Popular Tags: [View All]
X YZ
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My own board game preference tends to skew towards the drier Euro variety (I appreciate them for their design and the E-word) but these don't often fit most of my gaming group's (non/new gamers mostly) definition of fun.

I'm starting to think that more "thematic" fare would make for funner sessions (though I'm happy to consider all games).

Quote:
For the purposes of this thread, let's define "fun" as "maximum laughs per gaming session". The more they're laughing, the more fun they're having.

The easy recommendations when such questions are brought up are the "Party Games". Fair enough, but I'd like to see if that same amount of enjoyment can be derived from other (non-party) games.

Quote:
For the purposes of this thread, let's define "party games" as anything that shows up on BGG's list of party games. All these are ineligible:
https://boardgamegeek.com/partygames/browse/boardgame

I'm looking for more Galaxy Trucker (and less Codenames or The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon).

So, fellow BGGers, what in your opinion are the most fun board games out there? What are some anecdotes where laughter has prevailed over a game session?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much down to taste, Cards Against Humanity has us in Stitches, and so did munchkin when we first played it.

But I have laughs had laughs over squad leader and Challenger 2000 (a miniatures gamer).

It all depends on your (and your players) sense of humour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman + The Reaper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Russell
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I agree that everything is very hit and miss here. My group loves Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert, and Heroes Wanted at smaller player counts, then Camel Up and Resistance at higher ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We laughed are butts off when going through the rules of Tanbark Trail.

I couldn't catch my breath in a game of Black Gold because I was laughing so hard.

It is impossible to not laugh during a game of Slappy Hands.

Honestly, for me, it's the company versus the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based solely on laughs per turn, I'd probably recommend Wiz-War. The expansions are good too.

It's hard not to laugh when you've stolen a treasure from someone and gotten it all the way back to your base, and the next turn, someone else eats through a wall to reach it, uses their extra arms to pick the treasure back up, rotates the sector to get a clear shot back to their base and drops it there with stretchy arms FOR THE WIN!

Or the Gravity spell where everyone is forced to drop everything they are carrying on the floor of the dungeon for x turns and you position yourself to run through everyone's piles of stuff grabbing whatever you want when the spell expires on your turn and then everyone else hates you and tries to kill you for the rest of the game.

Or casting Lightening at someone then Create Wall so it bounces back and forth repeatedly frying them.

Good game, very funny. And I think the best part is that the funniest moments don't come from casting one card, they come when you string together two or three or four and everyone is going, wow - I didn't think of combining them THAT way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Space Alert; things going wonderfully wrong due to time pressure leads to lots of laughter (+ just reading the rules is fun)
2) Also fun due to things going wrong under time pressure: Space Cadets: Dice Duel
3) Red Dragon Inn; funny characters, ("hey where did the little guy go?")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manila is a nicely-themed Euro, but essentially a gambling game. Lots of hilarity when long shot bets come in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a lot of fun with Sheriff of Nottingham. And I think it is more a euro, set-collection game than party game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
River Dragons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always laugh really hard when playing Battleball. There isnt much game here, but I find it incredibly fun.

Also, Mansions of Madness is one that I had a lot of fun playing but I think a lot of that had to do with the group I was playing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Hurricane
Utah
flag msg tools
Loopin' Louie

RoboRally watching your or others' robots get all jacked

Wicked Witches Way when you close the book and suddenly can't remember a thing

Escape: The Curse of the Temple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think auctions can appeal to party game fans, so how about For Sale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not a comedy game, but Pandemic: The Cure makes us laugh every time.

Highly thematic, rolling dice is exiting, and as a cooperative it's easy for new players.

We always mock whoever rolls a Bio-hazard symbol for "not washing their hands before seeing the patients" or something like that.

It's unscripted comedy. A few bad rolls, or constantly getting the same symbols, or even never rolling a Bio-hazard, make for light-hearted banter around the table.

As a cooperative, table talk is a constant and we are always engaged in the rolls. It's not super lucky, though. It's very puzzle-y.

The main "Con" would be: Beware the Alpha Player. It's easy for someone quick on their toes to hijack slower players' turns. But that would be my only strike against the game, and it's mostly about the group, not the game itself.

It's also small and easy to take with you (if you ditch the box it comes in).

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
My group and I find Fief one of the funniest games. Even when awful things happen (and it's usually the fault of the player) it's still a riot. Watching a wife kill her husband so she can take the crown and go for a solo win is hysterical to me . . . plus when people die of the plague I always smile, even if it was me.

. . . my group is weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
The Starphalluses of Catan is hilarious. Don't forget to 'shake your ship' to see how much thrust you have each turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alchemists for me. Almost every time someone published a theory there would be at least one of us who is skeptical about it, or someone who will try to confuse the rest by saying "eh are you sure??". The best would be when someone look at their own board and say "oh shit".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Too much down to taste, Cards Against Humanity has us in Stitches, and so did munchkin when we first played it.

But I have laughs had laughs over squad leader and Challenger 2000 (a miniatures gamer).

It all depends on your (and your players) sense of humour.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of suggestions are only funny the first couple of times. And really you may only want to play them a couple of times because they don't have any staying power. So how do you judge a game that has a ton of laughs a few times and then never gets played again? I think replayability and good game design has to be taken into account.

I can state with certainty that my various game groups have had the most total laughs over Magic: The Gathering and Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to be different for everybody depending on your gaming tastes and your game group. But mostly I think it's funny when you're able to foil other peoples plans in games.
Here are a few examples:
When you reserve a card in Splendor that somebody wanted.
When you get an extra meeple in a city to steal it from someone who did most of the work building it in Carcassonne.
When you play that Loki card in Blood Rage to steal someone's rage and they can't do any more actions the rest of the age.
When you take the theif or assassin in Citadels and manage to guess exactly who took what role.
When you're the only one buying and using attack cards in Dominion and watching your opponents suffer.
When you first reveal your power in Cosmic Encounter and you see the blood drain from your opponents' faces as they realize their ships don't go to the warp but are utterly destroyed and out of the game.
When you place order tokens on top of your opponents in Forbidden Stars and throw off your opponents entire turn.

Anyways, that's just what I think. It's really up to you and your group and what you enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Pearce
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had some good laughs with
Cutthroat Caverns,

Our own variations of
Dominion like speed Dominion, and everyone play at the same time Dominion, and random set-up Dominion, and Mystery pile of cards for 4 gold each Dominion...

And Tales of the Arabian Nights.

Honestly, our group can have a good laugh about pretty much anything. I think it all depends on your group. I think it also depends on your view of gaming. Is it a competition, a social event, or purely entertainment? If everything is viewed as a competition and winning is super important, I think it's much harder to laugh at the action at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe check out;

Isla Dorada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your group may like Tales of the Arabian Nights. It was too random for me, but there are certainly some good laughs in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina
Canada
Fort Saskatchewan
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think defining fun in "laughs" makes it really tough, lots of games are very fun but not "funny"

My husband and I and literally everyone we have introduced to Imperial Settlers thinks it is a very fun game. It doesn't make us laugh per say but it's very fun.

Castle Panic is an extremely fun game, if you like co-ops, its not complex but we've had some laughs over our luck with the monster token draws.

Evolution We enjoyed this game, because who doesn't want to create the master race of dinosaurs? We had a lot of laughs over the name chart on the player guides for what to call your dinosaur. I had and intelligent carnivore and the page informed me my species name should be "Smarti Nomnom"

r0t1prata wrote:
Alchemists for me. Almost every time someone published a theory there would be at least one of us who is skeptical about it, or someone who will try to confuse the rest by saying "eh are you sure??". The best would be when someone look at their own board and say "oh shit".

We have had a funny game or two of Alchemists, I once knocked over my deduction board, everything fell out before I put in 2 things I just discovered!
Disclaimer: Every now and then Alchemists can be a little intense though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.