1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: BGG mention in the Onion's AV Club rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt S
United States
flag msg tools
Nice to see BGG mentioned outside the gamer world. The Onion's AV Club feature, "Ask the AV Club" points to BGG in response to a boardgaming question about the game Topple.

Relevant quote:

More Games People Play

When my brother and I were little (early to mid-'80s), my mom bought us a board game for Christmas. I only remember seeing one other copy of this game in my life, also in the early '80s. No one in my family can remember what it is called, and no one I've asked can remember anything like it. The board was molded tan plastic, shaped like a hexagon. It was covered in a pattern of slots that were shaped like an asterisk so that the domino-like playing pieces could stand up in them facing forward or at an angle. One team was red and the other blue. The pieces were like dominos, only the tops came to a point. Each player started with two pieces in front of them, and took turns placing pieces on the board. The object was to build a domino-like line to your opponent's starting piece, then push your starting piece over to start a chain reaction knocking his "king" over. I could have sworn the game was named Topple, but Google searches bring up a game named Topple, and it's not the one. My mom was sure the name had something to do with knights or kings or castles, and it did have a certain medieval look/theme to the packaging. Please help, this is driving me nuts.

P.S. If anyone can help me with this, I will take them out for pizza if they are ever in Oshkosh, WI.

Paul Crowley

You owe A.V. Club intern Sarah Kantor some local pizza:

Paul, not only were you on the right track with your mystery game, it was really easy to find. You were completely right about the name, you just needed a more obsessively specific, completist source. A search at yielded two results called Topple. The first is the source of your Googling frustrations. The second, which came out in 1979, is clearly your game.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.