Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Sentinels of the Multiverse: OblivAeon» Forums » General

Subject: Almost reaching 1 million - what will be the secret stretch goal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
Avatar
mb
Perhaps an extra villain?



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Maybe a new environment!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In Q&A last week Christopher said it would be six cards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. That's mildly disappointing.

I was hoping it would be like a PDF of the Sentinels storyline or something. That would have been suitably epic for the final stretch goal and wouldn't have increased their costs very much.

I am really curious to see what these final 6 cards are that are apparently worthy of being the million-dollar capstone to this kickstarter. Maybe they're surprise me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Hm. That's mildly disappointing.

I was hoping it would be like a PDF of the Sentinels storyline or something. That would have been suitably epic for the final stretch goal and wouldn't have increased their costs very much.

I am really curious to see what these final 6 cards are that are apparently worthy of being the million-dollar capstone to this kickstarter. Maybe they're surprise me.


Not to mention that they have said over and over again that it will allow them to tell all the story they wanted to in the first arc(with the card game). I'm really interested to find out what it is as well.

Almost there, $13,110 to go!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is they will be epilogue versions of the Freedom Five + one more.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
+ one more.


Unity or I riot.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I was hoping it would be like a PDF of the Sentinels storyline or something. That would have been suitably epic for the final stretch goal and wouldn't have increased their costs very much.

This I would love.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Walter
United States
Fort Morgan
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Hm. That's mildly disappointing.

I was hoping it would be like a PDF of the Sentinels storyline or something. That would have been suitably epic for the final stretch goal and wouldn't have increased their costs very much.

I am really curious to see what these final 6 cards are that are apparently worthy of being the million-dollar capstone to this kickstarter. Maybe they're surprise me.


I was thinking along the lines of a Sentinels story line as well. They had a kickstarter, Story War: Sentinel Conflict & "Cosmic Contest" Comic Book, that they cancelled that would have had a sentinels comic book. That is what I was hoping for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If the final stretch goal really is 6 new variant cards, then that will mean that the last $500,000 of funding has amounted to 10 new cards - $50,000 each. Say what you want but to me that seems like an awfully disappointing final stretch for the Sentinels line. Especially since the first $500,000 produced something like 300+ new cards (the 6 new heroes alone are 246 cards). I think the difference is pretty striking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also diminishing returns. The whole point of stretch goals is that as you get more units, you can afford to put in more content thanks to the economies of scale.

The first $250k pays for X units. The second $250k needs to pay for X units, plus new stretch goal content for 2*X units. The third $250k needs to pay for X units, plus stretch goals for 3*X units. And so on.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Citizen Badger wrote:
Not trying to get down on you, just that there's always another side to things.


Yeah, I get the point and I do agree with it. But when it comes to business and consumers, logic usually doesn't go too far. What things feel like is much more important than what they actually are like. Compare the following:

"We gave you half a million dollars and you gave us 300+ extra cards each, awesome!"

VS

"We gave you half a million dollars and you gave us 10 extra cards each... it's alright, I guess?"

Of course, you can put them both together for

"We gave you one million dollars and you gave us 310+ extra cards each, awesome!"

But still. I've been Kickstarting and preordering Sentinels products since the Infernal Relics Kickstarter. I have all the original promos (except Kvothe) and I've played nearly 150 times (physical copy) and probably close to 100 times (video game). Heck, I even have Sentinels avatar here!

To me the fact that the final Sentinels Kickstarter actually manages to reach $500 000 without any miniatures or paid addons is AMAZING already, not to mention 1 million dollars. To me as a long time fan no matter how you rationalize it, it is disappointing to see the game finally receive the huge recognition it deserves and to really go out with a bang - and all we get is 10 variant cards.

It feels disappointing and that's really all there is to it. I'm sure we're still receiving an awesome product, a great deal and everything, so I guess I'm just complaining about nothing. But the feels. They are still there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citizen Badger wrote:
DeePee wrote:
If the final stretch goal really is 6 new variant cards, then that will mean that the last $500,000 of funding has amounted to 10 new cards - $50,000 each. Say what you want but to me that seems like an awfully disappointing final stretch for the Sentinels line. Especially since the first $500,000 produced something like 300+ new cards (the 6 new heroes alone are 246 cards). I think the difference is pretty striking.


We could just as easily assume that the earlier SGs were designed at a loss to get the content out. They've hinted at this with the box, stating that the KS price is at or below what would be a sustainable cost. So these last SGs, while not blowing anyone's mind for overwhelming breadth of content could be making back those earlier losses to bring the whole campaign back into the black.

That's hard to believe given their surprise with how much money the kickstarter has brought in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonvar wrote:
In Q&A last week Christopher said it would be six cards.

Here I was hoping for a forklift to carry THE BOX OF EVERYTHING!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citizen Badger wrote:
Mandor wrote:
Citizen Badger wrote:
DeePee wrote:
If the final stretch goal really is 6 new variant cards, then that will mean that the last $500,000 of funding has amounted to 10 new cards - $50,000 each. Say what you want but to me that seems like an awfully disappointing final stretch for the Sentinels line. Especially since the first $500,000 produced something like 300+ new cards (the 6 new heroes alone are 246 cards). I think the difference is pretty striking.


We could just as easily assume that the earlier SGs were designed at a loss to get the content out. They've hinted at this with the box, stating that the KS price is at or below what would be a sustainable cost. So these last SGs, while not blowing anyone's mind for overwhelming breadth of content could be making back those earlier losses to bring the whole campaign back into the black.

That's hard to believe given their surprise with how much money the kickstarter has brought in.


So surprising that they were conveniently ready with stretch goals enough to get right to a million? Surprised at the speed of funding, maybe. Surprised at the amount, less likely.

Nothing convenient about it. They could have just taken the final 2 stretch goals and increased the funding distance from the original plan to 250k each in order to make them last a bit longer. Fairly normal for a non-miniatures kickstarter.

Of course, it's entirely possible the last stretch goal is something major rather than the handful of variant cards being speculated. In which case $1 million may have been the original plan.

It's also worth noting that OblivAeon has more than 3x the backers of GTG's previous best project, is over $1 million, and is out of stretch goals - and there's still 14 days left. Safe to assume they are surprised by the amount of funding.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Citizen Badger wrote:
So surprising that they were conveniently ready with stretch goals enough to get right to a million?

This is more a story in the form of a game than a game with a story; having histories for all the characters, knowing what big events happen in what issues and having a timelines of the entire comic book run does tend to mean they can pull stretch goals out of their arse at a moments notice because they know what is going on in their game. They may not have the exact form of it down but they know exactly what it is, and why it is relevant for this particular expansion.
When they announced the one million stretch goal they said "That is how much stuff we have left that we could possibly make for this story", the story dictates the goals, so that's all we're getting.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping for a mini expansion for an environment and villian, so we wind up with five for each.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree, it seems like the $1 million stretch goal for the final Sentinels KS should be something huge. I will kinda be bummed if it's another alternate hero card or something lame like that.

Of course it won't change anything regarding me and my pledge
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope after the update for the final stretch goal that we start getting more character bios and gameplay information.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
Wow we are spoiled on stretch goals if we are still complaining. Their is SO much stuff in this kickstarter that I am just blown away. I just found out about it today and im like look at all this STUFF!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite amazing. I feel sorry for those who miss it for one reason or another.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mahuloq wrote:
Wow we are spoiled on stretch goals if we are still complaining. Their is SO much stuff in this kickstarter that I am just blown away. I just found out about it today and im like look at all this STUFF!


I'm not complaining, just saying that $1 million on their final KS for Sentinels seems like a huge milestone, and should be appreciated for what it is
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For a minimum of $39 I think folks are getting a heck of a deal on all the additional stuff being included.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerrin2 wrote:
For a minimum of $39 I think folks are getting a heck of a deal on all the additional stuff being included.


Again, I'm not complaining about the content. Just saying it's like someone celebrating their 100th birthday and all you do is send them an e-card......
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Kerrin2 wrote:
For a minimum of $39 I think folks are getting a heck of a deal on all the additional stuff being included.


Again, I'm not complaining about the content. Just saying it's like someone celebrating their 100th birthday and all you do is send them an e-card......


Precisely.

We're not complaining that it's a bad deal, just that it's (probably) anti-climactic. For example, if they'd rearranged the rewards so that the Sentinels decks were the million dollar stretch goal, that would be awesome. 4 new hero decks is totally an appropriate capstone.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.