20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Cards with round corners or sharp rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
me myself
msg tools
mb
Which do you prefer and why? Cards with a regular sharp corner, or when the corners are rounded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A rounded corner is almost always a better bet -- a sharp corner is easy to fold/bend/break, this will mark the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
redtiger7 wrote:
Which do you prefer and why? Cards with a regular sharp corner, or when the corners are rounded?

I didn't think anything used square anymore.

Square is a finer point that can catch, deform and tear. That's why corners get rounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharp cornered cards screams low budget and/or amateur.

You still see them in Crowdfunds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Square cut is only okay if the cards are sleeved, which introduce a square corner regardless.

Otherwise, round those corners!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Round, always round, I don't see any reason for a commercial product to have sharp corners, like none whatsoever. There is no real practical reason to have sharp corners. At all.

Did I mention round?

Round
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
Round, always round, I don't see any reason for a commercial product to have sharp corners, like none whatsoever. There is no real practical reason to have sharp corners. At all.

Did I mention round?

Round
But Steven, how should the corners be cut? Square?

Yeah, I think pretty much any playing card that's shuffled and held fanned in your hand has rounded corners. But if the cards are only used as tiles or something then square corners would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TimST1E wrote:
But if the cards are only used as tiles or something then square corners would work.

I round the corners of most of my tiles these days as well - just with a smaller radius cutter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Sheng
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think sharp corners have a unprofessional feel. Its kinda industry standard to be round, and I think its .25inch? This is the puncher i use.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018BYEWK/ref=twister_B013RN69YM?_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimST1E wrote:
Tuism wrote:

Did I mention round?

Round
But Steven, how should the corners be cut? Square?

Yeah, I think pretty much any playing card that's shuffled and held fanned in your hand has rounded corners. But if the cards are only used as tiles or something then square corners would work.

Wargamers corner-round their chits. Think about that... CHITS! Those little 1-inch or even 3/4-inch squares. Once upon a time, I thought them crazy ..

... I mean, imagine this gung-ho guy wearing his camo pants and a Necromunda or Warhammer shirt ... rocking out to some death metal band, smoking hand rolled ciggs ... and what is he doing?

He's got a nail cutter, and individually rounding the corners of his chits.

(even worse, they actually gather around a table together for some communal corner-rounding ... and chit chat like little old hens)

... I even remember someone talking about sanding the corners of their square-base miniatures....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sharp corners are for chumps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rounded. My corner cutter really pimps up my PNPs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round! Looking at your games owned list it would seem the publishers of those games agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:

What model of cutter do you use? I have Mk 1 Scissors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
ex1st wrote:

Like this http://www.matakki.com/ts/the-vintage-mk1 ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rounded. I even use a corner-cutter to round the corners of cardstock mats (e.g. the races and territories in Tiny Epic Kingdoms).

Square corners don't just look unprofessional, they tend to get dinged up and look ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:

One really popular corner-rounder amongst hardcore PnP people is the Oregon Laminations one:

http://www.oregonlam.com/C-006-3MM_3mm_1_8_Corner_Rounder_Cu...

It's expensive, but it's awesome. I have the 3mm heavy-duty one linked above, but they do a variety of radii in regular and heavy-duty. I make things like board tiles out of 1.5-2mm greyboard with glossy photo paper and a layer of vinyl cold laminate, sometimes backed with cardstock... and this thing goes through it like it's not there and cuts fantastic rounded corners every single time.

I seem to recall that they're originally intended for clipping the corners of plastic security badges... but it's kind of telling that the intended-use selection on their website starts off with "used for counter clipping"!

I also own a couple of the "Crop-o-Dile Corner Chomper" two-sided corner cutters. These are useful because they're cheaper and therefore it's more affordable to own them in a range of radii, but they don't deal well with heavier stock. They're decent for cards, though, for those occasions when I want a different radius.

The cheapest option is the little thumb-operated ones. Again, they're OK for thinner stock, but start to struggle when they get to the thickness of home-made playing cards, and absolutely couldn't go further. Worse, they can really mangle the corner of your thing if they go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
GeorgeMo wrote:
ex1st wrote:

Like this http://www.matakki.com/ts/the-vintage-mk1 ?

Wow, there really are Mk 1 scissors! wow

Bichatse wrote:

One really popular corner-rounder amongst hardcore PnP people is the Oregon Laminations one:

http://www.oregonlam.com/C-006-3MM_3mm_1_8_Corner_Rounder_Cu...

Thank you for the helpful information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jake mentioned it ... Crop a Dile Corner Chompers

It eliminates having to draw guidelines to cut with scissors. And I think it's faster and gives a better consistency of cuts. I managed to convince my wife that it's useful for her crafts too -- rounded corners on pictures, etc... And that's how I managed to get the $$$ ... plus a 50% coupon at AC Moore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Jake mentioned it ... Crop a Dile Corner Chompers

It eliminates having to draw guidelines to cut with scissors. And I think it's faster and gives a better consistency of cuts. I managed to convince my wife that it's useful for her crafts too -- rounded corners on pictures, etc... And that's how I managed to get the $$$ ... plus a 50% coupon at AC Moore.

Sturv, thanks for the additional information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.