense as an environment destroying power.

Heavy Radiation seems odd as although it is a Radiation, it doesn't have the Power effect like all the others. I'd say either keep it like the other Radiations for consistency (and thus ease of use for a pretty complex hero) meaning a power OR (my preference) just make it a normal ongoing. True, it won't do anything by itself if you don't have any radiations out, but that's fine as he shouldn't have much problem getting radiation in play - and the uselessness without radiation is already true of Control Rods and Living Reactor anyway.

Nuclear Shield is a fine card in isolation but doesn't somehow feel right for Fusion - why and how exactly is he shielding people? How do his skills in puking out radiation make him a particularly effective wall?

Radioactive cascade is pretty weak for a one-shot. 3 damage is on the bad side, and dealing himself damage on top of it is extra rough. Overall, I'd say we probably don't want Grey dealing himself too much damage with one-shots - I can take that 1 damage to deal a mediocre hit to someone else or to keep any of my cool radiation effects up for another turn. Maybe 2 energy and 2 toxic to a target with no drawback or somesuch?

Also, to keep things simpler (this guy could potentially have a lot of radiations out) I'd suggest all the triggers on Unstable Isotope, Blight the Land, Chain reaction etc. get moved to either ALL start of turn or ALL end of turn. My preference would be start of turn as that is the same time the damage is dealt, so the player can just say "Right, start of turn, deal with all my radiation junk..." rather than having to check in twice. It's a little thing, but anything to make it easier for the player is a good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay made those changes. I think I turned all the end of turns into start of turns. Let me know if I missed one. Thanks for all your suggestions! Fusion is turning into a pretty sweet hero. This is what we have now:

(x40 cards)
Fusion
Innate Power:

At the start of your turn, draw 2 cards and discard a card.

(Now deals less damage per turn and the power deals a little less damage)
At the start of your turn Fusion deals 1 target 1 energy damage and a second target 1 energy damage
Power: Fusion deals 1 target 3 energy damage, a second target 2 energy damage, then destroy this card.

(made 4 damage instead of 3 on the power to help differentiate between it and chain reaction)
Play this next to a target. At the start of your turn, Fusion deals the target next to this card 2 energy damage.
Power: Fusion deals the target next to this 4 energy damage, then destroy this card.

(changed power )
Power: Destroy up to 2 environment cards , then destroy this card.

Play this card next to a non-hero target. Increase damage dealt by Fusion to that target by 1.

Heavy Radiation (Ongoing, Limited)(x2)
(no longer has keyword Radiation)

Living Reactor (Ongoing, Limited)(x4)
(Changed the quantity to 4 because both Critical Mass and Meltdown both potentially play off this card)
Whenever a radiation card is destroyed Fusion regains 2 HP.

Control Rods (Equipment, Limited)(x3)
(Changed the quantity to 3 because this card helps Fusion to be able to play more cards each turn. Basically gives you 2 free Radiations in play. 1 is healing you so the damage on the second cancels out)
The first time each turn Fusion would deal himself energy damage, he instead gains that much HP.

(Beefed up)
Fusion deals 1 target 2 energy damage and 2 toxic damage.

Meltdown (One-Shot)(x2)
Destroy any number of radiation cards. Deal each non-hero target X energy damage or deal one non-hero target twice X irreducible energy damage, where X is the number of cards destroyed.

Neutron Burst (One-Shot)(x2)

Explosion (One-Shot)(x2)
(could make the 1 toxic damage be dealt to all targets?)
Fusion deals 5 energy damage to 1 non-hero target. If he does, then he also deals 1 toxic damage to all hero targets, including himself.

Radioactive Decay (One-Shot)(x2)
(spin on Spontaneous Decay to get some of Fusion’s more powerful radiation cards back into play.)
Fusion deals himself 3 toxic damage, then take 2 radiation cards from your trash and put them both into play.

Probably Don’t Need
Illumination (One-Shot)

Nuclear Fire (One-Shot)

Spontaneous Decay (One-Shot)

Conduit (Ongoing)

Nuclear Shield (Radiation, Limited)(6HP)
(doesn’t exactly fit the character, but is a nice additional Radiation card)

Mutated Wildlife (Ongoing, Radiation)
(No clue how to make this card usable. In playtesting always the first card I discard.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Osborn
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also Heavy Radiation as a Radiation card could say:
(as a radiation card Fusion would automatically get -1 damage and with the current text Fusion is getting dealt the 1 irreducible damage just like a radiation card)

Heavy Radiation (Ongoing, Radiation)(x2)
Power: Until the start of your next turn Fusion is immune to damage, then destroy this card.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I quite like that heavy radiation effect, makes sense as a souped up version of the base effect and also give good contrast to the basic effect - if you have tons of radiation out keeping it around is smart, if it's your only one you're probably better off blowing it up. Nice design!

PS:I know we're keeping the card names the same as Grey's so we can keep track of art easier, but assuming this makes it to prime time, I'd suggest Hard Radiation as a card name - ties in a bit more with the effect and is a genuine physics term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.