Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Will KS Modules be available at retail? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi fellow Mythics, I did not add any of modules during the campaign and now I'm kind of regretting it. Does anyone know if the modules will be available at retail? I assumed they would, which is why I did not add them on but now I'm not so sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
As far as I know, there is no final answer if / how the modules from the KS will make it into retail.

You might want to read through this:

http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/1300/module-q...

My educated guess would be though, that they will hit retail at some point, because:

- The amount of work that goes into a module is enormous. Doing this "just" for the KS-crowd would be insane IMO.

- Guided story telling is, what most people want from MYTH. The make-your-own-adventure approach tanked. Hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
js379 wrote:
nimmzwei wrote:
As far as I know, there is no final answer if / how the modules from the KS will make it into retail.

You might want to read through this:

http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/1300/module-q...

My educated guess would be though, that they will hit retail at some point, because:

- The amount of work that goes into a module is enormous. Doing this "just" for the KS-crowd would be insane IMO.

- Guided story telling is, what most people want from MYTH. The make-your-own-adventure approach tanked. Hard.

I would argue that it tanked because of execution, not because people don't like the concept. The original quest cards for freeform play were way too vague and it really hurt the rhythm of the game to have to stop for several minutes and come up with house rules for the quests whenever you came to a new tile. Also, the lack of any sort if difficulty rating for the various enemies, aside from the bosses, is a major problem when players want to determine an appropriate challenge based on the current advancement of their heroes.

I have to disagree. From my experience with the game and playing it with a lot of different gaming groups, people who like adventure mode (and I'm one of them) rarely have a problem with it's shortcomings.

My intend wasn't to make adventure mode look "bad". I really enjoy both game modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it really depends on your game group. Many people prefer the scripted setup that will be the modules. Others prefer the freeform adventure style. I like both! I went for the all-in modules. Can't have too much content for this game if you ask me!

As for purchasing them retail. I believe they said they would be available at some point, but most likely they will only contain 10 minions, two captains and the commander. If you wanted more figures to be able to handle a double spawn point you would have to purchase additional figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Zentaur wrote:
Hi fellow Mythics, I did not add any of modules during the campaign and now I'm kind of regretting it. Does anyone know if the modules will be available at retail? I assumed they would, which is why I did not add them on but now I'm not so sure.

Taken from an interview with Kenny back in Sept 2015 (on their website forum)

Notice he says IF the modules are released into retail...

I haven't seen any commitment one way or another. I am certain they will be available on the open market once backers receive, so at a minimum you'll have a chance to pickup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulfengaard Hrafnson
United States
Cameron Park
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if they were consistent with their labeling, then the modules were not KS exclusive. There were a few elements that were marked exclusive, but not the modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we look at Recon, we can speculate their plans. Recon is composed of 2 different core boxes. One of them had enough printing to go into retail, the 2nd didn't (only enough to sell at conventions and their website).

So they will probably trickle out to retail and only if each one before it sells well enough to warrant the next.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
I think they'll make it to retail so wouldn't worry too much.
Jorune has the right track as one sells out or sells well the next will come into line.

My wife and I just started playing Myth in the past month and really enjoying it. The adventure mode is fun and all but we really enjoy story driven games so are super excited for the modules. Pure personal taste of course.

Overall this really is a great game especially with the 2.0 clarifications and updates we are excited to play through a story and advance our characters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Okay ..... because I really felt like some were offering incorrect information to the OP, I went back and culled through the MegaCon KS comments looking for the word "retail" in any response. Semi-scientific/brute force approach.

Here's what I was able to determine.

It was quite clear that MegaCon is not planning on releasing ALL the Journeyman modules to retail. It was stated several times during the course of the campaign. They said either 2 or 3 would be sold in retail (never a clear response)

At one point they were quite candid saying they simply didn't know how many would see retail (meaning zero might see retail). I had to chuckle at the broad definition of those becoming KS/Conference Exclusive.

Based on this research, I don't think it's prudent to tell the OP not to worry - especially considering where they are located (Singapore). It is clear to me that every module won't make it to retail. Based on what I found above, it's quite possible a majority of modules won't see retail. Yes, they will have some excess inventory that will sell on their website or conferences, but we're not talking about huge warehouses of the stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It'd be nice if they could send some copies to online retailers in places like Australia. Otherwise shipping charges will probably be pretty brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Darby_ wrote:
It'd be nice if they could send some copies to online retailers in places like Australia. Otherwise shipping charges will probably be pretty brutal.

Yeah, I feel for our international Myth friends from that perspective. I suppose there's so little demand that it's tough for the OLGS to justify even purchasing a pallet of games/modules from MegaCon.

If you ever needed an excuse to come to GenCon, here it is. cool Make your plans for GenCon 2017.

Edit: I just found this on KS - the community tab on the project. Here's the breakdown of backers by country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Even #10 has 50 backers. Means in the Asia-Pac area, it might be under 100 in total.

That's why for us, if we really like the game, looks like the KS is the best chance of getting the games and associated modules at a reasonable price including shipping. We won't get that chance again.

There's only a handful (literally) of Myth players in my country. Looks like it's the same in the OP's country. (Our neighbour).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all

Thanks for the responses so far! Showing yet again the awesomeness of the BGG community.

Answer wasn't what I was hoping for but at least I can make a more informed decision now. It would seem like I might need to see if I can add the modules to my pledge at this point.

Cheers

Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.