Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am really fond of crafting* in games. I mostly encounter this mechanic in electronic games, like Cataclysm, Don't Starve and others.

I would like to try board games that feature some sort of crafting.

I suppose Robinson Crusoe would be a nice example - I haven't managed to try it yet, so I'm not sure.

In Alchemists I don't really feel that I'm crafting something. The only situation in which I have some real contact with the results of my work, is when I test a bad potion on myself.
In all other situations the potion is silently consumed by the game in exchange for points, money, or information. You never get to hold an elixir you just created.

Potion-Making captures the theme pretty well, but unfortunately it's unsatisfying as a game.

These are the ones I know of.
Can you recommend me some other board games that feature some sort of crafting? (And at least a decent gameplay.)

*creating objects from raw materials or from other objects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death: Monster has ressource gathering and crafting in it.
A little pricey though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a posting that would fit in the Recommendations sub-forum...

Anyway, try King's Forge which uses different dice for different materials and has plenty of cards for dice manipulation in order to match the requirements for the recipes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has been sitting on my maybe pile for a while, so apologies that I can't describe it in more depth.

Battle Merchants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
Sounds like a posting that would fit in the Recommendations sub-forum...
Thank you. I'm ashamed I have missed that.

Also, King's Forge does sound interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rudolph
Canada
Langdon
Alberta
flag msg tools
GIR, quickly, ride the pig!
badge
Yaaaaaay! I don't know what you just said!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forge War. You're a blacksmith and control a group of adventurers. You need to manipulate workers in the mines to gather raw materials, purchase weapon plans, pick up job contracts to send your adventurers on, and then outfit them with weapons that you make so that they have the necessary strength to complete those contracts. The game can be pretty long if you're playing the advanced game, but my wife and I both love it, the crafting, and the sense of accomplishment you get from all of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Byers
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artificium

This overlooked little game offers some resource conversion mixed in with some drafting. Very fun and light game that we really enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ars Alchimia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Helvetia or Craftsmen.
The Pillars of the Earth also has crafting. Or you could go with Patchwork for quilt crafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh My Goods! is a small 30-min game completely about building and operating production chains.

Kanban: Driver's Edition is a much bigger, deeper, heavier game built around automobile assembly line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carnofago wrote:
Ars Alchimia?
And here I thought I have seen every alchemy game on BGG. But I haven't considered an alternative spelling.

Thank you for all the recommendations so far. I'll defintely check everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Potion Explosion I've seen pretty positive reviews though it seems rather light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Arle sort of has a crafting system. You collect resources (like wool) and change them into other resources (like clothing) which you then exchange for something else (points, food, or a building.) The end result is a trade, after crafting. 5 Wood + a horse = a cart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora is all about resource conversion. Very much on the euro side of the divide, but well worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo (a.k.k. Rokoko)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
There is some crafting in The 7th Continent, though it's not at all the main point of the game. But it has some similarities to Don't starve, so there it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played The Witcher Adventure Game, only the video games. They are heavy on crating. Does the board game have any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board game sucks. It's like Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
valzi wrote:
The board game sucks. It's like Monopoly.

I didn't really enjoy it, but it's NOTHING like Monopoly.
It's more like Runebound (Second Edition) with slightly more interesting die-rolling and it plays quicker.

If you mean it's like Monopoly in that they both suck, then you're fine to feel that way. But since the question was if it had any crafting and NOT what's the game like? or is it any good? then you weren't exactly helping.

To actually answer the question, I never felt like I was crafting anything in the game. You kind of level up based on cards you gain and you get the option to spend resources on things. But it feels like buying stuff, not combining resources to create something based on your choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
I haven't played The Witcher Adventure Game, only the video games. They are heavy on crating. Does the board game have any?
No, it doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.