Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of opinion is that this game runs too long for what it is. I read somewhere (I think it might have been Mina's Fresh Cardboard blog) that with 2 players you can just play 2 rounds. Has anyone tried that and if so does it take away from the game at all? I'm trying to decide rather or not to buy the game. AP concerns me too, although with just having 2 cards to chose from each turn seems like it would help. Of course I realize there are other bonus cards you can collect. Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
A lot of opinion is that this game runs too long for what it is. I read somewhere (I think it might have been Mina's Fresh Cardboard blog) that with 2 players you can just play 2 rounds. Has anyone tried that and if so does it take away from the game at all? I'm trying to decide rather or not to buy the game. AP concerns me too, although with just having 2 cards to chose from each turn seems like it would help. Of course I realize there are other bonus cards you can collect. Thanks in advance!

Hi Roger! I should post this as a 2-player variant either in the variant forum or on my review, but we have indeed played 2 rounds with 2 players and it didn't take away from the game. It felt perfect. For us. I'm sure others will disagree, but it took the game from dragging on for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to be enjoyable to being perfect. I've been meaning to play it again this way. Perhaps this week!

I hope others who have tried playing 2 rounds with 2 players will chime in.

Also, AP may be an issue initially, but less so after a few games...as is true for many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mina! I think I will go ahead and buy the game. I read your blog and I agree with a lot of what you say, I think we have a lot of the same taste. Thanks for all you do, you bring so much to the community. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
Thanks Mina! I think I will go ahead and buy the game. I read your blog and I agree with a lot of what you say, I think we have a lot of the same taste. Thanks for all you do, you bring so much to the community. Thank you!

Thank you Roger! I hope you enjoy it! It's a very smooth experience with a classic feel. The length is really the only serious knock against it, but playing 2 rounds really does away with that concern. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is still enjoyable going 3 rounds, but I agree with Mina, the extra round makes it just a bit too long. Don't get me wrong though, we enjoy the game each time we play it, a game usually takes us around 90 minutes with just 2 players, but never does it feel like it's dragging at any point. Mind you, we don't suffer from AP at all when playing this so the turns feel rather quick.

We will play this tonight playing just 2 rounds and see what it is like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sponaugle
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm just the odd man out. I have no problem with game length at two rounds for the 3 & 4 player game. However, resource management being what it is, the game plays better at three rounds with only 2 players. Otherwise. As far as play time is concerned, that will really be controlled by the amount of AP you and your opponents get into! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulspo wrote:
However, resource management being what it is, the game plays better at three rounds with only 2 players. Otherwise. As far as play time is concerned, that will really be controlled by the amount of AP you and your opponents get into! zombie

Knowing my playing partner's AP, I am just positive we'll have to play 2 rounds in a 2 player game. Plus he gets restless if a game goes much over an hour. Me, I could play much longer and still enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it last night only going 2 rounds and finished it in under an hour.

It felt perfect playing just 2 rounds. My main concern was the board feeling less contested, yet this turned out not to be a problem as we still butted heads for majority in all four quarters.

Thanks for the advice to try it out at just 2 rounds, Mina! If you hadn't mentioned it I probably wouldn't have bothered trying it out. I love the game even more now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.