Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
48 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game – Adventures in Hyboria» Forums » Variants

Subject: Speaking of a 5-6 player expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could not help myself

It is not 100% accurate in terms of how the landscape looks, and the borders. I am only making this as a reference for trying some ideas.

Will post more pictures when I've colored it.

EDIT

Updated the image to show the board with marked provinces, province ratings and campaign tracks. Also decided to add Himelian Mountains province since last image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can share some of the ideas for the board so you can come with any input if you like

Based on what me and Mantuanwar discussed a long time ago (or so it seems) about a possible board expansion, the new board's provinces will belong to a new region known as the Far East.

Strategy cards, Adventure Cards and Story Cards will all feature provinces in the Far East.

The provinces of the Far East include: Kosala, Vendhya, Meru, Kusan, Kambuja, Khitai, Southern Hyrkania, Northern Hyrkania, Pathenia and Kara Korum. I'm omitting Uttara Kuru for the reason that is is quite small and would not fit the board's layout. I also considered splitting Hyrkania into 3 pieces, with Central Hyrkania featured in the middle; but that will up the province count to an amount that I am not 100% comfortable with. Kara Korum is a savage province with 3 plains and a province rating of 4, similar to Black Kingdoms. Pathenia, being encircled by tall mountains, is the hardest province to conquer, with a province rating of 5 and four spots on the campaign track (hills, hills, hills, plains). I'm also considering making it savage.

New kingdoms: Vendhya and Khitai.

- Vendhya starts with 5 army units and 4 emissaries, like Aquilonia and Turan. They are more like Turan in terms of playability and strengths.

- Khitai starts with 4 army units, 4 emissaries, and 1 sorcery. They are moderate in both sorcery and military.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Yes I have a version of a 5-6 player map prepared but am waiting for the Expansion to actually emerge before going any further. I somehow doubt we will ever see an official 5-6 player, but who knows!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if this expansion gains traction after such a long delay, they might consider doing another expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It gained traction - it was Kickstarted. But I don't think it would work a second time.
I have not decided yet whether the new adventure/story card system lends itself better to a 5/6 player expansion than the old adventure system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It gained traction, but lost it a bit as it was delayed a full year. Having tested it, the new story card system works for a bigger board. The only problem is interaction as I see it now, thats why I'm going to test a few things, like Ports and Ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a list of card names for Vendhya. Not going to reveal any of the effects just yet

EVENTS

Revelations of the Third Eye
You gain two sorcery tokens. Then you may take an intrigue action.

Love for the Holy Family
You receive two gold and draw one kingdom card.

Grand Bazaar
You either receive three gold, or draw one strategy card and one kingdom card.

Silver Tongue
Move up to two of your emissaries, then start an intrigue contest in a province where you have an emissary. Add one success to your contest roll.

Boon of Asura
Search the pile of discarded kingdom cards and shuffle any one card back into the kingdom card draw pile. Gain one sorcery token.

Foul Play
You may immediately start an intrigue contest. If you win the contest, eliminate one spy on the board.

PLAY-ON-THE-TABLE

War Elephants
Use at the start of a military contest. If you roll at least one shield result during the contest, add two successes to your total, but for every miss you roll, remove one shield result from the roll.

Kshatriyan Lancers
Use after rolling the contest dice during a military contest. Reroll up to two dice in your roll.

Khurum
Use after rolling the contest dice during a military contest where you are the defender. Reroll up to three dice in your roll.

Elite Soldiers of Ayodhya
Use when you perform a forced march. You are not required to remove an army unit from this forced march.

Ghemur
Use after rolling the contest dice during an intrigue contest. Reroll up to two dice in your roll and count any shields as successes during that contest.

Khemsa
Use during your refresh phase. Spend one sorcery to flip any character card so that it needs to be refreshed.

Cultists of the Devourer God
Use at the start of a military contest. Eliminate one of your army units in the contest to add one success to your total and gain a sorcery token.

Thugees
Use at the start of a military contest. Pay one gold to eliminate one enemy army unit in that contest.

King Bhunda Chand
Use at any time during you turn. You may remove one of your spies in a neutral province to immediately place a tower in that province.

INSTANT

Opium Dreams
Play when you win an intrigue contest. The emissary used in the contest remains in play. Draw a strategy card.

A Devi's Influence
If you are a non-Conan player, play at the start of the Conan player's turn, before Conan has moved. Conan may not be moved this turn.

Miracles of the Holy Men
Play at any time during your turn. Spend up to two sorcery tokens to receive double the amount of gold.

Path of Destiny
Play at the start of your turn, before selecting a fate die. You may reroll one of the available fate dice before choosing a fate die.

Subterfuge
Play when another player uses an intrigue action to forge or break an alliance. That player rolls one less die for each of your emissaries located in adjacent provinces, or in the contested province (to a minimum of one die).

Decoy
Play when one of your spies is eliminated. You may place that spy in a neutral or enemy province instead of removing it from the board.

Political Pressure
Play when you start a contest and one of your spies is in an adjacent province. That spy can be used in the contest even though it is in an adjacent province.

SORCERIES

Arcane Spells
Use after having rolled the contest dice in a contest to reroll all of your dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don't know, CL was in the forefront of the Age of Conan bgg revival a couple of years ago, that helped persuade the designers to move ahead again on the game! And using some of his fan rules had me taking it down from the shelf and teaching it to a whole bunch of new pals! Thanks again, CL.

This idea is great, although I can't really see the new board in the photo--its mostly just blank, with only very faint outlines. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss ideas, or do it here. I think we will see the 5-6 Player "Expansion Two," because the designers want to do it--after all, it was their idea way back, when the small company they were working for collapsed on them. I'm sure it will eventually be sweet for them to get it out officially.

But it will take a while for sure. In the mean time, Chris will I'm sure do a bang up job with a home brewed version. Go to it, man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jon! Glad you rediscovered this wonderful game.

Feel free to discuss any ideas in this thread, that's what it's for. I too think that they want to make another expansion. They had a larger board in mind when designing the core game's board.

I'll fill in the contours soon, just fiddling with the idea of adding a savage province north of Vendhya named Himelian Mountains, but that brings the number of provinces up, and I'm quite satisfied as it is. Any ideas are welcome ☺

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a list of the Khitan cards I have so far:

EVENTS

Traders from the Far East
Gain two gold for each enemy province containing at least one of your emissaries.

Silken Tongue
Move one of your emissaries, then start an intrigue contest in a province where you have an emissary. During this contest, you count axes as successes.

The Children of Yag-Kosha
You receive one sorcery token and may place one new army unit in one of your armies.

The Art of War
Search the strategy deck for any one strategy card and take it to your hand. Then shuffle the strategy deck. You may then take a military action.

Oriental Mysticism
Refresh up to two play-on-the-table cards without spending gold. Gain two sorcery tokens.

Army of Untouchables (working name)
Add one army unit in up to two of your armies and draw one strategy card.

Dabbling in Forbidden Arts
Eliminate one of your spies in a neutral province to gain sorcery tokens equal to the province's rating.

PLAY-ON-THE-TABLE

Last Legion
Use at the start of a military contest. Your opponent rolls one less die. In addition, if you are defending one of your provinces in this contest, you may add one army unit to the defending army.

Khitan Longbowmen
Use at the start of a military contest. Add one success to your total.

Pra-Eun of the Scarlet Circle
Use at any time during your turn. You may spend two sorcery tokens. Place one of the tokens on one of another player's available sorceries and play out the effect as if the sorcery was yours.

Priests of Yun
Use at any time during your turn. You may either receive one sorcery token or you spend one sorcery token and eliminate one of your army units to draw two kingdom cards.

Tamarin's Tigers
Use when you perform a forced march. You are not required to remove an army unit from this forced march.

Leng Shi
?

Kang Hsiu
Use after rolling the contest dice during an intrigue contest. Reroll up to two dice in your roll. You may also spend one sorcery to add one success to your total.

Warriors of Yun
Use after rolling the contest dice during a military contest. Reroll up to two dice in your roll. You may also spend one sorcery token to count axes as hits during that contest.

Yah Chieng, God-Emperor of Khitai
Use at any time during your turn. You may either receive two sorcery tokens or you spend one sorcery token and draw one kingdom card and one strategy card.

INSTANTS

Khitan Astrologers
Play at the start of another player's turn, before they have chosen a fate die. You may choose a fate die for that player.

Loyal Subjects of the God-Emperor
Play at the end of a military contest. Discard this card instead of removing an army unit for losing the contest.

The Great Wall of Khitai
Play at the start of a military contest in any province adjacent to Khitai. Your opponent rolls a maximum of three dice.

Calling the Ancestral Spirits
Play at any time during your turn. You gain one sorcery token for each 'Crom, count the dead' token you have.

Whispers of the Dead
Play when you receive a 'Crom, count the dead' token. You receive an additional 'Crom, count the dead' token.

Hypnotic Mesmer
Play when Conan is about to attack one of your spies. Conan may not attack your spy during this turn.

Shadows of Jade
Play at any time during your turn. Gain two gold for each spy in an enemy province containing a city.

SORCERIES

Arcane Spells
Use after rolling the dice during a contest: reroll all the dice in your roll.

Sign of Yun
Use at any time during your turn. Discard one sorcery token from another player.

Ward of Cheng-Ho
Use at the start of a military contest. Your opponent may not use sorcery during that contest to reroll dice, empower kingdom cards or sorceries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made some edits.

My first post, with the map, has been updated with a new image.
The list of card names for Khitai and Vendhya have been edited.

---

I am thinking about a new Objective Cards as well:

Jeweled Thrones of the Earth
Control at least one province in three or more different regions (north, south, central, east or far east).
2 Empire Points

The Silken Road (similar to The Road of Kings)
Control some provinces in the Far East, not sure which yet. Maybe Southern Hyrkania and either Kusan or Meru.
1 Empire Point

Eastern Empire (similar to Hyborian Empire)
Have at least two forts and/or cities in the Far East and a greater total of forts pluts cities in the Far East.
2 Empire Points

Trade Empire (similar to Merchant Kings)
Have at least three towers and/or cities in the Far East and a greater total of towers plus cities in the Far East.
2 Empire Points

(name pending) Any suggestion??
You accomplish this objective if you have more Crom, Count the Dead tokens than any other player.
1 Empire Point

---

And here are some sketch rules for Seafaring, which is essential for the expansion board to work with the other kingdoms, and of course Conan:

- It is possible to move "by sea". This means that when you move an army or an emissary, you can move from one friendly coastal non-savage province to another coastal non-savage province (friendly, neutral or enemy), but with the following limitations:

* You can only move a maximum of 3 army units per "sea move".
* You can only move one emissary per round with a "sea move".
* You cannot arrive in or depart from another player's kingdom, only your own.

- To move Conan by the sea, you have the same province limitations as above, plus you need to pay 1 gold.

The reason for the limitations is that it has proven to be extremely powerful if you can move an entire army of 5 units. The limitation has proven to be quite balanced during the one test.

---

At lastly, new artifacts.

Scrolls of Skelos
Bidding for the Scrolls of Skelos is done with sorcery tokens instead of adventure tokens. Place one sorcery token on the scrolls when you acquire it. Every time a player takes a monster adventure token from the Adventure Track, you gain one sorcery token.

Book of Thoth
Bidding for the book is also done with sorcery tokens. There are two variants that I am thinking of:

1. When you use one of your Sorceries, discard the used sorcery token instead of placing it on the used Sorcery, allowing you to use that Sorcery again immediately.

2. At any time during your turn, spend a sorcery token to remove all sorcery tokens from your sorcery card and free up your spells.

Any suggestions??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Did this about a year ago, but was waiting to play Official Expansion before proceeding further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As on the previous version that I put up 2 years ago or so, the idea is to have Turan start with control of Southern Hyrkania if the 5/6 is in play.

The blue Ps are ports (where an Urban symbol is in a coastal area); sea moves must begin in ports but need not end in one.
Red numbered areas are Savage.
H = Hills
U = Urban
P = Plains
W = Woods

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HAT miniatures do Ancient Indian miniatures and Zvezda do Mongols, both in plastic 1/72nd, which would be super for Vendhya and Khitai (always assuming we never get an official 5/6 player expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are, in my opinion, way too many provinces in the Far East in that map. If the aim is to make it easy to bring Conan to that board, there needs to be fewer. This is something that's been playtested here. I even had a hard time deciding whether to add Himelian Mountains or not, but in the end it proved to be a good decision.

We have played the game using your roles, and while they add a bit more character to Conan than the official "roles", they added a complexity that took precious time, especially the voting part now took longer as people needed to think and yadda yadda. But they are full of good ideas.

I think that the Chronicle Cards in the KS rules are a good nod to your roles as I see lots of similarities, and I cannot but think that the designers maybe looked at them in the thread where we posted them and based the Chronicle Cards on those ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it certainly needs playtesting. If the far-east is too small then Turan will just get cramped and crushed as piggy-in-the-middle. Also I want to be able to play a 2 or 3 player game with Turan/Vendhya/Khitai, and for that you need proper room in the east. My aim is to overcome the distance effect on Conan by making him sometimes able to move faster. Have not finally decided how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good point.

This sort of expansion would be a hard nut to crack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a test session this weekend, I am split. On one hand, your map, Mike, works for a Turan vs. Khitai vs. Vendhya scenario, but not for a scenario involving only Khitai for example. We tried both Turan/Vendhya/Khitai and Turan/Aquilonia/Khitai. The latter was more or less a one man show for Khitai in the Far East. Turan could've gone there, but that would've left Aquilonia to do what he pleased.

My deduction from this session is that maybe the new board would only be used when playing 5 or 6 players, or alternatively using interchangeable boards (which is awkward and expensive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the list of Vendhya cards, Khitai cards, new Objectives and Artifacts. Take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My prototype map is just that. Something to test. I never envisaged it would work for Khitai versus a western pair.
Turan vs Vendhya vs Khitai seems like it would be perfect (obviously Central Hyboria is not in play in that case).

A four using my map is problematic. Need to think that through. Probably Turan, Khitai, Vendhya, and Aquilonia with Central Hyboria in play.

With five I would have thought the original four plus Vendhya (not Khitai as it would be too unmolested).

Must stress that I have not playtested it at all, as waiting on trying out the expansion first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I completely understand it is a test. Consider this feedback "Test Session #1" The original board is very nicely tuned to work in all scenarios, except for maybe Aquilonia vs Stygia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added card effects to Vendhya and Khitai, and a new Objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you've got two more sets of rules, the Expansion and the Kickstarter Edition, are you going to use them in your play tests? They might lead to some new ideas for the map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, though I have been using the alpha rules of the expansion already. The "only" new stuff are Sorceries, Chronicles, Conquests and Legendary Items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestions for Adventure Cards for the Far East:

5 Adventure Tokens
Kosala
Kusan
Himelian Mountains
Meru
Vendhya
Northern Hyrkania
Southern Hyrkania

6 Adventure Tokens
Khitai
Kambuja
Kara Korum

Suggestions for Story Cards for the Far East:

Conan the Victorious
VENDHYA
Thief - Conan is accused of murdering a prince and flees to Vendhya, where he becomes entangled in a sorcerous plot.
AGILITY (TREASURE)

Conan the Unconquered
SOUTHERN HYRKANIA
Sellsword - The evil sorcerer Jhandar wishes to raise an army of deathless slaves, and his meddling with chaos brings him into conflict with Conan.
STRENGTH (MONSTERS)

The City of Skulls
MERU
Warlord - Conan and Juma are taken prisoner by the people of the City of Skulls in Meru.
CUNNING (WOMEN)

The Curse of the Monolith
THE FAR EAST
Adventurer - Conan is tricked and trapped, and is forced to summon all his strength to escape a giant amoeba and his captor.
STRENGTH (MONSTERS)

Conan the Marauder
NORTHERN HYRKANIA
Adventurer - The schemes of an exiled wizard are foiled as Conan tries to prove himself to a Hyrkanian warlord.
CUNNING (TREASURE)

Conan the Avenger
KHITAI
Warlord - Conan travels to distant Khitai to rescue his beloved Zenobia from the clutches of the God-Emperor.
AGILITY (WOMEN)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.