Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had to design a moo board game by scavenging mechanics from other games like eclipse and TI3, which mechanic will you take or reject. Here are my personal choice.

Movement: I prefer the TI 3 system as it prevent using more actions when you have larger fleet, so no paper weight ships.

Combat: I prefer something like stellar conquest because small ships cannot destroy larger ships at some point. Instead o using a table, I would use roll X dice > Y with targetting. But for example, if a destroyer rolls 2 dice, and a battleship has 3 HP, it cannot be destroyed.

Technology: Eclipse system is too random, TI3 is too confusing. I do like the 3 categories of eclipse, but maybe put a binary choice of tech at each step instead of drawing them randomly.

Colony Development: Eclipse has the best colony management. Placing cubes on the board to leave tracks open is ingenious.

Politics: I think ti3 has a better political system with cards that has unique effects. I would personally use them differently, like placing those cards in the hand of players like action cards could be an interesting solution.

Trading and Treaties: The population management of Eclipse makes it perfect for managing treaties easily by putting cubes.

Action System: I prefer TI2 where most of the turns are done simultaneously. This speed up the game play, reduce downtime between turns, and player has a better sense of what is going on.

Ship Design: Eclipse does has an innovative ship design, but it creates broken design like missile fleets with undodgeable missile even with -4 shields. I would prefer having a set of design for each race. For example, a race could have more beam weapons on their ships making the research of new beam weapons more advantageous.

Colonization: The colony ship system of eclipse is awesome. I would also extend it as troop ships that can be used to land troops on enemy planets to capture them.

Resource Management: Eclipse offer an interesting resource management system using it's 3 tracks that remains from turn to turn, but I hate the action system with minus credits income. SO you are always calculating the actions you can do up to minus your income.

Map: I don't really like the race for the core type of map even if widely used in all game. Eclipse makes connection points have a more interesting map than just plain hex. Empires of the void also has an interesting map even if not very logical. ONe thing for sure, a space map is not a land map, which is how TI3 consider it's map. Graphs connections seems the best, but eclipse even if they use hexes has some sort of graph connection.

Time Span: Instead of doing all step from exploration to extermination, which leaves only the fun in the last 2 turns. The initial exploration would be part of the setup. Then the game start when the actions starts, in the middle of the conflict between players.

That's all I can think so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Curran
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Hopefully the board / card game is good. But in the mean time, for those who don't know, they did a reboot of the computer game on Steam last night. Its in early stages where they are still changing things within the game but so far it looks good. Great voice cast to it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spike K
msg tools
I prefer something based on but not trying to recreate the same game, otherwise, why am I not playing it on PC?

X-Com the Board Game was done well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot speak to other space xxxx games, but as for Eclipse, I would:

double the number of ship designs per race

slow down mid to late game research (perhaps by removing the in-group bonuses)

double the number of turns in the game

as someone else suggested - get rid of the random research draws

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zzarathos wrote:
Hopefully the board / card game is good. But in the mean time, for those who don't know, they did a reboot of the computer game on Steam last night. Its in early stages where they are still changing things within the game but so far it looks good. Great voice cast to it too.

Are you talking about the MMO version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he is talking about this

http://masteroforion.com/

I read all the design notes and it seems pretty solid. It is very conservative with the rest of the games. Not much innovation and some borrowing from civ V, but for a reboot it can be OK. The only issue strongly discussed on the forums right now is the realtime combat resolution which apparently offer some sort of pause to give commands. Some likes the idea, some hate it. We will see how they manage this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same company as world of tanks. Which means - pay to win.

Real time combat means less strategy. MoO2 in looks but not feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a pay 2 win game. There is in fact no MMO elements, or pay to cheat. But there will probably be expansions and dlc.

There are some pro and cons which must be consired if you mupport multiplayer. This is why I liked the ideas behind endless space combat even if I hated the game. One of the compromise suggested is for the game to auto pause it self and only make certain key decisions. Else there is already a way to pause battles, so it will not look like star craft for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
It's not a pay 2 win game. There is in fact no MMO elements, or pay to cheat. But there will probably be expansions and dlc.

There are some pro and cons which must be consired if you mupport multiplayer. This is why I liked the ideas behind endless space combat even if I hated the game. One of the compromise suggested is for the game to auto pause it self and only make certain key decisions. Else there is already a way to pause battles, so it will not look like star craft for example.

Every MMO that comes out spawns people who claim that it is the ONE MMO that doesn't commit the offenses that the others have.

WoT was P2W. I have no reason to expect this to be any different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this is simply NOT an MMO. So it cannot do any of the common MMO offenses. It will have to do other kind of offenses.

So far, the price is regular version, or early access with the old games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me put some of this Pay to Win in MoO to rest...it's not

It's a full game just like Civ, Command and Conquer, Diablo, Etc. Buy it, you have it all...that simple.

Now back on topic.

I'm with you all on this...I want a kick ass Master of Orion board game. Hell, they could almost re-skin TI and do a few mods and have a hit.

There is so much I want to say right now, but I can't I do think that if this game is going to be done right it should come from a well established designer. It has all the makings to be a BIG and LONG board game (think TI), but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it actually goes that route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't expect it to be a p2w game, but I DO expect it to be "paradox-like dlcs".

I don't mind expansions, but paradox like DLC are really bad. I experienced this in warlock 2, and it's alost a joke to pay a few dolars to unlock a character when you can build that character yourself with the editor.

If they release expansion packs, I am OK with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.