Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » News

Subject: New details on the upcoming expansion from UnGeek.ph! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Papa
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally posted from UnGeek's website http://www.ungeek.ph/2016/02/exclusive-new-details-on-dead-o...

Hot on the heels of UnGeek’s last article, the good folks at Gaming Library, the official distributor of Plaid Hat Games in the Philippines provided us with exclusive details on Dead of Winter: The Long Night, the upcoming stand-alone expansion for Dead of Winter.

So these are the facts we gathered, along with some speculations that might be included in the game. Keep in mind that this is not the final product and actual contents, art, and gameplay elements may change when the game is released in August. Let the theory-crafting begin!

Based on the description, the stand-alone expansion features a brand-new colony along with new survivors. What’s interesting here is that now you have the chance to customize your colony by making improvements to it. Also, it is stated that the outside locations could evolve at some point due to some random events provided by the crossroad cards… Double-sided location boards perhaps? Additionally, it’s pretty clear that Raxxon, a fictional company from Plaid Hat’s other game called Specter Ops, is present here as one of the game’s 9 locations. We can also speculate that there will be a new type of enemy as “human experiments” were mentioned.

Probably the most interesting detail here is the possibility of a colony vs. colony mechanic as bandits could potentially raid and pillage opposing colonies. It is still not clear if this mechanic involves team vs. team aspects or by the use of a random mechanic provided by the game. But it’s still interesting to know that aside from the internal conflicts and struggles each player has, there is also a potential human-threat coming from the outside. As if the zombies and biting cold weren’t enough!

Looking at the components list, it seems that there is a good amount of stuff that was put here for it to be stand-alone as well as supplementing the base game in terms of new crossroad and character cards. Fans of the original game will be particularly excited for these new additions, as it breathes new life in terms of new encounters and character-interactions.

Aside from this, we can see that there are 30 Frosted Action Dice provided in the game… Now, this could just be the same action dice that is used just like in the previous game (only a bit more aesthetically-pleasing), or it could be something else entirely…New types of zombies perhaps?

We also get to see our old friend the Exposure Die that I hope this time around is much more balanced, since there are some gamers who say that it’s a bit heavy on the “Tooth” side. Also, we can expect the expansion to have 20 new characters. Speaking of which, here are some of them along with some crisis cards:

We now know that there will be a Prison Guard, a Public Speaker, and a Regular Guy in the game. You might want to check out that Regular Guy again. Seems familiar? Well it’s none other than Rich Sommer of Mad Men fame! Also look at the Rosa Rodriguez’ card; we can see that aside from killing zombies, there is now an option to eliminate bandits as well.

The new Crisis cards are interesting as well… THE VAULT card (pictured on the leftmost side of the image) gives an option to reveal a personal secret (outside of game maybe?) to the other players. Any player who chooses not to reveal has to add 2 more zombies to the colony. KIDNAPPED, on the other hand, instantly removes the survivor with the highest influence in the game, if the requirements are not met. Savage!

These are just some of the info we got and we’ll be sure to give you the latest updates as the game draws ever nearer! Are you as excited for the game as we are?! It’s slated for a GenCon release this August.

For all the freshest news in gaming, hit that LIKE button on our Facebook Page ( https://www.facebook.com/ungeekph/?fref=ts ) and keep it here at UnGeek.PH! Anything we might have missed or something you would like to get featured? Hit us up in the comments section below. Till next time! Get to the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am already impatient enough about this game coming out, but the latest news makes me want this release even more. What I really hope for is the promise of customizable games, which Isaac Vega seemed to say in his latest interview. The idea that this new game doesn't just add more content and ideas to DoW, but also adds it in a way that seems to allow you to customize your own experience how you want is really exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Duderino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully I can squeeze all the new stuff in the original game so I can throw away that hideous new box they unveiled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Colony vs Colony sound interesting. Had a thought that perhaps it's a variant that will require the original base game in addition to TLN.

Two base camps, lot's of location to battle over, raiding the other teams camp, stealing food and supplies, destroying their zombie blockades, muhahahahahahahahah! Ahem... could be fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WakkaWakkatronic wrote:
Hopefully I can squeeze all the new stuff in the original game so I can throw away that hideous new box they unveiled.

I think this might be doubtful. The original box was quite full iirc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh aka "Ossian Grr"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder, will the expansion include any blank Crossroads cards in the box? I want to print out so many custom cards from the Creator, but I use clear sleeves..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko
Germany
OWL
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblue75 wrote:
Colony vs Colony sound interesting. Had a thought that perhaps it's a variant that will require the original base game in addition to TLN.

Two base camps, lot's of location to battle over, raiding the other teams camp, stealing food and supplies, destroying their zombie blockades, muhahahahahahahahah! Ahem... could be fun

same thought over here ... imagine an epic 5 vs. 5 battle ... would be amazing!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin D. C.
msg tools
mbmbmb
9 locations? O_O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
United States
Fredonia
New York
flag msg tools
I have been excited since hearing this would be an expansion. Then got even more excited in the last month or so when info started to trickle out. Now it has really become something to salivate over as this big release of information has come.

They have covered everything I would have wanted in an expansion and then some. It seems like they are not just expanding the game, but with the corporation and new human experiments, expanding the entire story of the universe as well.

The only thing I do wonder on is the 9 locations. It would be amazing if it was 9 totally new locations but for some reason I am guessing we will get the original 6, plus 3 new locations, which is still sweet for me. However, the idea of 9 all new locations would allow for a LOT of customization.

Regardless, no matter how broke I may be, I will return cans to find the money to get this on its release day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decayed Beauty wrote:
I have been excited since hearing this would be an expansion. Then got even more excited in the last month or so when info started to trickle out. Now it has really become something to salivate over as this big release of information has come.

They have covered everything I would have wanted in an expansion and then some. It seems like they are not just expanding the game, but with the corporation and new human experiments, expanding the entire story of the universe as well.

The only thing I do wonder on is the 9 locations. It would be amazing if it was 9 totally new locations but for some reason I am guessing we will get the original 6, plus 3 new locations, which is still sweet for me. However, the idea of 9 all new locations would allow for a LOT of customization.

Regardless, no matter how broke I may be, I will return cans to find the money to get this on its release day.

+1 to all of this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else feel like dumping their original copy and going with what seems like a more well rounded and "evolved" 2nd edition imho?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah I just want a lot of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Anyone else feel like dumping their original copy and going with what seems like a more well rounded and "evolved" 2nd edition imho?

Tell me about it. I just got DoW for Christmas and it's already obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

It's not obsolete, they have completely different survivors, completely different main objectives, completely different secret objectives, completely different crises, completely different crossroad cards, lots of different items. Anyone who buys one and enjoys it is likely to want the other one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
Carcking wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

It's not obsolete, they have completely different survivors, completely different main objectives, completely different secret objectives, completely different crises, completely different crossroad cards, lots of different items. Anyone who buys one and enjoys it is likely to want the other one as well.

Do they play combined or must they remain completely separate? If there is no reason to mesh the components it is totally understandable why someone would only want the standalone "expansion". Or is that just me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
joepinion wrote:
Carcking wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Do they play combined or must they remain completely separate? If there is no reason to mesh the components it is totally understandable why someone would only want the standalone "expansion". Or is that just me?

They can be combined, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:
joepinion wrote:
Carcking wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

That fact would be worth publicizing as the speculation gets rampant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
joepinion wrote:

It is literally the first line on the promotional image:

Plaid Hat Games wrote:
Dead of Winter - The Long Night is a standalone board game as a well as an expansion for Dead of Winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:
joepinion wrote:

Plaid Hat Games wrote:
Dead of Winter - The Long Night is a standalone board game as a well as an expansion for Dead of Winter.

Riiigghhht.

I guess I'm asking for more details. What parts are "expansion?"

saying simply "its an expansion you can play by itself" really isn't helpful.

Can you just use the locations? Do the Crossroards cards combine into a giant deck, thus diluting the chance that a card driving the story comes up even less? Is it modular or limited - i.e. need to use all locations, raiders only if X is included, form a random pool of 30 survivors to draw from, draw only from expansion characters if playing with x, y, z, etc.

Whatever. I should stop. Clearly, everything makes sense with that one sentence and I am just insane. I sense that now. Maybe if I just get my keyboard a bit cleaner the voices in my head will agree on something.

Wait, is there a REASON to combine the two - maybe explain that and the original won't instantly lose value... no wait. I am just confusing things...

Edit: Yes.

Edit 2: I suppose my referral to publicizing surmises that the heretofore existing materials are not achieving the level of explanation required to show dual ownership value - as people want to dump one in favor of the newer one - as is often the case with human and boardgamer nature...

Edit 3. Yes.

Edit 4. Wait, they said if you buy one and enjoy it you will want the other one as well. Good enough for me. End of questions.

Edit 5. Oh.... It says "each of which is introduced with its own game scenario". That makes sense - modular. Sorry, should have read the flyer more carefully. Man I want to delete this post.

I am obviously too preoccupied with Negan to really pay attention - sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:
joepinion wrote:

Plaid Hat Games wrote:

Easy to say...but what I got out of this whole discussion is that the new cards do not/will not/may not match the base set that you have because there have been multiple printings.

And does not the standalone expansion include the entire base game? Or has that been asked and answered somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Carcking wrote:
Salt-Man Z wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:
joepinion wrote:

Plaid Hat Games wrote:

Easy to say...but what I got out of this whole discussion is that the new cards do not/will not/may not match the base set that you have because there have been multiple printings.

And does not the standalone expansion include the entire base game? Or has that been asked and answered somewhere?

I think given that it's specifically said it could be played standalone or as an expansion implies that it isn't simply a the base + more stuff. Otherwise, that statement just doesn't make much sense.

Comparing

to

10 Dual-Sided Main Objective Cards
24 Secret Objective Cards
10 Betrayal Secret Objective Cards
10 Exiled Survivor Secret Objective Cards
30 Survivor Cards
5 Player Reference Sheets
1 First Player Token
25 Starting Item Cards
20 Police Station Search Deck Cards
20 Grocery Store Search Deck Cards
20 School Search Deck Cards
20 Gas Station Search Deck Cards
20 Library Search Deck Cards
20 Hospital Search Deck Cards
20 Crisis Cards
80 Crossroad Cards
25 Wound Tokens
20 Helpless Survivor Tokens
20 Food Tokens
20 Noise Tokens
20 Barricade Tokens
6 Starvation Tokens
2 Track Markers
30 Zombie Standees
30 Zombie Tokens (use if you run out of standees)
30 Survivor Standees
60 Plastic Standee Stands
1 Colony Board
6 Location Cards
1 Rulebook
30 Action Dice
1 Exposure Die

I think it has pretty much the same amount of stuff as the base game. I just think you can combine it together with the base to make a lot more variety sand such. I'm not sure how fiddly it will be, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion will be available for preorder from Plaid Hat Games from Wednesday March 16th. I would assume there will be some sort of incentive (shipping discount or promo card - probably the Rich Sommer one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where didi you learn this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb

Its been up for a while on other sites, but this is the only way to get the promo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
New art has been released in some tweets from Boardgame Corner:

Currently waiting to have these images approved into the gallery.

And yes that is a chimp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.